Finish advice for Savinelli 320 KS

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. François

Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm about to order a Savinelli 320 KS (Author), but I'm dumbfounded about what finish to get. I can go with the Trevi in smooth or black rusticated, the "Spring," or most other finishes the 320 is offered in. I don't care for the Trevere, as I'm not much of a "gold" person.

If you were buying the 320 Author, what finish would YOU get and why?

Dr. François":q6u4mp3q said:
Greetings!

I'm about to order a Savinelli 320 KS (Author), but I'm dumbfounded about what finish to get. I can go with the Trevi in smooth or black rusticated, the "Spring," or most other finishes the 320 is offered in. I don't care for the Trevere, as I'm not much of a "gold" person.

If you were buying the 320 Author, what finish would YOU get and why?
No doubt in my mind, what so ever!

This pipe MUST be black and rusticated.

Any reason in particular? I do admire the Trevi Rusticated Finish quite a bit, but any special reason for rusticated over a dark, smooth stain?

I have a trevi 606 ks and love the black rusticated
finish as it beautifully sets off the silver ring.

Dr. François":fo69ipxo said:
Any reason in particular? I do admire the Trevi Rusticated Finish quite a bit, but any special reason for rusticated over a dark, smooth stain?
Well, in black this pipe, being so big, looks masculine and the particular shape just shows off so much nicer in the dark colour. Check out all the different colours/shades and you will see what I mean. The black pipe just JUMPS at me when I open the link to it!!!

I've been eyeing the pipe for a long time and looked at all the colour shades. I've finally made up my mind about the black one and will order one for my birthday which is on the 25th of July.

The 620 pipe has gotten quite a lot of notice recently. I like mine because it has a big chamber on a relatively compact pipe; there are times when I want a lot of smoke but don't have the time to smoke a larger pipe, so this fits the bill nicely. I've got the pipe in a rusticated dark stain (it could even be black). Since i tend to stick this pipe in a lot of coat pockets, I'd rather have a finish that can take some jostling without worry. But that's my 2 cents.

I had an rusticated Savinelli in my hand earlier this week and definitely see me getting a Trevi in that finish. They had it priced at $99 but it was about $60 at Pipes&Cigars.com. I've never smoked a Savinelli, but it sure felt like a nice price for that kind of money.

I've got a 320 KS Tevere, and I absolutely love it! I'm not a "gold" person either, but as soon as I saw this one, I knew I had to have it!

I have to admit, I have 3 complaints about it, one of which is my fault probably. One, the filter adapter doesn't exactly fit like I think it should. Two, there are some fills on the bottom that are VERY noticable. Not big, but the color is way off. And three, which is my fault because I left it in my car too long, the gloss/polish/whatever is already coming off, so its not as pretty as it used to be. I gotta find out how to repolish it to make it look like new again.

I've ordered a Trevi Rusticated 320KS in black from Smoking Pipes. Should have it in time for my birthday :)

I've purchased two Savinelli's lately - a 616 and a 320. Both are smooth in the Tevere banded line. The filter adapter is loose in both which makes it difficult to run a pipe cleaner through. The 320 is not so bad since the airway is straight. The loose adapter made the 616 almost impossible to get a cleaner to the heel of the bowl. My solution was to glue the adapter in with an epoxy wood filler. Basically I mixed a small blob of filler and then shoved the adapter in. When it was dry I reamed the airway with an appropriately sized drill bit.

These are ~$60 pipes so I'm not too concerned and even expected fills in the wood. Both smoke well (after mods) and that's what concerns me lately. If they were more expensive I would have returned the pipes.

I agree with SpeedyPete - the black rusticated finish with the gold band would be striking.

Doug

SouthernPiper":em68lvpm said:
I have to admit, I have 3 complaints about it, one of which is my fault probably. One, the filter adapter doesn't exactly fit like I think it should. Two, there are some fills on the bottom that are VERY noticable. Not big, but the color is way off. And three, which is my fault because I left it in my car too long, the gloss/polish/whatever is already coming off, so its not as pretty as it used to be. I gotta find out how to repolish it to make it look like new again.

I have a 320 Hercules in the rusticated finish. I wanted the Hercules to avoid the filter insert, and the rusticated finish to avoid fills. It is a fine smoker, and it has a tapered, conical interior bowl configuration.

I received my Savinelli 320KS black rusticated from Smoking Pipes yesterday and I'm a happy man. Not only is this a beautiful pipe but breaking it in is a joy. After only 4 bowls it's already behaving like a grown up and I'm pretty sure by bowl #10, it will smoke like a veteran.