First time with FVF

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
Tried FVF this morning.

Wow. I opened the tin last night and let one strip drie out over night. Popped it in this morning and it was really good.

After trying McClellands 2011 Christmas Cheer and then this I have decided that I definately dig Virginias.

It really is for lovers. ;)

I've developed a really strong affinity for Virginia. It's come about mainly through FVF and OGS. Picking up a few aged tins of FVF really opened my eyes to what real tobacco tastes like... and I love it. The OGS that I have been smoking is fresh, but is a smooth, sweet, mellow smoke. The FVF I've been smoking only has three years on it, but the deep rich flavor and heady nature is to die for.

I have come to realize that tobacco is a lot like rock 'n' roll. To truly understand it you have to go to the roots. Virginia is at the root of so many blends and smoking it in it's most purest form is a great way to gain a deeper understanding of other blends in which it is contained. Same with rock 'n' roll... blues is at the heart it. Respecting and appreciating the blues it is important to developing a deeper understanding of rock 'n' roll.

Salud,

Milan

As a relative tobacco novice, it has been good to find a type of leaf that I really like. Going forward I can have a better idea of what blends with Virginia should taste like.

Wait 'til you try some that's been aged a few years. Of course, I love FVF both new and aged. Hard to beat.

taharris":u118vlet said:
I couldn't agree more.

I started out a Latakia guy, but after FVF I am now a convert to Virginias.

Todd
This! When I began my pipe journey three years ago, after going through the aromatics, I fell in love with English blends and this love affair lasted for 2+ years. For some reason, in the past year I have found a home with Virginias and Burleys. More specifically, I have come to really enjoy the Samuel Gawith and Gawith&Hoggarth offerings. Dark Bird's Eye and Full Va Flake are always in my pipe bag now and as a matter of fact, I tried Bracken Flake for the first time today. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but it is yet another blend that I am digging. English blends still have their place, but I find myself only reaching for them once or twice a week at best.

-Scott

jdkonzem":gmntsc32 said:
It really is for lovers. ;)
<------ yes, yes it is ;)

I'm right there with you gentlemen. When I started I realized very quickly that soaking wet aromatics weren't doing it for me (I was coming off cigs and cigars) then I tried a mild English blend from a local shop... Smoked that blend exclusively for the next year and a half or so. A little over three years ago I tried Luxury Navy and luxury Bullseye flake from PS and it completely changed my tastes in tobacco.

I will add one thing... As good as FVF is with some age on it, do yourselves a favor and try to get some SG Best Brown Flake if you haven't tried it already.... FVF gets all the hype but IMHO Best Brown is just as good if not better of a smoke. With some age, Best Brown is a hard flake to beat.. Just saying

taharris":cuop5v8r said:
And Dunhill Flake. No one ever talks about Dunhill flake, but it is a wonderful smoke.

Todd
Agreed - light hay and sweet grass when you open the tin. Great room note.

Agreed - light hay and sweet grass when you open the tin. Great room note.
I've never tried Dunhill Flake, but this is exactly how I would describe Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake. I'll have to try the Dunhill someday.

Taking nothing from the PS, the Dunhill is a lighter and classier smoke, IMO.

taharris":dmttapru said:
And Dunhill Flake. No one ever talks about Dunhill flake, but it is a wonderful smoke.

Todd

Thumbs Up on this comment. I really like the Dunhill and am currently aging some tins.

Bill

Yesterday I too tried some FVF for the first time, and I REALLY like it.

I would like to order a tin or two, as the last of the sample I had is burning at this very moment.

I am currently searching on line, but so far I cannot find any availiable.

How do you get your hands on this? is it a seasonal thing? Do I have to wait till next year?
Help !

DustyRoundup":2fmcnm7z said:
Yesterday I too tried some FVF for the first time, and I REALLY like it.

I would like to order a tin or two, as the last of the sample I had is burning at this very moment.

I am currently searching on line, but so far I cannot find any availiable.

How do you get your hands on this? is it a seasonal thing? Do I have to wait till next year?
Help !
Once in a while the online retailers get some in but it'll go very quickly. Usually someone will post here letting us know that ______ has some in stock then it's like a feeding frenzy until it's all gone. Other than that you might get lucky and come across a B&M that has some in stock.

Gawith stuff has been difficult to obtain the past few years.

We have an abundant supply up here in Canada however our government taxes the hell out tobacco making it around $25-30 a tin. If any BoB members are really in a bind for SG send me a PM and I would more than happy to pick some up if you are willing to pay the price!

When I think of flake tobacco, I think of an advanced tobacco for the pipe smoker, which offers some additional challenges, but challenges that are well worth the effort and learning curve. :)

um? Thanks Jacko.
I really liked it , but geez, :( thats kinda spendy.
I lived in Blackfalds/Lacombe area in AB for a year once, and I know what you mean about your Tobacco prices.
Thanks for the offer though.

Shane, thanks for the info,, I will be keeping an eye out I guess.
No wonder its so hard to find, everybody loves it.

I like FVF, but it isn't my favorite. I find it a bit harsh, and completely dried, it loses it's flavor to me. My standbys are the Rattray Va's Old Gowrie, HOTW, and Marlin Flake. I couldn't smoke Va's for a long time, until I learned to just dry them out a bit, but not too much. OGS and Dunhill Flake I don't smoke as they have an obvious sweetener on them, which I don't like.