Filters?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flytyer

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone uses filters? I have a couple of Brighams and a Savinelli filter pipe but all of the others are just regular pipes. Im just looking for some thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,
Joe

All of my pipes used for outdoor smoking are filtered-- Dr. Grabows with 6mm paper filters, Big Bens with 9mm filters, and Savinelli with balsa filters. The reason I use them is to cut down on excess moisture thus negating the need for caring pipe cleaners. I prefer Big Ben 9mm filters. Personally I don't notice any significant loss of flavor. It is an extra expense though.

Jim...my ha'pence worth

I like both the Savinelli and the Brigham wooden filters. Never liked the paper ones (medico etc).

In my mind, a filter pipe is sort of a mimic - pretending to be a really well engineered, dry smoking pipe. And I don't like having to buy filters (even if they are cheap), so I tend to just stick with well engineerd non filter pipes.

I leave the filters in my two Brigham's and the charcoal filters in my Vauen's. I hate the mess with the Savinelli balsa filters so take them out along with the paper filters in cobs.

I quit using the paper filters in my cobs and Dr. Grabows. They were just too mesy and, worse, clogged up too quickly - often during the first bowl. I have detected no more ash or gunk coming through without them than when using them and I can run a pipe cleaner through them now without taking a warm pipe apart.

I still use the balsa filters in my Savinellis mostly because I have a large stock of them and they don't seem to restrict the air/smoke flow. Like the others, though, I have smoked these pipes without the filters at times. Again detected no deterioriation in the smoking experience and may not bother with them once my current stock of balsa filters is gone.

I use filters when smoking a heavily cased aromatic. Seems to help relieve some of the moisture issues.

I used to use them but stopped because they were expensive & messy. Can't say I've noticed a very different smoke (it's been years) but cleaning the filter cavities in more of a chore.

My only filter pipes are a few of my Savinellis.
The balsa filters aren't really "filters," since the
smoke doesn't pass "through" the thing.

Hermit":3ziwfe6r said:
My only filter pipes are a few of my Savinellis.
The balsa filters aren't really "filters," since the
smoke doesn't pass "through" the thing.
I agree, they are more like a sponge, soaking up moisture, though mine do turn a darker brown after a couple of bowls of baccy. I like them cause you still get the full flavor of the tobacco but not the moisture i.e. tounge bite.

I have several filter pipes and I use the meerschaum filled filters in them. I notice no change in flavor, but get a dry smoke. I don't notice any restriction due to them, but that may be cause I'm used to it. I buy the filters in quantity so it's relatively cheap. :pipe:

There was an old thread on ASP years ago that made a point that many
European blends were filter friendly and without a filter tended to be harsh
and bitey.In other words they were/are blended for a filtered pipe.
Of course there were opinions pro and con...........

Winslow :sunny:

I smoke my non-filter pipes in the evening while sitting near my pipe stand and tools, that way it's easy to run a pipe cleaner through it and sit it back up to dry out.

When I leave for work in the morning, I always pick up a couple of my filter pipes. That way, I can usually smoke them all day and worry about cleaning them later on.

I like the Savinelli balsa filter pipes, but my favorites are Medico pipes with their regular paper filters. I have several "good" pipes (Peterson, Savinelli, etc) but for some strange reason, I seem to reach for my "cheap" pipes (Medico) much more often. The filters do not seem to have much effect on the taste or draw, they make for a dryer smoke, and they last 4 or 5 bowls between changes.

I know many pipe smokers detest filter pipes for whatever reason, but I have known many life-long pipe smokers who smoke filter pipes exclusively. The old-saying "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke" says it best :pipe:

I recently bought a huge Savinelli - it is stamped 'Goliath'. Like my other Savinellis it uses the balsa system. It was a good smoker right from the start but after a couple of weeks - cleaning and changing the filter after each smoke - it started being a hard draw at the beginning of each bowl. Last night I smoked it without the balsa filter. It was like magic! It drew as clean and smoothly as any pipe I have. My other Savs have never done this despite lots of smoking. So, I guess it varies a bit from pipe to pipe. I still like the system but won't use it in the Goliath and will probably try the others without the filters, too, just to see if there is any difference. Just reinforces the fact that every pipe is unique no matter the maker or style.

I have 2 Savinelli's with the balsa wood filters. In both pipes I have never smoked them with the filters and they
are great smokes. There is a little black insert provided that you can put in place of the filters and I don't use it either.
I would recommend the Savinelli filter-less. It works for me!