First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Bought this one based on online reviews and its reputation as one of the best selling pipe tobaccos in the world. Fired up a bowl this morning, and thoroughly enjoyed myself! :D

I was smoking a 90's Canadian-made Brigham 2-dot billiard, and experienced none of the dreaded tongue-bite MacBaren is famous for. Dumb luck? The Brigham rock maple filter? Who knows, and I'm not gonna argue!

The tobacco came out of the tin at just about the right moisture content, and packed easily into the Brig. Burned well for me, though I found it needed a bit of attention along the way. I was rather eager to get the pipe going though, so I'm sure it wasn't the perfect pack to begin with. :oops:

I found the opening quarter of the bowl a bit on the "black pepper" side of things, but the flavours kind of "opened up" as I got further into the bowl. I'm not sure of the accuracy of my palate or my ability to describe smoke flavours, but it struck me overall as a well-balanced woodsy, leathery, great-with-a-good-whiskey, with a touch of peppery spice blend that left no objectionable feelings, only a light, clean tobacco aftertaste and classic pipe satisfaction.

Very glad I pulled the trigger on this one!

Good to read your impressions. I used to smoke this often in the late '70s into the '80s and always enjoyed it, I suppose I should order some now.

I've smoked many Mac B blends over the years and frankly never had the tongue-bite experience one is always reading about. Personally I think it's mostly due to the blend being too damp or improper packing and/or smoking habits, but maybe I'm just lucky.

I have played with a couple of Mac Baren's stuffs, and have not to date experienced the dreaded 'bite'. That Scottish mixture sounds like fun though,.....

So far from Plumcake, Mixture Modern to Mixture Scottish, I have enjoyed every Mac Baren classic that I have tried. Each of them are a solid representation of tobaccos with a good balance between natural flavor and light aromatic qualities. Pleasant room notes abound, wife approved..

Scottish Blend is one of the few aromatics that I smoke. Love the bit of sweetness it leaves on my lips. Good tobacco!

DrumsAndBeer":x8s2ogjb said:
So far from Plumcake, Mixture Modern to Mixture Scottish, I have enjoyed every Mac Baren classic that I have tried. Each of them are a solid representation of tobaccos with a good balance between natural flavor and light aromatic qualities. Pleasant room notes abound, wife approved..
WOAH! Dude, nice new Avatar!!

Thanks for the review. I may have to give this one a try. :)

AJ

One of my old time favorites. Should probably revisit it. Ed Burak, of Connoisseur Pipe fame in New York had a house blend that was very similar, if not identical. He used to include it as a freebie with every pipe purchased. The blend, in my opinion, is a seductive one if you can tolerate any aromatic qualities at all. Smells and tastes damn good.

I was a believer in MacBurns ability to bite early on but now I think it comes down to technique and trying to get more out of the tobacco then is there. Now I think generally MacBarens can be smoked with or without bite. It's up to you. Love your write up. Never tried this one. Enjoy it.

juanmedusa":4nfqxdpr said:
I was a believer in MacBurns ability to bite early on but now I think it comes down to technique and trying to get more out of the tobacco then is there.  Now I think generally MacBarens can be smoked with or without bite. It's up to you.  Love your write up. Never tried this one. Enjoy it.
Thanks for the kind words, juanmedusa. I was a bit nervous buying the Scottish Mixture, as I had no real idea of what to expect when I opened the tin. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I'm glad I ventured. I found the Scottish Mixture a surprisingly mild smoke with a nice full tobacco flavor and a good head of smoke for those who like to amuse themselves with smoke rings :D I guess it's technically an aromatic blend, but I'd be hard pressed to identify the flavorings. Very light casing, imho, with enough honest tobacco behind it to give it body and life.

...I've enjoyed several of the MacBaren tobaccos over the years and keep a substantial amount of Scottish Mixture, Golden Extra, Virginia #1, Matured Virginia, Plumcake, and Vintage Syrian. I quite like the Scottish Mixture and find it to be a first rate representation of a light aromatic...Like some, I almost never experience tongue bite and MacBaren is one of the few manufacturers to maintain consistency in their tobaccos.

One of my favorites, but I find very little difference between the flake and ready rubbed versions. Love the mildly sweat flavor, and the room note is just right. Not way sweet, but not cigarette-like. Just pipe-like.

I like SB, but it bites me something fierce. I don't usually have the MacB bite/burn problems that seem to plague some folks, and no matter how low and slow (or how I pack) the blend, I can feel that "sting" after five minutes or less. It's a shame, but it might be the only blend that I WANT to smoke, but just can't.

Blends that seem to be a bit bitey to me I have started clenching. It keeps the pipe lit and I take much fewer puffs in-between the little smoke I end up breathing keeping the pipe in my mouth the entire bowl. Seriously, if you're a pipe in hand guy this might help. It takes a while to get the hang of it but it's paid off for me. When you smoke your first bowl without once taking the pipe out of your mouth you'll be well rewarded. Tip; start with a cob.