First cuts on a few new blocks.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.keenum

Reaction score
Figured I'd share with my brothers, thinking if doing a matching knife pipe set with the cut off.

10380743_692200144185257_1063881505090502283_n.jpg

10527469_692200310851907_7895469413046756036_n.jpg

10301364_692200204185251_2952852629706524860_n.jpg

10547618_692200257518579_6294882323589184771_n.jpg

Is that a pencil shanked chimney next to the bottom one  :lol!: 

Looking good Buddy, very much looking forward to seeing how you progress with these two.  :cheers: :sunny: 

Looking good so far .....

keep them coming, its always so interesting to see the pipes develop

Alandadp :p ya but the draw is way too tight. Don't know how wide I can open the air way up. Kidding, I think I may try to make a matching pipe stand out of it though.

Thanks for looking starting the rough file work today on the Dublin.

Got rough cut with files done and did 100 grit sand yesterday. This is it after the rough file cuts, will gets some more pictures of the sanded version.

Ian,

That is looking good. I am a big fan of plateaux tops. What are the dimensions on the tobacco chamber? That looks like a nice big one. Im sure this will look good when it is done. Are you going to leave it smooth or rusticate it?

It's 3/4 wide have to check the depth when I get home, If i had to guess around 1 3/4 deep.

i.keenum":bmfvpykw said:
Got rough cut with files done and did 100 grit sand yesterday. This is it after the rough file cuts, will gets some more pictures of the sanded version.

pipe810.jpg
Better and better all the time Buddy, this looks to be a grand pipe indeed, very well done.  :cheers: :sunny: 

Thanks brothers, she is looking very good so far, grain is pretty good flame grain 360 and no flaws yet. Fingers crossed. :pirat: 

Sorry for the crappy photo, here it is at 220 grit and a slight bend in the stem.

That's gonna be a nice one when your done. The slight bend to the stem really adds to the whole thing and makes it work !! Small touches like that many times can "make" a design!!  :twisted:

Decided to try and stain and it didn't take like I wanted, so now I'm about half way through sanding it off and trying maybe just a wax finish.

But this is the final shape and you can get a pretty good idea of the grain. :D

Shape looks REAL good sir and as far as the contrast stain, stain it again and then do a light sanding or use steel wool. I think it'll look great with a contrast stain.

If you fine sand it long enough Buddy you'll see that is 'hair grain', looks real nice if you apply a dark stain then fine sand almost all of the stain off so you can see the fine grain then apply a Tan stain, it'll look gorgeous my friend.  :sunny: 

Fantastic job Ian! I too like the plateau and the curved stem. That is a pipe anyone would be proud to have in their rack. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

You know how some times on a smooth pipe you can see the ring grain? It had some of that going on where the color of the grain fluctuated between the ring grain. Figured black would hide it but it accentuated it. So going to try brown stain or just accept it.