Finished a couple of knives.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawker

Reaction score
I just finished a couple of three finger drop point knives that are small enough to carry everyday.
They are made from 1 1/2 " X 1/8" ATS-34 Bar Stock. Heat trated to Rockwell hardness of 60.
Overall length is 6" with a 2 5/8" blade.

Once I've ground the blades I hand sand them with 150 grit to 2000 grit wet/dry automotive sand paper folded over a kitchen butter knife to a mirror finish which takes about  4 hrs per side.
When I got the blades back from being cryogenically heat treated in Paul Bos's facility in Idaho they were fitted with dovetail bolsters I made from 1 1/2" X 1/4" brass bar stock that lock the front of the handle material in place when ground to the same angle.

Wenge wood and moose front leg bone was the handle material choosen for these two. This was my first attempt using bone for the handle material and much prefer to work with wood. Especially when fitting the dovetails it's alot easier with squared up material rather than working with curved and rounded edges.

They are stunning Kev', look like they'd make superb Plug knives, I especially like the Moose Bone handle, absolutely gorgeous Buddy.... BRAVO.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Well done, Hawker. I like the dovetailing. Do you make the sheaths, too?

Real Nice Look'en knives ya got there sir!  ;) 

Great looking knives, and I am a huge fan of ATS-34 for blade stock.

Wet Dottle said:
Well done, Hawker. I like the dovetailing. Do you make the sheaths, too?[/
quote] I make the sheaths as well. It's kind of what got me started making knives in the first place as for years I used to make sheaths for some of the other local knife makers in the area. One who still does the heat treating of my damascus blades in trade for leatherwork.

Thanks for all the comments Brothers, appreciate it.

WOW!!!! Love the bone handled one! Can't wait to see more of your work!

Jim

Nicely done Hawker! I've recently started pursuing knife making myself. I have a lot left to get figured out in my process, but I'm getting there. When I have some made I'll be posting pictures of them.