Finally, I have a job.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieveryuu

Reaction score
Feel like I have been absent from the board lately... Anyway, I have good news. As the thread title states: I finally have a job. After two interviews and reference checking I was hired as a secretary. Now, I am not one who is unable to call the job what it is. I am a secretary. Though I will also answer to "office administrator". The place I work for is a small synagogue that is making a lot of changes, trying to really take advantage of technology and to grow, generally, in vitality. They have a new rabbi, and now me. One of the reasons I was hired is for my graphic design skills. They really want to give a new and unified face to the world. It is an exciting job even if it is "below" my technical and professional level. You know what? I do not care. I have a job. It is a good job, doing what is important to keep a part of the larger community running. It will pay my rent, it will pay my bills, and I should even be able to buy food. Maybe even some tobacco. (Thankfully I have a pretty good stash of tobacco at the moment.)

It is a wonderful thing to finally have a regular job again. The last regular job I had was over three years ago. (I was laid off, bad economy, etc. you know the story.) So my great adventure east is going to be sustained for a while. I also hope to start teaching Japanese sword work as well. Yes. Seriously. I received my teaching certificate (unexpectedly) a few months ago.

Anyway. There you go. My masters program is trying to drown me in reading and my roommate has had more girls over in eight weeks than I have had in eight years. Have enjoyed a pipe or two by the water and am still hoping to make it to the local pipe club one of these months. It has not been easy at all, but it is starting to feel less like a mistake and more like the start of the next part of my life. Miss my friends back home. Am glad to have friends here. Typing like this, knowing that those of you who read what I have written will at least give it a nod if not a comment. I appreciate it. Thank you.

Congratulations! :cheers: :cheers:

I'm happy for your success brother - it's fantastic to read a bit of good news.

Best wishes in the new job!

Jers

I hope the new job works out, and hopefully leads you where you want to go!

Getting a job will add some routine, that will help alot. Now you will get to meet some people and it will get easier.

Congrats and good luck.

Congrats on the new job. All the success in the world to you!

Congrats, Brother! :cheers:

You supported me in the past and it actually worked out for the better. What I took was a 'step down' as well, but honestly I couldn't be happier and, like you, I don't care either. Being happy with your job means much more than titles and BS.

Glad it worked out for you, and from the way you're talking already this might be a blessing in disguise.

Onward and Upward!

Happy for you, Bro.

Never make excuses for any kind of honest work and treat every job as if the fate of the world hangs in the quality of the work.

I spent the last 20 years working in factories and always started at the bottom but worked my way up.

Congratulations on your new direction, I'm sure you'll succeed and enjoy your new position. :D

Is there a nice bench outside the Synagogue where you can park it, eat lunch, and have a pipe? :cheers:

I think being a "secretary" for a smaller institution like that will be much different than if you were working for a lending firm, or other kind of corporation...you'll probably fall into the "respected do-anything guy" realm sooner rather than later.

Nice score, Kiev. 8)

When did secretary become politically incorrect ? I work at a call center and they don't have secretaries at NASA only "office admins". Congratz on the job, I pretty much do the same thing. They call it an IT help desk but we have 10 minutes to take and finish the call, for the most part I just jot down the info and send it out for a tech to come out to the computer. My title is IT administrator assistant. Hope the job is great and it will be something you love.

Kyle, it has a been a little wet here of late, I hope to take a closer look and explore the place a little better this week. See if I cannot find a nice little spot to set with bite and a pipe.

i.keenum, you make a good point. I do not know. I think a large part of it is that some people just do not want to be seen as doing something they think is embarrassing. Honest work should never be embarrassing.

Like Kyle is suggesting, I should soon enough be the "do anything" guy, which is a position I like to be in. Being able to do whatever is needed and doing what I can to help out, so long as others do not abuse the situation by using you, it is a good feeling.

Congratulations Kiev! There is something very satisfying about packing up, moving far away, and ultimately making it all come together. I hope you enjoy your job, and that it becomes a great stepping stone for you! :cheers:

Congrats on the employment !!!!!!!!
A nice ndays work makes a man feel good... I need to remind my boss of the "Nice" part