Flake vs Ribbon cut

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
I have noticed some brands have blends that come in both flake and ribbon or loose cut.

Does this effect the flavor any or is it just to cator to different tastes in how one likes thier tobacco presented?

I have wondering this myself. I've been meaning to get a tobacco in both styles (flake and ribbon, or in the case of GL Pease's Jacknife Plug, plug and ribbon) and try them both to detect any differences. That being said, I haven't gotten around to it, so if anyone else has, speak and be heard.

Tobacco can come in a bunch of configurations. I would say that the pack effects the flavor for me, and you'll see this with others that prefer to rub out flakes/coins/rope. If you simply fold and pack a flake, you are dealing with a very dense pack of tobacco, in a different way then if you simply tamped the heck out of ribbon cut in the bowl. There are probably as many thoughts on this as there are smokers, and there is a simple solution. Try flakes in a variety of packing techniques, and find what works for you. All tobacco can be broken all the way down to crumble/small cut that will allow you to follow your standard packing technique. Coins and Flakes can folded and packed or rubbed out. Plugs can be cut into slices then packed similar to flakes or rubbed out. Rope can be treated like coins or rubbed out. And this goes on. Experiment and enjoy!

calipuffer":43h5aqdv said:
Tobacco can come in a bunch of configurations. I would say that the pack effects the flavor for me, and you'll see this with others that prefer to rub out flakes/coins/rope. If you simply fold and pack a flake, you are dealing with a very dense pack of tobacco, in a different way then if you simply tamped the heck out of ribbon cut in the bowl. There are probably as many thoughts on this as there are smokers, and there is a simple solution. Try flakes in a variety of packing techniques, and find what works for you. All tobacco can be broken all the way down to crumble/small cut that will allow you to follow your standard packing technique. Coins and Flakes can folded and packed or rubbed out. Plugs can be cut into slices then packed similar to flakes or rubbed out. Rope can be treated like coins or rubbed out. And this goes on. Experiment and enjoy!
Great post, I needed that. 8)

Calipuffer Is correct in that different packing of the same tobacco will yield different nuance in both taste and burn rate. The cool thing about flakes is that you have control over how fast/slow of a burn you want and also the flavor of most seems to be bolder and more in your face when rubbed out fully as opposed to folded and stuffed... IMO most flakes give a completely different performance rubbed out vs. folded and stuffed.

To answer the other part of the question: ive spent the last few days smoking quite a bit of McConnell's Scottish flake... Getting to know it rubbed out as well as partially rubbed out and folded and stuffed... Then I smoked a few bowls of McConnell's Scottish CAKE which is a ready rubbed version of the same tobacco. They are close enough to be enjoyed somewhat interchangeably, yet different enough to stock up on both IMHO

That makes alot of sense. Essentially the difference would be not in the quality of the tobacco or the "flavor" added during manufacture but in the different techniques one can use to smoke it (rub, cut, fold, pack, etc.) which in and of itself can cause nuances in the tobacco to come out.

And to expand on all that, every pipe will also deliver a different component to the overall taste/burn/etc.

The journey lies in finding out what works best in what!

:face:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":jaur7gbp said:
And to expand on all that, every pipe will also deliver a different component to the overall taste/burn/etc.

The journey lies in finding out what works best in what!

:face:

Cheers,

RR
So true, so true!! Part of what makes this hobby so fun is it not? I have Mac Baren's Vanilla Creme in both ribbon and flake. Ended up deciding that at least for that blend, the pipe made more difference than the cut style.

Cut style can make a difference in burn rate and taste. I find I prefer ribbons as I almost always end up rubbing out flakes. When I fold and stuff them (as McClelland recommends) I always end up having to do a lot of relights.

Smokey

I wish there were more tobaccos that came in both versions. I've always imagined a plug/flake EMP or Nightcap. GLP Meridian Kake? Oriental/Lat flakes be tasty. How 'bout a two foot log of Escudo or Bullseye just for yourself? You could slice it like salami....

I know that some plug versions of the SG stuff can be had in Europe. I think Cheval Noir posted a link to some place that had FVF plugs. Eye-wateringly expensive though.

Ribbon cut will burn faster where as a chunkier baccy will smoke slower, even when rubbed out, though this would certainly be the case with a fold and stuff flake.

It strikes me that a thicker would be preferrable in blends that might otherwise burn on the hotter side. With that in mind, I wonder why we don't see aromatics in plug or flake form. I don't think I can think of a single one. I don;t know of a single aro crumble kake for that matter either.

Storm_Crow":2gom8xwa said:
With that in mind, I wonder why we don't see aromatics in plug or flake form. I don't think I can think of a single one. I don;t know of a single aro crumble kake for that matter either.
Mac Baren's Vanilla Creme comes in a flake version. Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew is a "pre-rubbed" or broken flake.

I had tried a tin of C&D's Star of the East. It came as a flake. I liked it as a substitute for Penzance, so I ordered a pound of bulk. The bulk came rubbed out to a ribbon.
I don't know if it was the difference in the pack or the cut, but I only ordere the tins now as I find the smoke much more enjoyable.