first english blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragged claws

Reaction score
I smoked my first English blend last night. I had a bowl of Squadron Leader in my new Savinelli bent Dublin along with some single malt scotch. It was a very enjoyable smoke, but way different than anything I have smoked so far. Being a novice to pipe smoking, I don't have much experience with different tobaccos but I'm enjoying experimenting with the 5 or 6 I have on hand so far.

Kim

Nice! I'm a big english blend fan and there is wide variety just in that category. Recommend you smoke a tin at a time to experience the tobacco. Also, by doing a tin at a time you will find that many tins are too moist on first open but at some number of days later it is sublime.

Haven't had Squadron Leader in years. Guess I should added that to my large order today. Oh well, maybe next time.

Big fan of the Savinelli, great pipe and first pipe I owned with a balsa filter system which especially enjoy on newly open tins :)

Squadron Leader is in my pipe right now. When the weather started turning cool, Squadron Leader begged to be released from it's months-long slumber. I'm always happy with a bowl-full. It has a richness, satisfaction and comforting nature that I fell in love with from the first try. It does a good job being well-balanced...not weak nor too strong, not flavorless but not at all overpowering, and just the right amount of nicotine.

YMMV...just some SL love for the day.

8)

ragged claws":90z8fnrn said:
I smoked my first English blend last night. I had a bowl of Squadron Leader in my new Savinelli bent Dublin along with some single malt scotch. It was a very enjoyable smoke, but way different than anything I have smoked so far. Being a novice to pipe smoking, I don't have much experience with different tobaccos but I'm enjoying experimenting with the 5 or 6 I have on hand so far.

Kim
Squadron Leader is a great English blend. You may find it interesting to set a tin aside for 6 months as the flavour will change subtly over time. SL also goes well with Earl Grey tea :D

Squadron Leader is a great English blend to get started with. The Latakia isn't too overpowering, and the ribbon cut makes drying time shorter and lighting very easy.

Dutch":sjgnz87j said:
Squadron Leader is a great English blend to get started with. The Latakia isn't too overpowering, and the ribbon cut makes drying time shorter and lighting very easy.
I agree. SL is a very good place to start. Much better place IMHO than the overly sweetened Frog Morton flavors.

Original Frog Morton is still a winner for those that want to stick their toe in the water with Latakia, though.

If SL is still too strong for whatever reason, I'm usually suggesting Three Oaks. That usually lets a person know if that's the direction they want or not.

8)