First Taste: Vincent Manil's La Brumeuse Semois

• Thread starter Deleted member 2386
  • Start date
Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 2386

So I received a gold brick of Vincent Manil's famous La Brumeuse Semois, and let me tell you, this stuff isn't as good as its reputation.

It's better.

I don't have a very sophisticated palate, but even still I can testify this stuff is unlike any tobacco I've ever smoked. Earthy and (natural) cigar-like, as others have reported, almost an umami sort of taste. Dry as a bone, but packed tightly into a moderate Jirsa it gave me an hour of absolute delight and never burned hot.

I've chased down a few unobtanium blends in my admittedly short day, and while some have lived up to the hype (fresh Stonehaven) others have failed to really wow me (Penzance). This is one of the show stoppers, at least for me. It may not have the strongest or most complex flavor profile out there, but to my tongue it's certainly a unique taste, and one I intend to explore at length.

If you're curious and have been on the fence, stop being a mugwump and get with this Belgian beauty!

Interesting. I found it to be the opposite. Underwhelmed, like an earthier burley and I never really enjoyed the bowl.

I will say in the Pro's column, it was dry without crumbling, packed and burned very well. But, flavor-wise it was meh to me.

Different strokes for Different folks. Glad you like it.

I like the taste quite a bit and it's a very satisfying smoke, even though the vitamin N doesn't seem as strong as some.  It reminds me of Five Brothers a little or maybe a Gauloises (sp?) cigarette.  I detect some sort of a "toast" taste on the tongue, with an underlying herbal earthiness, if that makes any sense.  I detect no sweetness at all, and the flavor profile is monolithic, the same taste from beginning to end, but it still entrances. I can see having this on hand and will buy more.      

(I am no good at describing taste, plus I just came off a head cold, so what I say may well be pure b.s., even though I'm smoking it as we speak in a Castello bent bulldog that I think I'll dedicate to it.)

I personally didn't like it much, but I like pretty heavy VaPers like Haddos. Burleys also seem to be pretty nasty for my tongue. I put the rest of mine in a jar for long storage, see if it may change a bit in age

rev

I kind of come down somewhere in the middle. I completely agree with earthy and cigar like. I also agree that it is earthy/nutty in the way burley is. I had a small bowl and enjoyed it quite a bit, but kept thinking that I could see myself getting very bored if I had tried it out in a much larger pipe. All in all, I'm glad to have tried it as I really don't see a parallel to it in the current pipeosphere.

Last time I tried some semois was in the early 90s. Went through several brands and did not really like any of it. What turned me off was the weak and cigarette-like flavors that I got. I don't know the brand names, but I remember hunting for them and finding several types in brands from France, Belgium, Switzerland, and Germany. What stayed in my mind as the least offensive was a blend from Switzerland (I don't remember which). But I'm sure things have changed and I'm a different pipe smoker now. I'll give this one a try when it becomes more easily available.

Scottie sent me some in my Bombardment and I've smoked it in 4 different pipes, one meer, one cob and two briars. It's easy to pack and load in a pipe, lights easily and stay's lit all through the bowl. Smokes dry and does not really bite unless pushed hard. All this would be great if it had any taste to it! Just a VERY PLAIN earthy burley tobacco flavor and aroma which for Burley lovers ought to be just the ticket. I'll stick with my Va's,  :twisted:

Scottie also gifted me with some of this. Only tried it once so far, but have to say I was underwhelmed to say the least.

Still, I've give it another go in a different pipe when the mood strikes.

Cheers,

RR

I could tell right out of the gate that a lot of people would not like it. However, I am not one of them. I think it is unlike anything I've ever had. It is one of the best smokes I've ever had.

I like it, not love it. However, I've only had the shag variety that I believe is intended more for cigarettes. Was yours a very thick cut?

I've actually heard that Gauloises has semois in is, so apt comparison!

Yup, moi too..
Rustic, rather than strong burley, won't convince a VaPer smoker to leave home. A bit of natural sweetness for about half way down then the shoulders of burley bigness to the bottom of the bowl. Better for me in a cob, too concentrated in a briar even a Kirsten. If this grew in our own back yard and the New York Times and general scarcity didn't pique curiosity it would be a survivor but not likely a thriver. Waaay better than OTC, no bite..I'll finish it and move on

Yes, yes, keep the mediocre, run-of-the-mill reviews coming, boys! This is just plain old bland burley, nothing to see here, certainly nothing worth hunting into the ridiculous scarcity of some of my other favorite blends...

And Gnossos, the Brumeuse I received was described as "thick cut;" it's definitely more ribbon than shag.

Want to edit my previous comments:  Its terrible.  Tastes like a Macanudo dipped in Menuedo.

:pig: :pig: :pig:

Will they be selling the Bouchons de Semois also? I'd like to try one of those, if only for something unique. Online I see they go for 50 euros for a box of 20 on Vincent's website.

No Bail":1khn3ku5 said:
Will they be selling the Bouchons de Semois also?  I'd like to try one of those, if only for something unique.  Online I see they go for 50 euros for a box of 20 on Vincent's website.  
As of now, I believe it will only be the La Brumeuse. I'd love to try the bouchons, though.

Sean graciously sent me a good sample of it. I tried it today and here's what I told him.......WOW!
I loaded it in a rather small bowl 3/4" diameter 1" deep and packed it high and tight as the instructions suggested and took a cup o Joe with me.
The first couple of draws reminded me of a Roi-Tan that had been sitting on the dashboard for a week but, after I started getting into the bowl it really calmed down. Still cigarish but, more like a Hav-a-Tampa, smooth, rich and something odd which I've never experienced, a coolness across the very middle of my tongue which stayed there even after I was done, almost like a menthol. Will definitely try this again and again, a nice change from the usual.
I like it, figures right. ;)

I'm on my first bowl of this. Reminiscent of Dark flake, but not quite so dark, and absolutely no scenting. A bit cigar-like, definitely rustic.