First item in the cellar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
I never really considered cellaring tobacco, but after reading here a bit the idea started brewing in the back of my mind. I went to the tobacconist today intending to get 4oz of PS luxury bullseye flake, and on impulse doubled the order. I picked up a set of mason jars on my way home and I now have a cellar. That jar looks lonely though, so I'll need to get him some friends real soon :)
Mike.

Good job! Be carefull, though. There is a disorder that comes very quickly, when you start cellaring. It is called TAD. Before you know it, you will have 100 lbs of baccy and an emptier bank account.  :lol!:  I have been cellaring for a month and have almost 6 lbs.

But, definitely get some friends for your mason jar!

Smoke in good health!
JP

You are off to a good start.  Prices will never be cheaper than today.  

Better stock up before the Tax man strikes.

Great start to your cellar. My wife gets mad at me because all of her mason jars for jam are disappearing! In fact I have to jar up a bunch of open tins today. I've been lazy about it.

Fine way to start. LBF was my first bulk. Smoked half and am keeping the other half jarred up until it comes back around in my VaPer rotation. I tend to keep 1-2 open Englishes, an open VaPer, and the occasional oddball at hand. Once they're smoked through I move on to the next in the respective category.
d4klutz":1xf45j00 said:
 I have been cellaring for a month and have almost 6 lbs.
Good grief, sir! I have been storing/cellaring for a little over 2 years and am only around 7 lbs. :affraid: Either you need to slow down, or I need to speed up. I'm going with the latter... just don't tell my wife.

Hopefully I'll be able to manage my TAD, but time will tell. It seems just doubling up on orders now and then will keep me from going broke or getting divorced. Actually my wife is a real gem and very supportive. When I showed her the mason jars she pulled out a set of sealing ceramic canisters with metal clasps that she bought for me to use for tobacco! I'll keep these for the current rotation.
Now the challenge is deciding what to cellar. I smoke a lot of different blends but honestly have only a few go-to blends. I guess that simplifies things, but then again variety is nice..
Mike.

I just placed an order with boswell's for a few ounces of their "Northwoods" which is a great latakia forward blend. I'm a pretty new pipe smoker, and even though I've never tried LBF, I got 4oz. Half to cellar, half to try out "fresh".

I also have some other things in the order I plan on cellaring too.

You've got to start somewhere (and LBF seems to be the place!)

MichaelM":la51zmsh said:
I never really considered cellaring tobacco, but after reading here a bit the idea started brewing in the back of my mind.  I went to the tobacconist today intending to get 4oz of PS luxury bullseye flake, and on impulse doubled the order. I picked up a set of mason jars on my way home and I now have a cellar.  That jar looks lonely though, so I'll need to get him some friends real soon :)
Mike.
PS Birdseye is a good place to start on the cellaring.

May your cellar grow by leaps and bounds.

Cheers,

RR

PS-LBF is a superb blend, what a fine choice to get your cellar started with, worry not though as you lonesome mason jar shall 'soon' have many more friends, TAD is infectious and a demanding Mistress, enjoy the journey.  :sunny: 

MichaelM":czqiruzb said:
It seems just doubling up on orders now and then will keep me from going broke or getting divorced.
That's a good way to start. Buy one to smoke and one for the cellar; before you know it, they'll be breeding down there.

George Kaplan":wjlfkjko said:
That's a good way to start. Buy one to smoke and one for the cellar; before you know it, they'll be breeding down there.
This is true. I was looking in the back of my cupboard this weekend and I found a tin of Blackwoods Flake that I had no idea I had. They're having babies in there, I am sure of it.

DrumsAndBeer":c3c4idqz said:
George Kaplan":c3c4idqz said:
This is true. I was looking in the back of my cupboard this weekend and I found a tin of Blackwoods Flake that I had no idea I had. They're having babies in there, I am sure of it.
Haha! I've had that happen to me as well (I rely on memory,I don't keep a written inventory). Always a pleasant surprise  ;) 

MichaelM":7tm16qid said:
I never really considered cellaring tobacco, but after reading here a bit the idea started brewing in the back of my mind.  I went to the tobacconist today intending to get 4oz of PS luxury bullseye flake, and on impulse doubled the order. I picked up a set of mason jars on my way home and I now have a cellar.  That jar looks lonely though, so I'll need to get him some friends real soon :)
Mike.
WTG-- you won't regret it. That PS Luxury Bulleye Flake greatly improves with a couple years of proper aging.

rothnh":dcnjluw2 said:
DrumsAndBeer":dcnjluw2 said:
George Kaplan":dcnjluw2 said:
Haha!  I've had that happen to me as well (I rely on memory,I don't keep a written inventory).  Always a pleasant surprise  ;) 
Same here. Recently, I was reading an Escudo thread here thinking, "Do I have Escudo? I don't remember buying Escudo, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some in my foot locker / cellar." My friend, Abigail, is living in my apartment while I'm away, and I occasionally have her send me tobacco from my stash. I called her last weekend about the Escudo, but we got caught up in other conversation. Just as I was about to hang up, I remembered why I called and blurted out, "OH!! Oh! Oh! Look in my box! Do I have Escudo?"
Long Pause
Abbey: "Have a what?"
Me: "Escudo! Escudo!"
Abbey: "Oh my god! Are you having a stroke?"
 :suspect: 
Turns out I did have some Escudo.

George Kaplan":5ab00e7u said:
rothnh":5ab00e7u said:
DrumsAndBeer":5ab00e7u said:
George Kaplan":5ab00e7u said:
Haha!  I've had that happen to me as well (I rely on memory,I don't keep a written inventory).  Always a pleasant surprise  ;) 
Same here. Recently, I was reading an Escudo thread here thinking, "Do I have Escudo? I don't remember buying Escudo, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some in my foot locker / cellar." My friend, Abigail, is living in my apartment while I'm away, and I occasionally have her send me tobacco from my stash. I called her last weekend about the Escudo, but we got caught up in other conversation. Just as I was about to hang up, I remembered why I called and blurted out, "OH!! Oh! Oh! Look in my box! Do I have Escudo?"
Long Pause
Abbey: "Have a what?"
Me: "Escudo! Escudo!"
Abbey: "Oh my god! Are you having a stroke?"
 :suspect: 
Turns out I did have some Escudo.
Ahh! "Senior moments" beginning early George?  :lol!: :lol!: :twisted: :twisted: 

I'm weird when it comes to my cellar. I'm just getting started with it myself. If I find something I like, I'll jar it up and I won't smoke it, scared to death that one day will come that I won't be able to get anymore. Thats paranoia for you haha.

cdymora":45dmshrj said:
I'm weird when it comes to my cellar. I'm just getting started with it myself. If I find something I like, I'll jar it up and I won't smoke it, scared to death that one day will come that I won't be able to get anymore. Thats paranoia for you haha.
Well true, that has happened all too often over the years where a beloved blend disappears from the shelf.  That's one more reason why the policy, "buy enough to smoke some now and cellar the rest -- even if one usually buys one tin or puch at atime, buy two-- is a smart idea.

By my count I'll run out of pipe tobacco when I turn 100. But I keep adding more to the hoard. Can't be too safe.

PS Bulls-eye is a great starter in your cellar. I have a pound divided into small 4 oz jars in my cellar. I am now doing my imitation of a duck sitting on a nest waiting the two years for deliciousness to set in.  :D 

flyguy":mh4av07n said:
PS Bulls-eye is a great starter in your cellar.  I have a pound divided into small 4 oz jars in my cellar.  I am now doing my imitation of a duck sitting on a nest waiting the two years for deliciousness to set in.  :D 
Absolutely.

Bullseye absolutely requires 1-2 years of cellaring. Two years or more recommended.