finished this one this morning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smg913

Reaction score

I am really not feeling the overall finish of the pipe but I like how the stem came out.

thanks!!!!! I am trying not to smoke the pipes I make. I am actually trying to sell them but man it is hard to not smoke them  :D 

Some excellent work put into this one Buddy, love the overall design and the stem is fantastic, I wonder if this might look a little more gorgeous with a nice rich brown stain, not dark brown as the grain is lovely but a nice rich brown just might give you cause to love her a little more. Personally I feel this pipe is absolutely fantastic, BRAVO.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

thanks guys!!

a nice rich brown color definitely would have been better. especially given it a nice contrast with the black stem.

Killer stem work indeed!
The pipe is also very nice.
I'd probably done a very light natural stain and just enough contrast to make the birdseye "Pop" under the light staining.

alandadp":48a1xpc0 said:
Where  Question

there is a store where I live in south jersey that wants to sell them. I have a custom stamp coming so I can mark them with my name. i have thought about putting them online also.

i am having a hard time pricing the pipes i make though. i see the pipes that kirk, Jessie and Dave (and a lot of others who make great pipes on here too) post and i think that my pipes couldn't hold a candle to there's.

smg913":i39nm9g9 said:
alandadp":i39nm9g9 said:
Where  Question

there is a store where I live in south jersey that wants to sell them. I have a custom stamp coming so I can mark them with my name. i have thought about putting them online also.

i am having a hard time pricing the pipes i make though. i see the pipes that kirk, Jessie and Dave  (and a lot of others who make great pipes on here too) post and i think that my pipes couldn't hold a candle to there's.  

Everyone is their own worst critic. Based on what I've seen from you so far it looks like you're well on your way.

Don't under rate yourself.

Cheers,

RR

smg913":h7puangf said:
i am having a hard time pricing the pipes i make though. i see the pipes that kirk, Jessie and Dave  (and a lot of others who make great pipes on here too) post and i think that my pipes couldn't hold a candle to there's.

Fine sand the stummel to remove the wax, re-stain it with a nice rich brown, clean up the stem before taking better pictures and slap a tag of $150 on it mate.

I know it isn't a lot of money considering the time you spent carving it but in time you will be able to charge higher prices once your pipes are in demand, for now you need to keep prices low so folk wont mind risking a purchase.

Once word gets around about the quality of your work you'll feel better about what you're doing, hell if I had the cash spare I'd buy this pipe off you in a heartbeat mate, you're doing amazingly well my friend, keep the faith Brother.  :heart: :sunny: 

Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words it means a lot. I will definitely take your advice kirk and sand it and re stain it.

Is it just me but nearly all my pipes are a shade of brown and I thought it was refreshing to see one that wasn't.

Killer pipe brother looks great, I know what brewdude means about being your own worst critic. I'll end up making little change after little change, tinkering and tinkering till I'll break it if I don't get it out of the door after a little while. Got to get it to a good stopping point and stop thinking bout it as hard as it can be.

alandadp":2a8w1htr said:
Is it just me but nearly all my pipes are a shade of brown and I thought it was refreshing to see one that wasn't.
Agreed. And I think the stain here is really great. My collection is mostly traditionally stained or close for the most part though. Of my unusually stained pipes, more than half are inexpensive estates I sanded down and stained myself for fun. So it probably is a niche market in retail.

Thanks guys I chose to leave it the way it is and put it in the store now I will have to wait to see if it sells