First Non-Aromatic Suggestion

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, as a newer pipe smoker myself I would suggest some Virginia blends or a mild burley blend like Stokkebye Cube Cut. Going from aromatics to Squadron Leader is like recommending whiskey to someone new to wine drinking.

standardtoaster":hi086c0o said:
Hmm, as a newer pipe smoker myself I would suggest some Virginia blends or a mild burley blend like Stokkebye Cube Cut. Going from aromatics to Squadron Leader is like recommending whiskey to someone new to wine drinking.
Squadron Leader isn't that bad--I have a wussy tongue, and I love the stuff. Burley is nice, but some people find it TOO bland.

Agreed on some Virginia blends. It isn't a race, though, plenty of time to experiment. :) Sometimes just making any decision at all is a good thing--or be like me and hesitate and second-guess decisions neurotically. :lol: It's hard to try tobacco you can't pull the trigger on... :lol:

Despite my suggestion of OGS earlier in thread, I would say that when I was starting out, I had a much harder time with Virginias then with Enlgishs because the Virginias tended to be either flakes or broken flakes and I have problems with moisture content, keeping the pipe lit, etc. Ribbons are definitely easier. So there may be some merit to the suggestion of starting with an English. Though the obvious solution is to get one of each and see which floats your boat the most.

Dave_In_Philly":mtoc79r1 said:
Despite my suggestion of OGS earlier in thread, I would say that when I was starting out, I had a much harder time with Virginias then with Enlgishs because the Virginias tended to be either flakes or broken flakes and I have problems with moisture content, keeping the pipe lit, etc. Ribbons are definitely easier. So there may be some merit to the suggestion of starting with an English. Though the obvious solution is to get one of each and see which floats your boat the most.
Incidentally, you gave me some of my first flakes, sir. :lol: I figured it out. 8) I've even gone so far as to find out which pipes like it a little rough, and which prefer a good, separating rub to best achieve maximum output. At least, I think so. More on that later. So far so good! :)

Dave_In_Philly":gq7zyes1 said:
Though the obvious solution is to get one of each and see which floats your boat the most.
Yeah, I pretty much bought one of everything and just went to town. The Squadron Leader smell in the bag blew me off my ass.

standardtoaster":wdjvpxyo said:
...Going from aromatics to Squadron Leader is like recommending whiskey to someone new to wine drinking.
You not kidding! First whiff of the stuff reminded me of my first sip of Laphroaig! I have to say it was a bit too intense for the mood I was in. Nothing necessarily unpleasant, just a bit much. I'm going to slowly go through some different varieties and see where my taste lands me. I also tried GLP's Barbary Coast and McClelland Christmas Cheer. I really liked the Barbary Coast, but it left an overpowering aftertaste. The Christmas Cheer was pleasant, but I had a difficult time keeping it lit. I've got the Frog on my agenda for tommorrow.

Who knows...maybe I'll be in the minority here who prefer aros. My favorite overall is still Boswell's No Bite Delight.

Oh, pish posh. My tongue is as mewling and as whiny as a spoiled child. :lol: Squadron Leader's bark is far worse than its bite, and that ain't no joke...I went from aromatics to it with nary a crossover, perhaps some Wilke's #13 (which, if it matters, is a great light/med sweet "English" with some Lat that smokes a DREAM...). Squadron Leader is about a 4 or a 5 on an "asskicker" scale, if you ask me. It's why I like it, it's quite civilized.

It is all a matter of taste...if aromatics do it for you, awesome. I still have a few in my rotation I find very pleasant. I like them best for social occasions, where the ambient smell and light nicotine mean I can reach for a few bowls in the evening without feeling like I'm seatlocked by vitamin "N." :lol:

Go with what ya like. 8)