First experience(s) with Cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Behike54

Reaction score
As some of you know, Simple Man sent me a MM "General" cob with a generous portion of "Storm Front" (Jack you are a generous BoB and John, you are a genius at blending; SF is a pleasure to smoke)

Anyhoo......do yourselves a favor, read John's Beginning Cob primer. It is a MUST reading for new cob smokers.

My first cob experience was astonishing. The draw and the smoking experience were great......UNTIL I made an error. John had REPEATEDLY mentioned DGT and taking your time. Well I am a pretty disciplined sipper and don't usually drag on it like a chocolate shake. I figure, hey, it's all good in the hood. WRONG. I totally forgot about cadence! The thing smoked so well and the blend was so good, I sipped until I was holding a molten hot cob! I was a little embarrassed.

Day 2, yesterday, I'LL GET YOU, YOU COB BASTARD! Ok, I am not Kyle, but you see where I am going here.

I purposely tried to smoke the nutbrown burley VERY slowly, trying to puff after a conscious rest period while channeling John's sage advice of "drawing on in just before it is about to go out," (i'm paraphrasing) and it was a wonderful experience smoking and a more intimate experience with the tobacco.

John, Jack, and Blackhorse....my burley experience is quite the adventure thanks to all of you!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed both the cob and Storm Front.

tiltjlp":lyvg9iwc said:
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed both the cob and Storm Front.
That would be an UNDERSTATEMENT! Both suprised me to the point of being tickled! :cheers:

I've found Storm Front to be a good smoke in whatever I smoked it in!

:cheers: We're proud of ya, Beehike. Don't worry about slippin' up a little, I think any single one of us has gotten a little carried away, smoked a little too hard, a little too long, warmed up our pipes and were just lost in the bliss of a good pipe/bacca combo. That cob is tougher than it looks!

The furthering of the Pay It Forward generosity is also humbling (even just to read...)... you know when you're hangin' 'round BoB when you've been "bombed" with some feller's generosity. 8)

As much as everyone has been talking about SF lately, I might have to break down and try some.

idbowman":zojmn12y said:
As much as everyone has been talking about SF lately, I might have to break down and try some.
How 'bout this: If you don't like it, hit me up, we can trade or I'll buy it from ya. T'won't go to waste 'round here. 8)

idbowman":38b2oglx said:
This is kind of what i was thinking too.

ejames":f7pjn86x said:
I've found Storm Front to be a good smoke in whatever I smoked it in!
This is very true.....but since I got my cobs I only smoke it in them. Something about cobs really brings out the nuances in this blend. I smoke more SF than any other tobacco. Its the perfect moisture for smoking right out of the bag and the cut makes it the most scoopable tobacco I have. No preparation, just dip your cob in the bag and scoop...a little pack and one more scoop to top it off and you're ready to smoke.

Its my go to tobacco #1 because it tastes great and #2 because its so damn easy. If I were gonna complain about anything I'd say I wish it had a little more nicotine, but I'm pickled in nic so you can't judge by me lol.

StormFront is one of the greatest blends out there (pure luck on JP's part...lol). There are a number of aspects that make it so...flavor, ease of use, availability...all important. But it kind of represents a class of blends that I call 'quick fire' blends. Even if you pack it firmly, which you shouldn't, it wants to take off and burn rapidly in the first half of the bowl. Tame this by prudent puffing AND by keeping a light tamp on it during this time. Halfway down it then settles in, and those initial sweet Burley flavors shift to deeper tones...the clouds part, beams of sunlight shine through, angels sing...you know the drill.

I didn't know you had been gifted with a tall cob. That specific pipe is a rite of passage item. Smoking those Burleys in that design will change your life. Men will fear you. Women will want you. But when you wake up, the cob will be there to console you.

Blackhorse brings up an all-important point: Storm Front is flexible and forgiving, without losing character or relying on cheap tricks to get by. Without song or hype, it really is that good. May this mix stay with us forever.

Gee, I have a cob full of it right now, watching (incidentally) a storm front move over the mountains. 8)

Now I'm curious about these "tall boy" cobs with Burley...

I've been guilty of mindlessly smoking myself into a molten cob. When that happens I just hold the cob by the base of the bowl which is always cool.

Storm_Crow":zhqk11m3 said:
I've been guilty of mindlessly smoking myself into a molten cob. When that happens I just hold the cob by the base of the bowl which is always cool.
...or the stem, as I sometimes hear the poor thing hissing at me getting rid of moisture and heat... :lol:

Recently burned out one of my cheaper cobs...now I need to get a couple of the better ones to replace it. I'm thinking a Country Gent and a Diplomat for starters..