First trip to Boswell's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JASmith

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm fortunate enough to live roughly 50 miles from Boswell's Pipes and Cigars, so I decided to pack up the wife and jump in my truck to head over today...Found the place rather easily, as it's right on route 30-nearly a straight shot from where I live. I have to say that it won't be my last trip there; the place is fantastic! The smell that greats you when you open the door is enough to warrant the trip...Dan Boswell was right inside the door, blending some tobacco for a fellow standing there, and was very helpful, as was the other fellow that helped us out. I got to peruse all of the pipes on display, and smell pretty much all of the blends that they had on hand..I explained that I am interested in the English blends, and got to try a sample of Northwoods, which is excellent-my guess is that it would go great with a nice Scotch...Picked up 3 1 oz. bags of tobacco, Piper's Pleasure(which I'm smoking now), Berry Cobbler, and Countryside. I highly recommend paying a visit to the place if you're in the area...
Take Care, All.
Jason

Glad you had a good time. Nice folks that provide a very welcoming atmosphere that's filled with plenty of good pipes and tobak. Gotta get there again this year, myself.

It is really a wonderful shop to visit and smoke. Try some Magnum Blend the next time around, after sampling Countryside and Northwoods, I settled on it as my regular smoke.

Some of us are getting together there on March 24th. If you are available, drop by, it is always great to meet a fellow board brother (or sister).

Yeah I haven't been to a tobacco shop where I felt more welcome, and my Boswell pipe is turning out to be one of my best smokers.

Wish I lived close like some of you guys. I am a huge fan of Northwoods...yummm

Visiting Boswell's is on my list of things to do in the near future. I also wanted to visit Demuth's in Lancaster, but I guess it's defunct or out of commission, probably permanently. Too bad. It was the oldest pipe shop in the U.S., unless I'm mistaken. It's older than our country is! I visited once in the 1980s, and it didn't look too healthy even then. I am surprised it lasted until recently. My interest lies in the availability of Jake Hackert's pipes. They were featured at Demuth's, I am told, by various sources.

Richard Burley":8709s3tf said:
Visiting Boswell's is on my list of things to do in the near future. I also wanted to visit Demuth's in Lancaster, but I guess it's defunct or out of commission, probably permanently. Too bad. It was the oldest pipe shop in the U.S., unless I'm mistaken. It's older than our country is! I visited once in the 1980s, and it didn't look too healthy even then. I am surprised it lasted until recently. My interest lies in the availability of Jake Hackert's pipes. They were featured at Demuth's, I am told, by various sources.
Demuths is closed, I tried to call them last week, phone has been disconnected. A member from another board, who lives nearby says the shop is still full of inventory, some kind of family dispute keeps it closed.

Wingenroths in nearby Lancaster usually has several Jake Hackert pipes for sales, usually right at $100.

Mr. Riff Raff, above: thanks for the info. I haven't been on a pipe journey in years, and these shops are in my "neighborhood." Not much here in Rochester, other than cigar parlors.

Richard Burley":owdwn9b3 said:
Mr. Riff Raff, above: thanks for the info. I haven't been on a pipe journey in years, and these shops are in my "neighborhood." Not much here in Rochester, other than cigar parlors.
Mel at Wingenroths is a great guy, but doesn't do internet sales. I"ll give you a shout and some pix the next time I stop by.

riff raff":djy70cea said:
Richard Burley":djy70cea said:
Mel at Wingenroths is a great guy, but doesn't do internet sales. I"ll give you a shout and some pix the next time I stop by.
Hey. Mel is on YouTube. Cool. I was once in a pipe shop in Lebanon. Wonder if it was Wingenroth's? Seems like it was on the main drag, though. :scratch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-waZkEYUn4