First Non-Aromatic Suggestion

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sf1973

Reaction score
I suppose everything I have ever smoked (from a pipe) was aromatic. I am looking to expand my horizons. What would be your suggestion for a first non aro?

My first, and still a firm favourite, non aromatic was Squadron Leader.

This is an English/Latakia blend. The smell from the tin is very odd if you are used to aromatics, it smells like leathery bonfire to me, but it smokes wonderfully. You may not win many friends by smoking this, but I smoke for my enjoyment :D

It seems like squadron leader is sold out everywhere online. That was one I was tentatively leaning towards. Seems like most of the S. Gawith stuff is hard to come by. Any suggestions for something a little more readily available?

Pipeworks & Wilke

http://www.vtpipes.com/tobacco.html

Get a sampler pack from Carole.

Pick some that sound about right for what you want.

Going non-aro:

Wilke High Hat (Medium English, smoky Latakia)
Wilke Nut Brown Burley (Straightforward, no nonsense smokin')
Wilke #5 (hardly an aromatic even though it sort of says it is... just mild, natural sweetness)
Wilke #13 (slight hint of Royal Scot, which is ever-so-slightly sweet, in a good way)
Wilke #72 (light smoky English)

Pick some of those when you call, usually it's four to a sampler, but you can ask for a couple more.

Great seller, great tobaccos.

Squadron Leader is available in bulk here (and it's also a great smoke):

http://www.4noggins.com/samuelgawithbulksquadronleader.aspx

Lastly, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe--another wonderful, no-nonsense smoke, stoved for a smoky nuance.

http://www.4noggins.com/DunhillEarlyMorningPipe50g.aspx

sf1973":8pxqxa8k said:
It seems like squadron leader is sold out everywhere online. That was one I was tentatively leaning towards. Seems like most of the S. Gawith stuff is hard to come by. Any suggestions for something a little more readily available?
Ah, on this side of the pond the SG blends are readily available. On the other hand we can't get the Esoterica blends.

There are lots of great transitional tobaccos out there but the first one I would recommend would be Boswell Pipes and Tobaccos' Magnum Blend. It's a mild English that I really like and it can be smoked all day long. If you would like a transitional VA/Per I would recommend L.J. Peretti's Park Square. It's another great blend that is my favorite VA/Per. For a burley mix that is not aromatic I recommend C&D's Epiphany or Morley's Best.

Smokey

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at the 4noggins site, but 8oz is a bit much to purchase if I end up not caring for it. I've been looking into all of these and many sound appealing. I'm working on assembling a wish list. I can see the potential expense in finding a favorite. Luckily nothing has turned me off enough not to smoke it.

sf1973":s6175eld said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at the 4noggins site, but 8oz is a bit much to purchase if I end up not caring for it. I've been looking into all of these and many sound appealing. I'm working on assembling a wish list. I can see the potential expense in finding a favorite. Luckily nothing has turned me off enough not to smoke it.
Are you kidding? That there is trading fodder here at BoB if you don't like it! :lol: Especially if you say, "Hey, got this 8oz of this here Squadron Leader to offer, got anything to try?" 8) Well, after the 30 days/30 posts thing is up, anyway.

It isn't wasted effort or money, I've come to find. You'd be shocked the generosity and deals through the guys here, too--I wouldn't have experienced the tobacco I have if it weren't for The Brothers.

sf1973":k8m9u5qn said:
Keep checking Pipesandcigars.com. They sell it in increments as small as one ounce and usually have it in stock. They had it as late as this past weekend.

I would also suggest Peterson's Old Dublin as being in the realm of SL but easier to get a hold of (I prefer OD to SL). I have also heard that Low Country's Cooper is pretty close, but I haven't tried it myself.

4noggins sells in 2oz bulk amounts. But if you want a mild blend that has tons of flavor. I'd suggest Mac Baren Danish Mixture. I come in a 100g tin and is at a very good price. 

One of my first non-aros and still my favorite blend so far - McClelland's Frog Morton On The Town. Mild and tasty...

mike_68":w9s6yp9d said:
One of my first non-aros and still my favorite blend so far - McClelland's Frog Morton On The Town. Mild and tasty...
Santa gave me a tin of this recently... It's gonna be the first one I dive into when I open a new tin!!! :cheers:

Try 4 noggins, John Patton, aka tiltjlp, Quadruple Virginia, Cool Hand Fluke, Storm Front. order a couple of ounces of each and this will get you in the ballpark. Buy good quality tobacco and it's easier to trade / sale if you don't care for it...or put it in a jar and date it. You'll more than likely come back to it later. JMHO.

Bill

Kyle Weiss":1ny07zaw said:
mike_68":1ny07zaw said:
Santa gave me a tin of this recently... It's gonna be the first one I dive into when I open a new tin!!! :cheers:
Great stuff...I think you'll love it..

mike_68":icg6xotp said:
Kyle Weiss":icg6xotp said:
mike_68":icg6xotp said:
Great stuff...I think you'll love it..
...gonna be hard to decide on "On The Town" and "Across The Pond..." 8) Got one of each!!! Ah, decisions! :lol:

Order in. A couple oz. of Squadron Leader, a tin of Frog on the Town, and Dunhill Early Morning should get me started. Now I gotta wait.

sf1973":0kwmqcka said:
I suppose everything I have ever smoked (from a pipe) was aromatic. I am looking to expand my horizons. What would be your suggestion for a first non aro?
Since you're in the Bay Area, there are a couple or three shops you might want to visit, where you can taste a few things. If you tell me where you are, I can make a recommendation or two. Feel free to PM me.

sf1973":exua6skr said:
Order in. A couple oz. of Squadron Leader, a tin of Frog on the Town, and Dunhill Early Morning should get me started. Now I gotta wait.
In addition to the Golden Sliced, I think you've made some good choices across the board.

If you really are in SF, I hear there are indeed some neat shops there--likely more than willing to let you try things to your heart's content! I can't wait until I get back to the Bay Area and tour all the coffee spots and pipe stores. :cheers: