Fixing Drinkless Kaywoodie

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frnkfrnkbass

Reaction score
I recently bought a couple of estate Kaywoodies. The drinkess systems are not the shiny metal that they should be, but dull worn metal. Is this something I should be worried about. Is there some where that can recoat the metal? Some one please help me.

I believe the stingers are aluminum, I wouldn't worry about recoating them. A good polish with some rubbing compound should shine them back up.

A very little bit of polishing compound on some paper towel will shine it right up to like new condition. I have used Brebia pipe polish, brasso, nevrdul, Walkers de oxidizer: all with very good results. Be sure that the flat plate where the stinger emerges is clean as well. It will ensure a better fit when the pipe is assembled.

I recently acquired a kaywoodie Flame grain meerschaum lined 4 hole stinger, in pretty bad shape from a flea market for a dollar and the collar that screws into the shank was stuck to the end of the drinkless attachment, after unscrewing the stinger, and the jammed collar from the stem I soaked the metal in everclear for 2 days. Finally it came loose. then I used a stiff bristled toothbrush dipped in more alcohol to clean the remaining tar and nicotine buildup, Then used a dremel with a small buffing wheel loaded with white diamond to buff it all to a mirror shine. If you do it with the stinger atacched to the stem use caution not to hit the stem with the buffing wheel. I first tried this on a junk 600 and burnt the stem with the wheel I dont think the 3 hole stingers unscrewed from the stem so they could be removed.(please correct me if im wrong)

That stinger can be cut off and a counter sink bit used to touch up the opening so that not as much moisture is condensed from the smoke stream. Just a thought.

I haven't tried it with a Kaywoodie stinger yet, but I found that the Brebbia stem polish works miracles with old Falcon stems (also aluminum). You might want to give that a try. No buffing required.