Finally Got To Try Stonehaven

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Our brother Fr_Tom saw where I had written that I'd like to try some Stonehaven. Given to living his Faith Tom is prone to sharing what he has with a brother. He had recently received a sample of Stonehaven from another one of our brothers and so true to his Faith he sent me a sample to try. When the package arrived it not only contained the Stonehaven but also samples of two other tobaccos.

When I opened the little bag of Stonehaven I was immediately affronted by the aroma of homemade plum jam. It reminded me of the homemade plum jam made by my late mother-in-law. She made it from the plums that grew on a plum tree in her backyard. Made the best peanut butter and jam sandwich you ever tasted. Sorry for for getting off track. We old geezers do that on occasion. Anyway back to the Stonehaven, the flakes were very dark and thin. The thinnest I remember seeing. The moisture content was about perfect so I rubbed out one of the flakes and loaded it in a plain Meerschaum billiard. Took a bit of effort to get it lit but once lit it only require two relights.  I didn't taste any fruit, fresh baked bread, or anything that could be described as sweet chocolate as some seem to find. What I got was a rich slightly sweet taste of premium tobacco. It smoked cool and dry without any tongue bite. I found it to be an enjoyable smoke but it would be hard for me to distinguish it from SG FVF. More on that later. On my next try I folded and stuffed a flake into an Edwards bent Tomahawk. the only difference was it had just a bit more nicotine strength but still within the mild range. I tried it next in a Peterson Bulldog XL13 Silver Spigot. Folded and stuffed it again it provided an enjoyable smoke  and seemed to be a lot like FVF. I decided to see if I could tell the difference between Stonehaven and FVF by filling another pipe with FVF and then smoke both pipes individually at the same time. I filled a GBD Seventy Six bent bulldog with a folded flake of FVF and relit the Stonehaven. Then I lit the FVF. As I smoked them interchangeably I found them to be almost identical. The FVF seemed to have the tiniest bit of spice that I didn't detect in the Stonehaven. I couldn't detect any Burly in any of the three samples I smoked. This is probably due to not having a sensitive palate and a lot of the nuances of taste just aren't noticed.

Conclusion: Stonehaven is a very fine mild tobacco with a somewhat sweet rich taste. It's obvious this is made from fine tobacco that will give a VA. smoker a pleasant smoke. But given the difficulty of finding it in stock I'll forgo buying it and instead rely on FVF for my desire to have a similar tasting tobacco. FVF is a lot easier to obtain.

This review was based on only trying three bowls and in all probability my opinion could change if I were to smoke an entire bag but that's not available now is it? OH I almost forgot...Thanks Tom, your sharing is to be commended. :) 

AJ

AJ...

I was happy to be able to pass on some of the sample I got. I am glad you enjoyed it, and your review had some of the poetry I lacked in mine.

Take care... Tom

Love me some Stonehead.

To me though, it's nothing like FVF. I get more treacle-like sweetness from it. FVF is much less sweet to my palate.

And it's a bit lighter in body too. More med where FVF is pretty full-bodied to me. And it seems to burn better too, after I've dried it down a little as it comes pretty moist.

Both are fine flakes, and while I might seem to sound like I favor SH over FVF that's not the case at all. They're both spendid in their own individual way to me.

Great that you got to sample some AJ, and kudos to the Padre for enabling this!

:bom: 

Cheers,

RR

I get a mild sweetness with an almost molasses quality from SH. I enjoy the taste of this quality tobacco a great deal.

The room note is strangely non-existing to my nose however. That's actually offputting to me even though I'm not the one smelling it from the "outside." There's something comforting about the smell of most of my baccys upon re-entering a room I was just smoking in a bit before, or in smelling them being smoked by someone else. Oddly, I just don't get that pleasant and welcoming smell from SH.

It's funny how people taste things so differently, and funny how this tobacco seems to really bring out big differences. I find absolutely no comparison whatsoever to FVF, tatses like steamed burleyweed with molasses and beer to me. Interesting reading the responses for sure.

Puff Daddy":1yrhnolx said:
tatses like steamed burleyweed with molasses and beer to me. Interesting reading the responses for sure.
That's an even better description than mine...yes, there's a fermented something going on there too...liquor...or maybe beer. I also don't get any FVF.

Stonehaven is a favorite around here. So is FVF. Like Brewdude I find SH to be slightly sweeter than FVF.

I've followed information on Stonehaven for years and the descriptions by most smokers hover near what Germain's says...it's treated in the English style with what's called 'treacle' over there. It's a flavoring that's molasses/raisin/plum in character. When I say the English style I mean Gawith...either side of the family.

Whether it's FVF, Coniston Cut Plug, Stonehaven, Glengarry Flake...they're in the same family. Dark, sweet, medium, a bit resistant to a match...but just about the most rewarding smoking experience that can be had.

taharris":ys50ilst said:
Stonehaven sometimes tastes like bananas to me.  8) 

Todd
Watch where you dump the ash someone might step on it and slip and fall. :lol!: 

AJ

A fine, fine smoke. I agree it has less body than FVF and a burley undernote that almost tastes like steak to me sometimes. I have about 4oz left that I'm hoping to age, but I'm not sure I can keep out of it.