Flakes, Cakes Or Everything Else?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
make mine a flake, please! I personally think there is a magic that takes place with pressing! in fact this gives me an idea for a new thread!

vaperfavour":vp47o4dc said:
make mine a flake, please! I personally think there is a magic that takes place with pressing! in fact this gives me an idea for a new thread!
Adding some heat completes the magic IMO.

Ok. I voted flake. But that covers a lot of room.

I love the Gawith flakes. Even with all the seemingly odd toppings/casings/etc, I have never had a bad flake from them. Something about that steam cooking process makes them delicious.

McClelland has the flake thing down pat also. Not cooked as long as the Gawith flakes. Certainly weaker than the Gawith flakes. Wish they would do some stronger blends. But still good.

The only C&D flake I really like is Bayou Morning Flake. All the tins I have had open of BMF, were that rough looking, thick cut, black and brown, half sticky flakes wrapped in paper. I am hoping that it hasn't changed. It smokes wonderfully for me. I tried to like their new narrow cut flakes. But I just cannot bring myself to say it. They are crumbly and uncooked in appearance. I like several of the blends, but I wish they would cut it more like Billy Budd instead of that narrow flake. Not trying to slam them. And I know that same narrow flake type stuff is used in some GL Pease blends. But I much prefer if it was cooked and pressed longer, or cut differently.

Flakes for sure! I'm with Carlos, the Gawith flakes (both SG and GH&co) are fantastic, as are the virginia flakes coming from Kohlhase & Kopp. The C&D (and thus also GL Pease) flakes seem really to be more of a cut cake, but they are very, very well made too, much better now than the early versions.

I'm in the flake camp as well, FVF and Fillmore are on the top of the list. The other day I opened up a 2 year old tin of FVF, I was amazed at what 2 years in the tin had done, the aroma was thick and rich, I had all I could do to resist plating it and eating it like a fine Porterhouse steak. The first three bowls have almost ruined me for anything else...

I voted ribbon simply because two out of my three favorite blends are ribbon with the third being a flake which rubs out nicely to a ribbon.

I was probably more of a flake blend type of person until I started trying out and really enjoying some of the cake type of blends such as Pirate cake, Captain Earle's Honor Blend, Krumble Kake, Plumb Pudding and some of the Hermit blends.

I selected ribbon as that seems to be how most of my tobaccos are cut. That said, I thoroughly enjoy flakes & cakes when I find ones that I like. I truly enjoy shag and cube-cut tobaccos; just have trouble finding any in the English/Balkan/Oriental blends I smoke. Bertram's had several cube/shag-cut tobaccos that I absolutely adored; of course, those days are long gone :( :pipe: FTRPLT

i have to say my Favorite is flake i smoke alot PS LNF and peterson irish flake and fvf and C&D exhausted rooster they are some good stuff

Just taking stock of the "cellar" makes the choice obvious for me, I have more flake tobaccos than all the other cuts put together!

I voted ribbon, you'd think that after all these years I would have developed some skill smoking flakes. For some reason I always seem the wrestle with them, can never get an even consistent burn.

kirbyb":6lu0pf8x said:
I voted ribbon, you'd think that after all these years I would have developed some skill smoking flakes. For some reason I always seem the wrestle with them, can never get an even consistent burn.
When I do smoke a flake, I rub it out completely. They seem to work well that way for me.

I voted flake, but I find it hard to justify. Most of the blends I like are not in flake form, and there are many flakes I don't like. But I like the preparation ritual that goes with them, so that's my vote.

First, as I am new to this Forum and this is my first posting, I would like to express my appreciation to all who had a part in the creation and maintnance of Brothers of Briar. Very nice work indeed.

Flakes (and plugs) are my decided preference, with Samuel Gawith FVF, Best Brown Flake, Cob Plug and Peter Stokkebye's LNF my current favorites, although I readily admit that I enjoy the more than occasional bowl of Lancer Slices and Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake.

always seem to wrestle with the flakes,,,tough to enjoy when frustrated,,,,

Flakes are sure handy, easy to carry and easy to pack for me. PS Luxury Twist, McB Navy Flake and Glengarry flakes make up the most of my flake smokes along with a few others. I also enjoy the other cuts except for shags. Can't seem to get a handle on packing them right.

Jim