First attempts at hand made pipes.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That chubby at the top is my favorite. They've all got a rustic charm to them that I like. Nice job!

Nice job! I like the little chubby at top the most as well and the choice of materials is interesting. What's it like to work with mahogany or beech? I've never owned a pipe made of either, but did have a friend drop off a piece of cherry wood the other day. He told me I should make a pipe out of it. Hmmm? Maybe it's time to start whittling away at that thing?
Cheers,
Milan

I agree about the chubby beech pipe, looks pretty cool. I would smoke it and be happy

Thanks for the comments gents.
I agreee with you choices, the stubby one is my favourite too.
I will continue to use beech for a while, as it is the easiest to get hold of here in Britain.
I have to send abroad to get briar.
I find that both are quite easy to work with, but beech is my favourite to work.
Both smoke filne.

Thanks for the encouragement Todd. Been ill with a virus, so haven't done any work on pipes lately. But will try again when I feel better.
Alan.

a

Very nice work! I've been making my own pipes for a few years now and it's very satisfying to have a great smoke from something you've created. Keep it up!

These look great! What tools did you use to make these? I love woodworking and since I have taken up pipe smoking, I have already wanted to try my hand at making my own pipe. I love the personal touch you can add to your own creations and are the ultimate expression of personality. I would love to know what steps you took to make these beauties.

Thanks, Frogjump, I have been woodturning etc for a number of years and like knocking up thing with wood, scrollwork etc, and as you say, you do get a great feeling of satisfaction when it goes well. I'll keep trying to improve on the pipes too.
Alan.

koogs":agl9lyfm said:
These look great! What tools did you use to make these? I love woodworking and since I have taken up pipe smoking, I have already wanted to try my hand at making my own pipe. I love the personal touch you can add to your own creations and are the ultimate expression of personality. I would love to know what steps you took to make these beauties.
Here's a tutorial that I put together on how to make a pipe: http://www.woodturnersresource.com/extras/projects/pages/smoking_pipe.html

Todd

taharris":6gx0c5q9 said:
koogs":6gx0c5q9 said:
Here's a tutorial that I put together on how to make a pipe: could not re-post the url yet. Seven days.

Todd
That's a really nice tutorial, Todd. I bookmarked it for later. Maybe next spring/summer I'll give it a go and see what I can do. Now I need a lathe!