First time Nightcap smoker!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAJ_ile

Reaction score
Hello Brothers,

I am primarily an aromatic pipe tobacco smoker, occasional unflavored straight up tobacco cigar smoker. I have not dabbled much in the english/untopped pipe tobaccos much. I ordered a tin of Dunhill's Nightcap on a suggestion from a friend. I had my first taste this evening, as a.....nightcap. All I can say is, WOW this stuff is great, the peppery cedar scent of the smoke, the full unabashed flavor or the stuff from the first puff to the last, the complete burn, and very fine ash, the slow burn of it, its incredible. Have I been missing out my entire pipe smoking life? is this what I can expect from other english blends? Do I need to be purchasing and smoking nothing but english? I am just blown away by this, and had to gush a little, I hope you gent's don't mind.

Cheers
Nick

Nick, I don't know if I would go so far as to say you should smoke exclusively English blends, but they have always had a regular place in my rotation.

If you like the current Dunhill Nightcap, you should try a tin from the Murrays era. I will smoke either, but prefer the Murrays when I can get it.

Welcome to the "I love Nightcap Club!!" Being a bit of a Lathead, I've smoked this stuff for years. Ol' Dutch is correct that the earlier version/s may be better; that may just be a function of age, tobacco, or both. I don't know, I'm too old to remember what it, or anything else, tasted like 20 years ago:p I haven't delved into my inventory of post-Murray version/s yet as I still have a goodly stash of Murray tins on hand. I hope you continue to enjoy this blend :cheers: FTRPLT

I've always found that variety is the spice of life.   You wouldn't limit yourself to only drinking lemonade or eating hamburgers for the next few years would you?   So be adventurous and try many different pipe tobacco blends.   You might find a host of new favorites just waiting to be discovered.

Over the years I've found that enjoying certain combinations of tobacco + pipe + beverage + environment have provided awesome experiences.   Sometimes it's trying a blend for the first time.   Other times it's smoking a blend I thought was just OK in a different pipe and discovering all sorts of new flavors.    

On the flip side, occasionally a favorite blend will provide a very flat / lifeless smoke.  For me I've found this normally indicates that my taste buds are "bored" with a certain type of blend (English, Balkan, straight VA,  VA/Bur, aromatic, etc.) and that it's time to switch to something else for awhile.    Perhaps you are experiencing this right now.

Oh boy, do I love Nightcap. It's a rich, delicious smoke. If this is your first time stepping out from Aromatics then you are in for a treat. So many great tobaccos out there....

I've smoked Nightcap for many years. I usually gravitate to English blends and this is one of my favorites. Glad you're enjoying it! :)

I used to like Nightcap quite a bit, but over the last few years it's missed the sweet spot (not meaning the new version of the blend...even Murrays that I got my hands on). Once upon a time, it was my go-to "heavy" English, though nowadays I find that GLPs Blackpoint scratches that itch for me.

Nightcap is pretty good.

I prefer Bill Bailey's Balkan, Plum Pudding, Samarra, Quiet Nights or Capt Earle's Private Stock..

I haven't smoked Night Cap in many years, maybe I'm missing something and need to revisit? Hmmmmm....

@DAB, I like Plum Pudding a lot (SPC?) but haven't tried the others you listed. Darn, so many great blends, so little time (and money)

RobJ":288st4em said:
I haven't smoked Night Cap in many years, maybe I'm missing something and need to revisit? Hmmmmm....

@DAB, I like Plum Pudding a lot (SPC?) but haven't tried the others you listed. Darn, so many great blends, so little time (and money)
Yes. SPC Plum Pudding.

I hear you. If you spend enough time thinking about new blends, you'll likely never get around to smoking the ones you have, and that's no good.. :p

I can easily work my pipe tobacco grubbing psyche into a not for sure.

SPC Plum Pudding yep I have about a pound and a half jarred. Good stuff.

RobJ":rlxgjcvn said:
I can easily work my pipe tobacco grubbing psyche into a not for sure.

SPC Plum Pudding yep I have about a pound and a half jarred. Good stuff.
Yea, I'll have to try that one. I ordered a few things from PipesandCigars today. I ordered few blends I saw folks smoking on here and wanted to try. I got another tin of SPC Deception Pass, as I smoked up mine almost immediately. Got a tin of Edward G. Robison blend, 1oz of Happy Brown Bogie, and a tin of C&D Big Burley 103. (As a side note I lived on Whidbey Island for 4 years as a kid, so I crossed that bridge many times.)