Flake Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob the coldblooded

Reaction score
Hey guys, i was thinking about trying flake tobacco and was hoping to get a few suggestions.

Leave a review with your recommendation if you've got the time!
Thanks guys!

I'm a fan of Marlin Flake by Rattray.

It is a blend of Black Cavendish, Virginia and Perique. Comes a little moist straight from the tin so give it some drying time. Burns nicely, not too hot, no bite, and leaves a fine white ash. I have yet to have any dottle in the bottom of the bowl with this tobacco.

I would describe this as a mild smoke, no Vitamin N kick, and a pleasant room note that won't drive your non smoking friends out of the house.

My fave 5 are:
McClelland's Fragrant Matured 2000 - sweet/tangy Red Va in a broken flake, bulk. VERY NICE
McClelland's Blackwoods Flake - sweet/smoky Red Va in a broken flake, tinned, Another GREAT McC Va.
Orlik Golden Sliced - Bright Va's in a full flake, tinned. A GREAT Va with some Perique for spice.
Dunhill Flake - Golden bright Va in a full flake, tinned. One of the smoothest pure Va flakes available
Erinmore Flake - Bright va's w/Burley, tinned. A sweet tangy Va that is a good all day Va.
These are the flakes I consume on a regular basis, others will add to your list for sure! :twisted:

McClelland's Christmas Cheer- You will find each year slightly different, but essentially the same. I have more Christmas Cheer tinned in my cellar than any other tobacco.

This excerpt taken from the liner included in the tin-

The 2012 blend is made with a special selection of deep orange, ripe flue-cured Virginia from the 2008 crop grown near Stantonsburg, NC. Rich in oil, intense in color, this is prime, sun-dappled leaf ready to age remarkably well in the tin. Each buying season, we look for tobaccos of exceptional quality and distinctive character. In various combinations, their flavors, aromas, textures contribute to the overall excellence of all our products. The leaves of different crops and regions are combined to maintain consistency from year to year. With Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco, we treat our discriminating customers to the singular pleasure of tasting of the very finest in tobaccos of a particular vintage ,not worrying about maintaining the flavor and appearance of this product into future years, but actually striving instead to present the unique character of a single crop and area.

MacBaren Navy Flake-

A mild flake blended from the finest Burley tobaccos with added ripe Virginias and Cavendish. Navy Flake is light burning, making the lighting of the pipe very easy.

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake-

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake is for lovers of pure pressed Virginias. Created in the heart of Lakeland, the hot-pressed blended Virginias take on a delicious and distinctive dark colour that creates a pipe smokers dream, a feeling of calm, serenity and anticipation of the next pipeful. A "must have" for all Virginia lovers. Medium strength.

Esoterica Penzance-

A wonderful complex secret recipe of the finest Virginia, choice Turkish and Orientals and Cyprian Latakia, all hand blended together, hard pressed and broad cut into thick flakes. Long matured and easily crumbled to facilitate pipe filling.

MacBaren Old Dark Fired-

A bold flake of dark-fired burleys in a well balanced unity with Flue-cured Virginias. This flake is Hot Pressed, meaning that during the pressing, heat is added by steam to the tobaccos which causes the tobacco to intensify the marrying process giving us a bolder tobacco. The robust, earthly flavour of the dark-fired burleys shines through in the taste, and you will experience a deeply satisfying smoke indeed.

GLP Embarcadero - subtle, picky, one of the most unique tobaccos I've ever had.

GLP Union Square - honest, simple, wild/natural tasting without a fuss.

C&D Star of the East - Penzance alternative, tastes better, easier to get.

Solani 660 Silver Flake - Complex, dynamic, nutty, a tad spicy and always just-right.

Frosted - They're GRRRRREAT!

Jacob the coldblooded":tvyu1ppz said:
Hey guys, i was thinking about trying flake tobacco and was hoping to get a few suggestions.
That's a pretty broad question, considering the diversity in flake blends around. VA, VA/Per, Latakia or not, burley?...

Ask for a sample of GH&Co. brown flake (unscented). Virginia and burley. Sweet but not overly so. The slower you smoke it the better the flavor comes through. It will do a fine job of teaching you to smoke gently because once you get a taste of it when it's just smouldering you find some real magic. Especially after a year to eighteen months in a jar. It hasn't bitten me but if you smoke too fast the flavor fades until you slow back down. Way down. It's a medium bodied, light flavored smoke and doesn't like to bite but I suppose you could make it happen.

If they won't send a sample, spring for an ounce. It's good.

Erinmore Flake
C&D Star of the east flake (it's a broken flake)

My favorite flakes are:

Esoterica Penzance

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired (this is better than Stonehaven IMO but shhh keep it a secret)

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

Charles Fairmorn Lancer's Slices

Dan Tobacco Old Ironsides

The slower you smoke it the better the flavor comes through. It will do a fine job of teaching you to smoke gently because once you get a taste of it when it's just smouldering you find some real magic. Especially after a year to eighteen months in a jar . . . if you smoke too fast the flavor fades until you slow back down. Way down.
THIS.

With FVF, two years = minimum ; 5 years = optimum (10 years ultraoptimum).

Embarcadero = brand new = Great (possibly, best ?).

:face:

My favourite flake has lately been Solani Aged Burley Flake. Has a soft, nutty taste. Sweet but not too much. Cube it for a taste that has gotten me totally hooked. Goes well with coffee.

And I love the Solani Silver Flake too. SG Best Brown flake. (Capstan, of course, too).

Most of my favs seem to be flakes. :scratch:

This is my first forum and i'm hooked! You all are wicked helpful! I've already learned so much from all of your collective experience, thanks to everyone!

+1 for Solani 660 and ABF. Both of these are IMHO the best in their class. Another one of my favorites is Renier Long Golden Flake. Silver Flake and LGF both sweeten up nicely in a year's time. I can only imagine how excellent these will be in 3-5 year range. But unfortunately I can't keep either around that long.

alfredo_buscatti":bol9kpvq said:
Do you do your own frosting?
"Cereal bloom"--lookit those crystals! :lol:

Pondering the concept of "ultraoptimum." :albino: Nice.

Havin' some Erinmore right now. Might have to add that to the list.

8)

I am a total flake whore and have been for a while. My favorite method for preparation is the cube cut, I find it burns great and the flavors shine. Here is my current rotation of favorite flakes. The TR next to the name means tin ready, i.e ready to smoke out of the tin with no additional drying required.

Virginia Flakes:
Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug
Fribourg and Treyer Vintage
Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake
Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR
Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR
Wessex Gold Brick
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake
Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake
Hamborger Veermaster
Dunhill Flake TR
Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR