Finished another reject

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelot55

Reaction score
I'll smoke this one around the shop. Had a pretty big pit in the bowl. I put a pre-carb in it. We'll see how long it lasts. Let me know what you guys think.

102_0574_zpsd13ce5dc.jpg

102_0573_zpsde563798.jpg

102_0572_zps66065def.jpg

102_0571_zps1fc61120.jpg

monbla256":ic9uz112 said:
Looks nice. What's a "pre-carb"?
You know, that disgusting stuff that Peterson puts in their bowls to make them black. :lol:

Just a thin layer of carbon to facilitate cake building. I'm perfecting a flavour neutral recipe. Some folks prefer a pre carbonated bowl so I figured that if I plan on going any bigger with this pipe making thing I'd better have the option.

Looks amazing, I love the squared shank and stem, looks the business, a good old dose of that pipe-mud should remedy the pit inside the bow. ;)

That is sharp! I love a square shank bent billiard, nicely done.

I think that's the nicest pipe you've shown so far!
I don't know that Dunhill or Ashton could do any better.
Very cool.

great reject. i think the natural flaws in a reject gives a lot of character. the squared shape gives a really great touch.

Nice one. Panel pipe with a square shank? :cheers: I dig it.

Meh, it may last for a long time. If the flaw starts to burn in a bit, pipe mud does work wonders. One of my mortas had a soft spot that I shored up with some mud, and the tobacco chamber walls are parallel and functional as they should be. No worries. :D

8)

pits... crevaces... ignore them.. great shop pipe... seems i made one today also.. all was going well until i ran into a pit that went and went and went.. then another showed up... so it's sitting on my bandsaw right now (my pipe holder place for pieces I'm working)

you did a really awesome job on the shape of this one.. you should definately do it again on another piece of brair.. the mouthpiece could be somewhat thinner from the bit back, but I like it

james

If you put that in the photo gallery and didn't say who made it I'd have guessed ashton. Very Classical and just all around beautiful. Your making them like an old pro Ocelot. :D Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I did enjoy carving this shape quite a bit. I anticipate myself revisiting this shape in the future. Hopefully the next time it won't be a reject and I can offer to sell it to one of my Brothers.

In other news, I'm working on a website. Expect to see something up and running in the next few months.

I keep coming back to this topic. Is that a sandblast or a rustication? I presume a rustication and am curious how you did it. Unless you don't want to spill one of your secrets though (g)..

bosun1":k7dui95s said:
I keep coming back to this topic. Is that a sandblast or a rustication? I presume a rustication and am curious how you did it. Unless you don't want to spill one of your secrets though (g)..
That's a blasted finish. You can see the grain as that's what a sandblasted finish does, it exposes the grain pattern in 3-d so to speak. Rustication is a CARVED finish which is done by a drill, bur or knife and does not usually relate to the grain pattern of the briar. I'll pick a blasted pipe over a rusticated pipe if given the choice as I think they look SO MUCH BETTER :p

I've seen some pretty awful rustication, and there's a few rustication techniques that I like a lot, but a blast is always nice, even when it isn't the best. :D This one is choice.

Can't wait to see the website, O.