Finish and stain inside the bowl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud31

Reaction score
I eBayed an unsmoked vintage 60's Medico Crest Gothic (briar, not brylon) The inside of the bowl appears stained and finished.

I've never seen that before: the couple of pipes that I've bought new were either unfinished wood or charred inside the bowl.

I'm wondering how to break it in, if I should ream it to scrape off the finish?

Anyone encounter this?

JMHO...I would get myself some high grit/very fine sandpaper & very carefully sand that stuff out of the bowl. FWIW :cheers: FTRPLT

Yes, as per the chaps' comments above. But then you need to incinerate it a bit, if you know what I mean... ;)

There are actually quite a few dip stained pipes on the market.  Many don't realize it due to bowl carbon.   Peterson is probably the most well known offender.  And it is an offense.

Sand it a bit, or smoke it out, that's really your only two options.  
I've done it both ways. Sanding it yields much faster results.

puros_bran":ldlmcklf said:
There are actually quite a few dip stained pipes on the market.  Many don't realize it due to bowl carbon.   Peterson is probably the most week known offender.  And it is an offense.

Sand it a bit, or smoke it out, that's really your only two options.  
I've done it both ways. Sanding it yields much faster results.
I once got in a Pete I was excited about owning back when I was just getting back into the pipe. Hard to remember the model but it had been dip stained. Smoked awful. Didn't know any better so got rid of it.

Since then I've removed (or had removed) the inner stain. Along with their bowl coating which is equally as offensive to me.

:cat:

Cheers,

RR

Thank you all for your advice!

I started out by swabbing the inside of the bowl with a pipe cleaner dipped in Everclear, allowed it to sit overnight to completely dry and then wrapped some fine grit sandpaper around my reamer and carefully worked it.  First smoke was with some Half & Half: I like keep the tobacco blend 'neutral' when breaking in a new pipe, then later I can decide if I want to dedicate it to a particular type of blend. Smoked it very slow & steady (I don't do the "half-bowl" break-in-thing, just fill and smoke it to the bottom of the bowl) It had a slightly weird taste to it in addition to the normal 'woody' taste of a new briar, but I'm sure it'll pass after a couple of smokes. It now has a nice char on the bowl interior onto which I can start building up some cake.