Finding HH Vintage Syrian quite flat - just me?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfpc

Reaction score
Picked up a tin of HH Vintage Syrian a while back, just cracked it - really unimpressed, not just with the syrian which is barely there, but the virginias also lack any character. One might say it's a pleasantly mild smoke, if one were looking for a smoke so mild that it barely existed - a taste as thin as paper.

Just me? Bad Tin?

Me too.

But I have experienced this before with several blends. Jar it and wait. It may improve. I have had that happen.

It doesn't pack a whallop of flavor, it's a subdued blend. Quiet, indoor, reflective slow smoking will let the blend shine. You try to puff up a boat load of flavor you'll be disappointed.

HH VS is not the "Lat-Bomb" it's description would lead one to believe. The sweetness of the Va's so smooth out the lat-weed and whatever Orientals are in the blend that it comes across as a "mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper." I enjoy the blend, especially in the evening. My better half really enjoys the aroma....can't beat that!! FTRPLT

puros_bran":crkmm4rg said:
IMO Syrain isn't a Lat Bomb varient anyway.
I don’t think it was intended to be marketed that way either, I found, much like Star of the East, sometimes the various components burn just right in the bowl and actually cancel each other out a little. I think a blend can actually be too balanced. Also, I dedicated a Radice G billiard to this subgenus because the slightly wider, and very deep bowl gives the blend room to work.

I’d suggest a different pipe, let it dry out a little, and at least partially rub it out before you shelve it or trade it away.

Thanks for all the input. Going to smoke through a few dozen bowls, and give it a chance in a few pipes. I have a nice wide pot that might do the trick...

I also cracked a tin of McClelland Syrian Full Balkan with five years on it to satisfy my needs for a stronger blend. Quite good but will have to smoke throgh the tin to see if it earns a place in the cellar.

Perhaps I have become spoiled by McConnels Syrian - all the other Syrian blends I have tried have lacked the qualities I have come to associate with the leaf.

---

Most of the way through a bowl of HH in the pot - doing a much better job of it...

A bit early in the week but I think a pound or so of each of these blends may find a corner of the cellar shelf... They may not scream Syrian Latakia to me, but they are nice easy smoking blends of gentle character...

Smoking these two blends exclusively this week - and must say that I am liking these two more and more.

They are both quite gentle, but in the right bowl with the right approach they are both quite good and worth having a pound or two of. Doesn't hurt that the HH sells at bargain prices and comes in ceramic for an extra buck...

The HH VS is my favourite English that I can readily get. It smokes well for me.
I take a very mellow approach to it though. In a way, I allow the tobacco to smoke itself.
Does that make sense? It's similar to the sipping technique.
I yield the best results that way. I have two tins of it from its original production date of October 2006 that are going to be great when they are 10 and 15 years old!

Good luck and Happy Puffing!

I agree with the negative sentiment. I have a difficult time getting behind this one. I just find it flat boring. I might not be the best reviewer though. I am still relatively new to pipes/tobaccos and I am still getting my legs wet and have only tried a handful of English. So, I may be unfairly comparing all English blends to my two favorite, Penzance and Maltese Falcon.

Cheers
Joshua

I too was heavy into the strong English varieties, as well as Virginias and the gamut

This one through my first attempts at enjoyment - comments above having helped greatly

A half dozen bowls under my belt and I can say it's flavor almost refuses to present in some bowls - but in the right bowl long slow sips and a bit of breath smoking really pay off