first oriental

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragged claws

Reaction score
I just got a tin of Robert McConnell Oriental today. At first I thought that it smelled and tasted just like my Squadron Leader, but after a few puffs I can tell that it's a whole different deal. It seems sweeter, with some subtle flavors I can't really describe. It seems like I can taste more Virginia than I can with the SL. Squadron Leader was my favorite until now. As a newb to good pipe tobacco, I'm having a lot of fun learning to taste the different flavors. When I've smoked pipes in the past I've only experienced the over- the- counter aromatics. This forum has introduced me to a much more rewarding smoking experience.

Kim

Congratulations on your find. This is one of my favorite blends. McConnell is one of my favorite brands and I think you won't be disappointed if you try their other offerings. If you're looking for other outstanding blends that are off the radar, try also Fribourg & Treyer.

Wet Dottle":jldr2ab0 said:
Congratulations on your find. This is one of my favorite blends. McConnell is one of my favorite brands and I think you won't be disappointed if you try their other offerings. If you're looking for other outstanding blends that are off the radar, try also Fribourg & Treyer.
Which F&T blends would you recommend?

McConnell's Oriental has been on my list for a while now. I'll be sure to put a tin of it on my next order. I recently grabbed a tin of McConnell's Red Virginia, but I am aging that one a bit.

Too many good O's out there to start throwing out suggestions...from Patton's Oriental Dusk (with unique, interesting and subtle nuances of all kinds carressing one's senses) to Peretti's Oriental #40 (which is totally pure Orientals only...brash and succulent). And that's just going from Pa... to Pe... !

Sticking with McConnells but not Orientals, I'd say that Scottish Flake is one of their finest offerings.

DrumsAndBeer":zzvwcsl3 said:
Which F&T blends would you recommend?
It depends on your tastes. My favorites are Special Brown Flake, Cut Virginia Plug, and Vintage. All their VAs are really good. But, unlike the VAs, the blends with Latakia are not what I would call outstanding and I would skip those.