First time pipe buyer.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewPipe

Reaction score
Hello to all,
a little about me. I am 47 have smoked RYO for some 27 years (currently smoking Champion Ruby a Virginia mix) and have just recently been looking at smoking a pipe.

I have done my online research on the different styles and materials that pipes come in and have been trawling ebay for the last week trying to get a feel for what is a good pipe and what is not.

I have joined this forum in the hope I can gain some pointers in what to look for in a pipe and the tobacco which would suit. I'm looking forward to trying Latakia, Perique, Cavendish and the many other tobaccos I have yet to experience.

So given that I like the look of a half bent, I read they are easier to maintain than the full bent Sherlock looking pipe, what would you good sirs advise as my first pipe purchase?
My budget for a first pipe would be $60-$100 (AUD Australian Dollars).

I have looked at the Peterson range and hear good things about them but then I hear Stanwell and Wade and some Danish pipes are a good starting pipe. I may well be wrong. I think I'd like a no filter pipe.

I think I'll be sticking to a traditional tobacco, pipe tobacco of course, I have a tin of Dr Pats Deluxe which I hear is only sold in AUS/NZ. No doubt the wrong stuff but thought I'd make a start on a tobacco collection.
So no aromatic at this stage but I would like to try them. I used to live in the UK and every time the family went to Scotland we'd visit an Uncle who smoked a pipe. The smell is still a comfort and an aromatic from memory.

There are very few pipe tobacconist/shops in my area the only pipes I've seen are the $9.99 not even Briar pipes most tobacconists carry. I think they are stone or even plastic, nasty.

There is a Pipe tobacco shop in Brisbane and I will be there on a business trip next month though frankly their prices are outrageous and I can buy the same pipe online or on ebay for half the price. I will buy an assortment of tobacco there so as to find my likes.

So yes what brand? What style?
Any advice on where to buy my first pipe?
Any advice at all?

Thank You.
NewPipe.

NewPipe, welcome to the BoB forums.

I would check ebay and do a search for Savinelli, Mario Grandi, and Peterson.

One of my favorite tobaccos and an easy smoke for a newbie would be Frog Morton "On The Town."

Welcome aboard!

I personally prefer a pipe with a 1/8 to 1/4 bend to the stem. I'm particularly fond of pokers or cherrywoods in this configuration.

All of the companies previously mentioned make a good pipe. Stanwell just recently moved their production to Italy, I think. Don't know if that has been a good thing or not.

I tend to prefer English or traditional shapes, but there are some real beauties out there.

As to E-Bay, I have purchased many "estate or vintage" pipes on there and have had excellent results. There are several on this board that sell on E-Bay and I consider that a recommendation, but some won't/can't deal internationally, so if you see something you like, be sure to communicate with the seller to avoid any problems.

One seller I highly recommend is Steve Fallon (Pipestud). He's from Texas, but as honest a gentleman as you'll ever find.

I think most prefer that their first pipe be a new one, but once you get comfortable, don't hesitate to check out the older estates. I am particularly partial to Charatan, but have picked up some good deals on Castello, Radice, Barling, Spanu to name a few. You might also visit Jan Zeman's website, from New Zealand, he makes a fine pipe at any price.

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure some of the other experts in this will be along directly to advise, so I'll just say 'Hope you enjoy yourself'

"T"

The advice is already helping in my search for my first pipe.
The more the better.

Thank you again.

Welcome aboard!

I like Dutch's recommendation! I'd also add that pipesandcigars.com, cupojoes.com and smokingpipes.com typically have good prices on new and estate pupes and tobacco. I can't say which will ship overseas though but all a worth a look.

Happy hunting!

Most helpful.
Having pipes sent international is ok but I'll have to be creative to obtain some nice tobaccos. So far it looks a bit limited here in Oz. I have family in the US and Europe so may have an in road there.

May find an exotic importer some where I have only tried the main pipe shops in Oz of which I think I've found 5. About one per state capital but I'm very new to this and will find me feet.

Thank you all again.

Ah the welcome here is something else thank you.

Anyone else have any other recommended brands and or styles for a first time pipe smoker.

I was thinking of a PETERSON ARAN BRIAR PIPE as it has no filter and a fish tail stem. Peterson look to be a respected pipe maker but some of you may have other ideas. I like the look of this pipe but as I have said my nearest Pipe store is some miles away and it will be April before I get there. So ordering online at the moment.

As I said I have smoked roll your own for years but want to give them away and smoke a pipe and enjoy it. I'm sick of standing outside dragging on a smoke as quick as possible. Think I'd rather wait until I'm home and enjoy a nice long smoke of a good tobacco with a good Irish Whiskey.

The advice I have had here has helped in my search for my first pipe but then I don't think I'll be stopping at one. Any pointers on your favorites and why they are "good smokers" would be appreciated, I've looked at the Mario Grande very nice and Peterson. Think I'll go with a no filter pipe for now.

Your experience would be a great help.

Thanks again.
<div align="left"></div>

Welcome!
Some of my favorite pipes are Petersons. They are respectable, but the "system" (moisture sump) can take a little getting used to. I am very fond of Radice and Ser Jacapo as well. The one thing that seems to be universally true is that pipes are like music - in that it isn't the pipe or song itself but the memories it seems to invoke. Find one that you are drawn to and, after you spend enough time with it, it will become your trusted friend and adviser.

Cheers and good pipe hunting!

Hello,
on my never ending search for a pipe I have found many filter pipes.
Can you use a filter pipe without the filter ?
Or should I buy a no filter pipe ?

Thanks,

Most filter pipes work just fine without the filter. Some that don't will need an adapter. Funny thing about filters: Most Americans will insist you throw them away and never look back, yet they're quite common in Europe. Many German pipes even use a massive 9mm charcoal cartridge. You'll have to let us know the prevalent attitude down under.
The Peterson Aran line is a fine place to start. Peterson and Savinelli both have consistently good quality over a wide range of prices. This is true of some others, of course, but these are the recommendations I make based on personal experience.
Also, well put, Dottleman!

Dottleman":hhzi4b80 said:
The one thing that seems to be universally true is that pipes are like music - in that it isn't the pipe or song itself but the memories it seems to invoke. Find one that you are drawn to and, after you spend enough time with it, it will become your trusted friend and adviser.

I'm looking at the Peterson Aran Briar 80s I like the look of it it's difficult to get a feel for it when I can only see a picture of it. Still it looks like something I'm going to enjoy.

The only other person I know who smokes a pipe is my brother and he like me has only started and is still deciding what he likes.

Have ordered my pipe and now will have to be patient as it's going to take a week or so to get here.