Flake Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talrmn35

Reaction score
Ok, I looked and didn't see this as a topic yet (I didn't look that hard I admit). What is your favorite pipe for smoking Flake in :?: :?:

As of right now they're a Savinelli Bing's Favorite, and a Savinelli Lolita. I'm trying to get my hands on a Castello pot

I've got a Rinaldo Old Friend dedicated to flakes. (Escudo and Brebbia Latakia Flake as of late)

Matt

I love both my Savinelli 623 and my Stanwell 63M, both have relatively small conical bowls and burn flakes like nothing! I don't clench my pipes in my teeth, especially seeing that these two aren't very light, but i do enjoy the nice tactile feel of a pipe. Maybe down the road I'll get a featherweight or something and try my hand, or rather teeth, at clenching; but for now I like my chunky pipes!

For hard flakes like FVF, a GBD New Era billiard. For soft flakes like Union Square, a Pietenpauw Rhodesian.

my favorite flake pipe would either be a Comoy Tiger Eye 604 semi-bent dublin shape.
or a Savinelli Baronet 320ex rusticated squat tomato.
Ive noticed the big bowl of the savinelli is perfect for flakes (or maybe out of all my pipes, it takes flakes the best)
-and the comoy has a smaller bowl, but smokes very very good regardless of what you put in it.

BTW.. not to derail the thread but anyone know anything about G&H Bob's chocolate flake ???!
I wanna give this a try and they have it in bulk on smokingpipes.com

greasemunki85":mpfjkbw7 said:
BTW.. not to derail the thread but anyone know anything about G&H Bob's chocolate flake ???!
I wanna give this a try and they have it in bulk on smokingpipes.com
I like it--a lot. It definitely does have a cocoa taste, but it's not exactly an aromatic. You can get bulks from smokingpipes in as little as an ounce, well worth a try I'd say.

I've got a Cavicchi squat tomato lovat that fairly hums when fed flake. Don't know why,,,hyped as a "flake pipe" I guess they knew what they were talking about,,,,

Chamber diameter = 3/4" to 13/16" and roughly as tall as wide.

IOW, bent bulldog, Rhodesian, apple, prince, &c. (Although the right billiard can be a treat with flakes too).

:face:

Here's an interesting Mario Grandi that I'd suspect would be an awesome flake pipe. I'd buy it myself but recently went through a nice chunk of change in the name of PAD and TAD.
It's a bit unlike anything I've seen of him, this one's very small, not a thing like his nearly giant regulars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Briar-smoking-pipe-Mario-Grandi-New-/190492426068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5a3bbf54

I'd love to see what you brothers think, maybe one of you will even give it a nice new home, haha.

Ooh, that pipe looks awfully tempting! 8)

I want to satisfy my PAD, but I'll resist.

Pretty good. IMO. Increase the height or the diameter, taper the chamber &c. and complications ensue.

:face:

I would load big size pipes only with flakes. Having say that, flakes used to be my preferred cut but now I am really finding pressed tobacco to be the most satifying.

I've just now posted on "what are you smoking right now" about my joy with Irish Flake in the Davidoff Lovat Cognac. I think this pipe was made for flakes! Should I dedicate it to that kind of tobacco? I've never smoked anything so delicious before. Can it be true that a pipe and tobacco fit each other?

This Stanwell of mine is perfect for flakes. I've tried smoking them in wider bowled pipes, but nothing delivers the balanced flavor like this one...

Stanwell1.jpg

Stanwell2.jpg

MisterE":a4i7prfr said:
All of em, except a Stanwell I keep for Latakia blends. This is probably my least used pipe...
Man after my own heart. I particularly like a large bowl o' flake while watching a football or hockey game. Pretty much lasts for the whole affair.

Buddy