First day of pipe smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fofeba

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been smoking cigars now for the past fifteen years and thought I would give pipe smoking a go. I have been contemplating it for a while now and finally bought myself a "pipe starter kit"

I was incredibly impressed and thoroughly enjoyed my first experience....although waiting 24 hours before I can go again is a bit of an embuggerance.....do I really need to wait 24 hours before using my pipe again?

I have done some basic research into types of tobacco ad realise the blend I bought is not very good according to 99% of the internet....I didn't mind it but have nothing to compare it to.

Anyway, I am living in Andorra and thoroughly enjoying the mountain lifestyle and looking forward to my next smoke.

Cheers

Steve

Welcome to BoB!

I don't wait 24 hours, but I have more than one pipe, haha..

Sometimes I smoke the same pipe back to back a couple times. No worries, they're pretty hearty. I wouldn't smoke 1 pipe multiple times a day for days on end, but you'll be OK.

Easy solution is to buy a few more pipes and rotate through them. It might not be cheap, or feasible, but it is oh so easy to click "buy now" on a few sites. haha!

Or pick up a couple Missouri Meerschaum corncobs for $8 each and go to town.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Get a couple of cobs...you won't regret it.

Smoking a pipe with back to back bowls is okay sometimes. The devil of pipe smoking is the details though. Some blends are goopy and wet so smoking them twice quickly in the same pipe will gum everything up. And also some pipes just need more air time before they get foul.

So I'd experiment. Smoke your bowl. After it cools dump the ash and swab it out well with the pipe cleaner and try again. If the second bowl gets too hot too quickly or starts gurgling or can't smoke as far down and as clean as the first then the pipe/tobacco combination probably wants to "rest" a bit longer. In the end, the pipe will let you know though.

Personally, I smoke many of my pipes more than once in a 24 hour period.

Welcome to the brotherhood, Fofeba!

Wow, Andorra, eh?  What an amazing country!  :) 

Since you enjoy smoking your pipe, I agree with fellow posters here -- do some research on the internet, here at BoB and other pipe hobby sites and review sites such as http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/.  Experiment with various tobaccos.  If your choices are rather limited locally, you can order pipe tobacco blends (and pipes) from 4 Noggins (who has a sterling reputation for international shipping) and from SmokingPipes.com:

www.4noggins.com

www.smokingpipes.com

Missoui Meerschaum (corn cob pipes) provides an "instant rotation" of 10 "smokable seconds" pipes for $30 -- an easy way to  increase your pipe rotation without spending very much.  Not sure if they ship internationally, but if you're interested in this offer, it might be worth contacting them about it:

http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

BTW, all three of these vendors accept all major credit cards as well as PayPal and all three will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have through Email.

Enjoy your pipe smoking and our website -- and please let us know how you're doing  :)

Thanks for the warm welcome and the awesome advice.

Having my second smoke now.....really enjoyable.

I am smoking Borkum Riff.......recommended by my tobacconist at cigarshop......has a website by that name but I can't post it yet

He has quite a selection there and most are listed on this website.....please feel to recommend any for me. I prefer a milder tobacco I think.

I am going to get some Three Nuns......? Has some good reviews I think.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve!  :) 

Having an affinity for virginia blends, Mac Baren Three Nuns (a Virginia/Kentucky coin cut) sounds to be a fine choice.  Other favorites of the genre include Dunhill Flake, Solani Silver Flake 660, Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake and Gawith & Hoggarth Bright CR Flake & Brown Flake Unscented, to name a few.  The SG & G&H blends are also sold in bulk.

The Paul Olsen My Own Blend No. 111, sold in 100 gram cans, is also excellent, though now only sold in Europe.

Another fine bulk tobacco, also only available in Europe, is the Peter Stokkebye Irish Flake.

Steve, welcome to the BoB. Glad to have you on board.  :) 

AJ

Thanks.

Probably an unrealated question....but what do the bomb silhouettes mean?

Cheers

Welcome Steve.

I had to look up Andorra to see where it was and I'm usually pretty good with geography. Looks like a wonderful area of the world, high up in the Pyrenees.

The bombs represents something that some of the board members do. They get together each month and everyone sends a gift secretly to a member that is having a bad time or is deserving of a reward. They jokingly call the gifts "bombs". They try to scheduled the gifts to all arrive on roughly the same day. It's mostly a USA thing due to problems with customs, duties, etc when shipping between countries. You can read the threads relating to them under the community in action section.

Welcome again.

Shawn

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your intro to pipes

"T"

Welcome aboard sir! I too had to look to see exactly were you are.
On the border between Spain and France and quite a large population for such a small country it seems.
So just out of curiosity, which language is spoken there, Spanish or French?

Hey and Welcome!

How is it that you are in Andorra? Are you from there or working there or something else?

I've had a fascination with Andorra since I was a young lad because of a geography book I had that listed the 5 smallest countries in Europe. The others, at the time were: Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, San Marino and Monaco. Sorry, just a very specific memory.

Welcome to the BoB. Enjoy what you enjoy and don't worry about the reviews. I wasted alot of money buying tobacco's to try just on there reviews. Everyone's tastes are different and small quantity sample packs are the way to go if you can get them.

I'll second the MM corn cob recomendation. Great pipes for the money.

Hiya Steve, welcome to BoB.

Very pleased you are enjoying your foray into pipe smoking, might I suggest you try a different tobacco, the tobacco you have been recommended is not terribly good to be quite frank. If you can get hold of it in your area try a bit of something like Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture, once you get a taste for nicer tobacco and you get the hang of smoking a pipe you can progress onto trying out some Flake tobacco, I'd heartily recommend something like Full Virginia Flake at that point, gosh I envy you in some ways, you are embarking on a most wonderful journey, there are so very many delightful experiences awaiting you.

Enjoy the journey.  :cheers: :sunny: 

Welcome to BoB, Steve!
My advice to you is smoke what you like.  Be willing to try new tobaccos but you are ultimately the best judge of what you like.
The cob suggestion is a great, low-cost way to increase your pipe rotation.

Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great advice.

I will try and answer some of your questions.

Andorra's national language is Catalan although they also speak French and Spanish due to bordering these two countries. Literally takes less than one hour to drive from the French border to the Spanish border.

I have been living here for the past three years although have been visiting for skiing for many years before that.

I took the advice of many of you and went out and purchased some better tobacco and I am thankful for it. I also purchased a second pipe so I now have no issues with overuse....although I am only smoking once a day at this stage.

Thanks for all the links to the websites for advice and shopping. I will have to see what the shipping restrictions are like and if these companies will ship to Andorra.

Cheers

Steve

Fofeba":v4m85zwh said:
Hi All,

I have been smoking cigars now for the past fifteen years and thought I would give pipe smoking a go. I have been contemplating it for a while now and finally bought myself a "pipe starter kit"

I was incredibly impressed and thoroughly enjoyed my first experience....although waiting 24 hours before I can go again is a bit of an embuggerance.....do I really need to wait 24 hours before using my pipe again?

I have done some basic research into types of tobacco ad realise the blend I bought is not very good according to 99% of the internet....I didn't mind it but have nothing to compare it to.

Anyway, I am living in Andorra and thoroughly enjoying the mountain lifestyle and looking forward to my next smoke.

Cheers

Steve
A warm welcome to you!