First Full Virgina Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzywozywoz

Reaction score
Howdee all...
A review or rant, don’t know yet!
A quick low-down..So, still newish i guess, into to pipe smoking.
Apart from a few samples, i have only bought 3 tins in smoking life.... Dunhill MM956, Dunhill EMP, and Peterson's connoisseurs choice.
I have 3 pipes, a cob, petersons straight system 31(my aromatic pipe) and Petersons Rock of Cashel 999 (my English/latakia pipe)
When I asked on here, what do people smoke and when… A lot of you just said straight Va all day!

so i got a sample of Mac Baren Virginia Flake ...
This was my first Flake and full virgina.
The flake didnt seem to wet nor to dry, i dont have much to go on thou!

I use my 999, as the sample was just enough to fill it. i used the old fold... twiddel the end a bit, then stuff it. seemed easy enough...
I took 2 lights, tampered... then sparked up one more time.. and i was away!

WOO, i was just blown away with a freshness, rather crisp and grassy , like a summer breeze compared to the more deep and meaningful English blends.
As my first flake too, tampering was alittle weird with the flake ends sticking up, abit like little matchsticks standing upright. Im not sure if it was just me, but it seemed to like burning straight down the centre of the pipe more, so I almost had to tamper the ‘outside wall’ into the middle.
Regardless of the packing/burning issue, which was probably just me, the smoke was clean and tasteful.

I still find it hard to pin point individual flavours, so  ‘Like fresh, crisp and clean summer Breeze’ is my verdict on this VA flake! sorry if its alittle childish compaired to all your seasoned VA smokers.
And as a Full VA, do I assume other full VA’s will have a similar aroma? its nice to know what stright VA taste like anyway.

Towards the end of the pipe, I started to feel weird. Alittle light headed, maybe alittle drunk.. that kind of feeling, for about 10 mins. As I don’t smoke often, nor do i/have ever smoked cigarettes, I was unsure if this was due to the nicotine?? I haven’t felt this with my other ones…

All in all, a nice crisp, fresh smoke, very suitable for the summer here in the UK, and an all-day smoke if one would like to.

Just like to say thanks to everyone on this forum, my pipe world started here, and most advice and knowledge I have gained is through most of you! so, thanks!

Regards
Ozzy

Ozzy, I wouldn't worry about trying to pinpoint a tobaccos flavor or using the words, hint of raisin, Citrus, etc etc. It's meaningless as far as I'm concerned and just a lot of fluff.
As long as you like the tobacco is all that matters sir.
The dizziness your feeling is the nicotine, I get it from Dunhill Elizabethan if I don't eat before. Just take it slow and enjoy.

"Just take it slow and enjoy"

lol i was rather enjoying the light headiness! haha... but i hear some people sick too! which i didnt.

anyway, a VA flake will be my next Tobbacco next month! :)

Ta

Sounds like you had a NICE introduction to THE type of 'bac to smoke in a pipe ! Va's and Flakes are the way to go and there are SOOOOO many variations of them available out there !! You're on your way to some GREAT smoking experiences so stay with it, just take it nice and easy and don't rush Va's and you will have nice smokes all the time !! ( I'm a confirmed Va smoker if you can't tell :twisted: ) As for your nausea I would say it was a hit from "Lady 'n' " so try having something in your stomach in the way of some food before you try another bowl of THAT 'bac and it might be a bit better :twisted: :twisted: 

I like to keep an adult beverage handy while smoking. Keeps lady N in check for me. Just saying.

Andy

Yeah, don't get caught up in lofty terms, flavors or "nuances." It's personal fluff and textual grandeur reserved for word-nerds and faux-elitists like myself. :lol: It's just as good to simply "like" or "not like" a tobacco, so long as you're enjoying the smoke (and the journey).

Besides me pointing out the obvious, though, great thoughts on the tobacco from ya, Oz. :cheers: You described a fresh tin of FVF pretty much how I experienced it. Aged stuff has a different attitude.

Definitely don't smoke on an empty stomach, or smoke half-bowls of tobacco until you get used to the nicotine.

8)

"Grassy" and "summer breeze" sum it up pretty well! Light Virginias always make me think of those things too.

Kyle Weiss":884bcmos said:
Yeah, don't get caught up in lofty terms, flavors or "nuances."  It's personal fluff and textual grandeur reserved for word-nerds and faux-elitists like myself.
Well I taste Madagascar vanilla that travelled in a can of peanuts by rum runner through a nor'easter on Lake Ontario during Prohibition.  Can't mistake that nuance.  No sir.