Finally trying non-aromatics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah

Reaction score
I've been smoking a pipe for about half a year now. I've only smoked three types of tobacco: Captain Black White, and two other blends from a tobacco store that were basically the same thing. So, I have only smoked aromatics.

I am finally wanting to try non-aromatic pipe tobacco. I have read that Latakia is harsh to someone used to aromatics. Are Virginias the same way? Also, are English tobaccos and Latakia the same thing?

What are some good introductory blends that will ease me into non-aromatics? I have read that Frog Morton On the Town is a good introduction to non-aromatics. Is this true?

Can you guys give me a few blends that will ease me into non-aromatics, and then a few blends that are good once I am ready to go to the next level?

Thanks! :D

Also, if I buy tinned tobacco, how long will it last without opening it, and how long will it last after it has been opened after buying?

I was given some good advice over in this thread https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12616-moving-away-from-aromatics

I would suggest trying some Esoterica Tilbury, I think it has a great flavor and strength without the typical latakia or perique harshness.

In addition, look for some traditional VA or VA perique (VaPer) mixtures. They tend to be less harsh than the English mixtures, and add a nice natural sweetness. I have tried a few of the McClellands, and enjoy their 5100, blackwoods flake, and 2015 mixtures. I am sure there are tons more out there, but I myself am new.

Sterling Tobacco offers some excellent English/Aro crossover blends; My Buddy and Clubhouse blends are both excellent introductions to (wonderful) stinky leaf. He'll also hook you up with a sample if you contact him...and, if you discover that you enjoy the peaty rich lat smoke, his medium and heavy English blends are damn tasty too!

OK - totally ignore all those other suggestions. I'll give you the real insider method of finding the 'right' tobacco to break out of aromatics (and into the high roller world of snooty pipe smoking). lol

What I would do is to define from 3 - 5 'types' of blends and try two or so from each catagory...and see which direction your druthers take you. I'd suggest the following catagories:

And remember to smoke these. . . S - L - O - W - L - Y ! ! ! They wil have little cavendish in them and SOME of them with torch your tongue if not taken slowly. It's maybe both the heat from the fire and the chemical burn from the alkaliai that some blends produce during combustion.

1) Light English blend...just to get your foot in the Latakia door. For the neophyte, a little latakia goes a long way. I'd pick GLP's "Samarra". If you like it...go further (this pertains to all the below as well).
2) Virginia blend...all kinds of VA's out there...Red, Yellow, etc. I'd go with...Briar Fox (Cornell & Diehl) or John Patton's "Quadruple Virginia"...taking into account that there is no ideal "Virginia" out there as there are so many different spins with it. It goes all over. Bur ya gotta start somewhere.
3) Virginia/Perique blend...totally different that the straight VA thng.
4) Burley blend...sweet and nutty...high smoke levels...I'd suggest John Patton's "Stormfront" at 4-Noggins...or "Nut Brown Burley" from Pipeworks and Wilke.
5) At least one flake...you NEED to get into these as they are the heart of your future attention as a pipe smokere.! I'd suggest Escudo...easy to deal with, universally popular...or Bull's Eye Flake.

Keep in mind that you could easily do a flake for each of the catagories above...and that may be your next step. And...these are just MY suggestions. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate you breaking it down into types; I can't tell you how helpful that is!

I am definitely going to try those tobaccos.

Thanks! :D