First Cornell and Diehl order just arrived!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tleek

Reaction score
I placed an order with cornell and diehl on monday and it just came. It was a five blend sampler pack including Mountain Campy, Billy Budd, Pirate Kake, Epiphany, and Engine 99.

I am looking for an all day smoke i can buy a poubd at a time rather than buying a bunch of tins all the time in hopes of saving some money.

Smoking Mountain camp right now and its is actually tasting pretty great. Strange mouthfeel in the beginning of the bowl, but now about halfway through it, strange feeling is gone and its gaining some complexity.

Do any of you guys have a Cornell and Diehl all day smoke?

tleek":6rc46vi2 said:
I placed an order with cornell and diehl on monday and it just came. It was a five blend sampler pack including Mountain Campy, Billy Budd, Pirate Kake, Epiphany, and Engine 99.

I am looking for an all day smoke i can buy a poubd at a time rather than buying a bunch of tins all the time in hopes of saving some money.

Smoking Mountain camp right now and its is actually tasting pretty great. Strange mouthfeel in the beginning of the bowl, but now about halfway through it, strange feeling is gone and its gaining some complexity.

Not necessarily an all day smoke, but Exhausted Rooster might be pretty close for me. At least I was smoking it once/day for a while there until I blew through a tin.

That Billy Budd and Pirate Kake will grow hair on your body parts that don't have any, so can't imaging them being an all-day smoke for anyone!

eek7.gif

Cheers,

RR

Not so much an all day smoke, but I really like their Blockade Runner (A gift from mgtarheel), which happens to be a fantastic navy cavendish.

Man, if ya can't find an all day out of C&D there's gotta be something wrong.

So to me "All Day" = medium Vit. N to prevent unwanted cost of ambulance...good flavor but not overpowering...suitable for morning, noon and evening smoking (but not necessarily an after dinner thing)...easy to prep, easy to manage in the bowl, smokes cool...

I'll list a few that would fall into this catagory for me...take into account that I don't do Latakia any longer...

For my tastes I'd got with:

Oriental Silk (current heart throb)
Briar Fox (classic)
Virginia Gentleman (not a current favorite, but it's very good and qualifies)
Guilford Courthouse (I've never tried this one, but given others' experiences, it should be a winner)
Orion's Arrow (another one that I haven't tried, but should)

Upping things a notch with the Vit. N, there's:

Sha'are Orah 'Gates of Light' (full of flavor and also 'N')
Riverboat Gambler (it's SO good...)

If I had to pick two, one mild to medium and the other medium to strong...I'd go for the ones that I bolded. But then as I said, no Latakia for me...I tend not to smoke Aromatics and I'm really into VA/Per/Turkish blends right now...good Summer blends!

ya lately whatever i smoke has to have some latakiain it. I chose mostly some strong blends because thats what i tend to favor, but also got epiphany because i do like a few light englishes.

Im trying epiphany out right now and im pretty dissapointed with it.
Mountain Camp was great, but this taste pretty much like burly. I really like burly in english blends, but not as the main component

Im also getting the same sort of mouth feel with this bowl, wonder if it is just because these blends re a little more moist tha the cornell and diehl blends i have had before.

Every time I smoke Pirate Kake, the local volunteer Fire Dept. rushes around the neighborhood looking for a coal mine on fire someplace. Then they figure out it's me and my pipe, and threaten to run me out of town. I even tried hiding the fact I was smoking it while burning 4ft tall piles of leaves in the fall. A whole blocks worth. They ignored the burning leaves as not worth the time and admonished me for smoking Pirate Kake and calling them away from "Dancing with the stars".

Never, ever, ever smoke Pirate Kake in the basement. Or the ghost of Edward Teach will visit you! :shock: Well, there will definitely be a ghost around for a few days, even if it's not old Blackbeard.

I once upon a time acquired a pound of 10 year old Pirate Kake. It was surely cursed. Cursed, I tell you! When the Postal lady handed the package to me, she held it as far away from herself as she could. Odd that. :scratch: As I was driving home I suddenly smelled this musty, dank scent. A cold, damp, charcoal grill. (That's how you know that Ol' Edward is near.) This was a Priority Mail box with all the seams taped. Inside was a metal tin inside of a plastic bag, also sealed. :suspect: Inside the tin was another plastic bag, with the most amazing tobacco. It stank! A good stank to be sure.

Well, a good stank if you are a pipe smoker. Firemen don't care much for it though. Neither does anyone else. I will have to commission a study. :sunny:

tleek":cacljvjd said:

Engine 99 - never fails me.

But I do smoke maybe another dozen of their blends with at least six or so on hand at all times.

i have some tuggle hall too, not really a huge fan, the taste is alright to me, but it smells horrible to me.

I tried out the rest of the blends. Pirate cake is awesome, extremely smooth tasting, and more complex than i expected. Billy budd was good, but a little harsh, and i actually tasted cigar more than anything.

Engine 99 was also great.

Burley Flake #2 or #3, #808 Burley Straight, OJK, Opening Night, and many others.

kieveryuu":alulatb0 said:
Not so much an all day smoke, but I really like their Blockade Runner (A gift from mgtarheel), which happens to be a fantastic navy cavendish.
I heartily second this. Its close cousin, Black Frigate, is basically the same thing with latakia. Also: not an all day smoke, unless you like a rum-soaked fist punching you in the face all day. (Some do; I'm not judging. :p )
I'm not sure I have an all day C&D. Exhausted Rooster has come close in the past. I'm currently enjoying a tin of Raja's Court. It could be a contender.

Waaaas up brother? Engine 99 was only OK? It's my one and only C&D favorite! It's the locomotive that pulls my train "On Peak" daily.

tleek":u0yc5oah said:
I smoke too much variety to have an all day smoke, but out of your lineup, I would say Epiphany would be a great candidate. It's a delicious English blend with plenty of character but not strong or peculiar in any way. Keep us informed of your results!

ok i got to smoke at least three or four bowls of each and engine 99 is now really talking to me. I love it.
even though i havnt smoked too much of it, i could tell its going to be one of my favorite blends.

It actually may be my all day smoke pretty soon

Billy Budd also grew on me. I dont know what was up with that first bowl, it must have not been mixed up or something because the cigar leaf has been in the background for the other 5 bowls or so.
I dont think it is as strong as i thought it was going to be, but it is definitely a full flavored blend.

Pirate kake is incredibly smooth to me. Obviously heavy on the Latakia, but not a real in your face tobacco in my opinion. Lots of flavor, and actually pretty complex.

Mountain camp is good too and i havnt got that weird mouthfeel again, sort of reminds me of a mix between frog morton and northwoods for some reason. I really like it.

Epiphany has seen the least amount of smoking, it is good, but tastes mostly like burly and i like my englishes a little more towards the latakia side,

Anyway, im really liking these blends. I dont know why but i have always loved cornell and diehl since my first taste of Purple Cow. Good high quality tobacco, great blends, cool names; just darn good baccy.

Good report! Engine 99 is a favorite of mine also. I just received a pound of the Engine today from Rich Gottlieb at 4 Noggins.

LIPIPE":fudrlrfz said:
Good report! Engine 99 is a favorite of mine also. I just received a pound of the Engine today from Rich Gottlieb at 4 Noggins.
Marty,

Not to hijack a C&D thread, but I wanted to say "thanks" for your recommendation of Beck's Ol' Limey a while back. Wonderful smoke!