flakes better in certain pipe styles

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mw306

Reaction score
Having never smoked flakes before and just purchased some Escudo, I was wondering
if they smoke better or easier in certain bowl styles?

I prefer thick rhodesian or bulldog style pipes with conical chambers of around 3/4" internal diameter. They seem to smoke perfectly with flakes.

My fave flake pipe:

My preferences for flake pipes include those with thick walls such as apples, balls and bulldogs. Sometimes I get a little over zealous when trying to fire up a flake and the thicker briar absorbs the extra heat. And I prefer a pipe that has cylindrical walls so there is no compression of the tobacco toward the bottom of the bowl when loading a folded flake. Also I prefer a bowl diameter of 19mm to 21mm or 3/4" to 13/16".

Jim...my ha'pence

I haven't ever really bothered to measure so can't give you exacty numbers, but with Escudo's coin shaped disc like flakes I find that I prefer slightly shallower and skinnier conical bowls such that one or perhaps two coins, folded once and stuck in vertically (side by side if two coins) fill up the bowl, with perhaps a small bit sticking out of the rim to press down and snug up the pack. My Yakslon Rhodesian is such a pipe as is my Stanwell 191, one Escudo coin fills up the Yakslon with a perfect pack. For typical rectanglarish flakes (Orlik Golden sliced for example) I like a deeper bowl (but still not super wide) such that a flake or two folded once horizontally and once vertically will slide down into the bowl completely and provide a slightly looser pack than I use with the Escudo coins. I had a Luciano Cherrywood that had this sort of bowl and made for a good flake smoker, although I traded it away. A Stanwell 63 and 30 also seem to me to fit the bill for these sort of flakes.

I've been getting more into flakes a bit lately. Thicker-walled pipes smoke better, in this case, for me. Plus, I use a DH 3 or 4-sized bowl. Flakes smoke well in my big pipes, but better in sometning slightly smaller. FWIW FTRPLT

thanks guys. I thought they might smoke better in a thicker walled pipe.

When I smoke flakes, I like a short, wider bowl with thick walls. I am smoking FVF right now in a paneled Ferndown Rhodesian, which works quite well; like bulldogs, they have thicker walls than my billiards.

I'm with Tim H here....... wide and shallow with thick walls, that works for me!

Piet Binsbergen":qmgnvjsl said:
I'm with Tim H here....... wide and shallow with thick walls, that works for me!
+1 on fat Rhodesians and Bulldogs!