first flight with Squadron Leader

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertschantz

Reaction score
As I'm just getting back to the pipe, I'm trying some things I meant to try last time around. So my most recent order included some SG Squadron Leader.

First, I'm going to have to dry this a lot more before trying the next bowl. Quite moist and I had trouble keeping it lit.

Second, this is a nice English blend. Not quite as strong as I generally prefer, but it was a nice smoke during the drive in.

Third, man I sure realized how much I missed Latakia! I really love the smokey taste and aroma. I forgot the nice teaberry finish I get after a nice Latakia blend.

I'm not sure how much more SL I will buy, but I'll definitely be ordering more Lat blends in the very near future!!!

There is plenty of it out there right now, tins, lbs,. At first I did not like the stuff then I gave it another try and understood it a bit more. Glad you have found your pipe again :cheers:

thanks sonarman! I'll give it the rest of the tin before I make a real decision :lol:

thanks greyson, I most certainly am.

First trip to the PO tomorrow for a little bombing, just to get limbered up for this months official bomb run 8)

I know Squadron Leader has a special place in the heart of many pipe smokers, but I don't find it to be anything special or that there's anything about the blend to hold my interest. It is a remarkably average English blend in my opinion. I think Commonwealth has a bit more going for it, but otherwise I think Samuel Gawith's best blends are all Virginia dominant ones (FVF, MVF, Brown #4, Canon Plug, St. James Flake).

I doubt I'll spend too much time and effort on Squadron Leader. Like you said Erica, just nothing to draw me back too it with so many other choices.

Stop the presses! Squadron Leader really works for me in a different pipe!

Tried it in my new Nording, ye gods what a difference!

petertschantz":0mziesib said:

Funny how that works! :lol:

yep! Just read though a bunch of Squadron leader threads where that was the case.

I knew I forgetting something after the layoff :(

SL is just the kind of mellow English blend I reach for when the mood dictates.

Straightforward, soft, and easy going.

Nothing at all wrong with that.

Cheers,

RR

True RR, it is a nice English. I just forgot to try it in different pipes before writing if off.

With luck I won't forget that one for a while!

SL either likes a pipe or it doesn't. It isn't picky, but it isn't universal, either. I have a Wiley pipe that I couldn't get to work right with almost any tobacco. Until Squadron Leader. Not only did it work, it opened up the flavors and abilities of SL, it was like a symphony firing up out of nowhere. Thinking I'd have to get rid of the Wiley, SL saved it from being passed on to someone else. I'm okay with that. :)

8)

thanks for the reply, Kyle. Same thing only backwards for me. The Nording seem to make me able to enjoy the Squadron Leader...

SL is picky re the specific pipe. I haven't figured out if it is a matter of the chamber geometry. I prefer Skiff, which is more consistent.

hp
les

For my experience, the Wiley has a particularly wide-mouthed chamber, that narrows into a decided "V" at the bottom. It's the only pipe I have that is configured this way. SL likes it, and it works.

If you find a pipe that works, well hell, that's cause for celebration...and another bowlful. :cool:

Kyle Weiss":isgz9uo0 said:
For my experience, the Wiley has a particularly wide-mouthed chamber, that narrows into a decided "V" at the bottom. It's the only pipe I have that is configured this way. SL likes it, and it works.

If you find a pipe that works, well hell, that's cause for celebration...and another bowlful. :cool:
FYI, my one and only Wiley is a smoking machine that seems to burn anything well. In fact it's one of my daily pipes and sees a bunch of different blends from VaPers to heavily stoved Kentuckys. It performs flawlessly and as such is one of my very favorite pipes. I'm aware of the chamber configuration and figure it works in my favor.

However, I don't use it for Lat blends, preferring to segregate those to dedicated Lat pipes.

Been looking at the possibility of picking up a second Wiley for some time, but so far none of the shapes I've seen do anything for me. Mine is a pretty straightforward Rhody I got at the (long defunct) local T-Box back about 12 yrs ago.

But back to SL. Right now it goes into either my Sav 316 or Pete XL90 "Fat Boy". Works great in either. I do dry it down a bit first since it seems to come in a little moister than I like.

Cheers,

RR

petertschantz":uz1qr2hv said:

My Nording is my dedicated Squadron Leader pipe. I like SL best in a big bowled pipe like that one, but I haven't felt like smoking a big bowl in quite some time, so the SL is currently getting a rest.

I have this crazy notion that the cut of tobacco is a good starting point for choosing which pipes. Loose, chunky stuff seems to dig wider chambers, thinner/ribbon cut enjoys taller, narrower chambers. Flake, plug or rope? Depends on how they're prepped. Now, I know someone is going to chime in declaring "BS," but it's really just a starting point and a loose theory. Very loose. Open to much interpretation and change, my own included. :lol:

Rande, my Wiley was a nightmare. Because of the good things I had heard about them, and the new line my Tinder Box brought in of them at the time, I put down the most money I ever had on one (back when I could afford it) well over $200--it was also a time when I figured money-equaled-performance with pipes. It was a sad reality that money means nothing in regard to a pipe, because I have a herd of $10 junk store pipes that ran circles around the Wiley. I was pretty disappointed. I managed to fix the drilling problem, fix the stem problem, and eventually discovered Squadron Leader worked best in it. I'm hesitant toward Wiley pipes at this point, but that means nothing--I may find one that becomes my best smokers. Nothing is assured in piping, this is solid truth. :lol: The journey sure is fun, though.

Kyle Weiss":83i7g04a said:
I have this crazy notion that the cut of tobacco is a good starting point for choosing which pipes. Loose, chunky stuff seems to dig wider chambers, thinner/ribbon cut enjoys taller, narrower chambers. Flake, plug or rope? Depends on how they're prepped. Now, I know someone is going to chime in declaring "BS," but it's really just a starting point and a loose theory. Very loose. Open to much interpretation and change, my own included. :lol:

Rande, my Wiley was a nightmare. Because of the good things I had heard about them, and the new line my Tinder Box brought in of them at the time, I put down the most money I ever had on one (back when I could afford it) well over $200--it was also a time when I figured money-equaled-performance with pipes. It was a sad reality that money means nothing in regard to a pipe, because I have a herd of $10 junk store pipes that ran circles around the Wiley. I was pretty disappointed. I managed to fix the drilling problem, fix the stem problem, and eventually discovered Squadron Leader worked best in it. I'm hesitant toward Wiley pipes at this point, but that means nothing--I may find one that becomes my best smokers. Nothing is assured in piping, this is solid truth. :lol: The journey sure is fun, though.
Sorry to hear that Kyle.

I'd never even heard of Wiley pipes when I picked mine up. I was a regular at the T-Box and had a great relationship with the tobacconist. Bought a bunch of pipes from him, including my first 3 Pete's. And at the time they were my best bottle account at the brewery. Did many presentations and events there. Great place.

So one day I saw this rather ordinary looking Rhody and it had an engraved tobacco leaf on the bowl. Kind of liked that touch. Asked Nathan (the proprietor) about it and he said it was a Wiley. And that he thought highly about the line.

It listed for something like $80 at this time but made me a deal. $60 IIRC. Why not, I said?

I didn't smoke it all that much back then, and shortly after went into my 8+ yr pipe hiatus.

When I came back to pipes it started to get regular useage, and I discovered what a great pipe it actually was.

Perhaps it's just a fluke or something, but that pipe is clearly one of my finest smokers.

So there ya go.....

Cheers,

RR