Flash review: Silver Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishfuzz

Reaction score
At the encouragement of Drum, after trying Aged Burley, I moved on to Silver Flake. This is the third bowl in a new Washington cob, so I am adjusting expectations accordingly.

I grabbed a large punch, folded it in half and stuffed it tightly into the bowl, finishing with a thumb twist.

First draw was darker than I expected (compared to the Aged Burley last night in the same pipe). Subsequent pulls have mellowed the flavor greatly - a buttery sweetness with a tiny bit of yeast in the mouth with a hint of lemon and spice in the room note. Extremely easy to sip, and while I can tell I will need a relight, it is burning smoothly.

Relight brings back the darker flavor again, but only until the heat dies down, then it's right back to the fresh browned butter and sugar. Don't get me wrong, it isn't an overpowering flavor like one expect from an aro, but a great balance of mild smoke.

Need to slow down a touch now, as the flavor is turning darker, and the cob is getting much warmer. ;)

Thanks to Drum for the great sample. Another one for the TAD list.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Solani products are under-rated, imo. Silver flake is really something special. It lacks topping and casing (which I prefer), and does not lack complexity.
My only complaint about silver flake is the packaging, it is almost sinful.

Bill

billmess":a2mlux3j said:
Solani products are under-rated, imo. Silver flake is really something special. It lacks topping and casing (which I prefer), and does not lack complexity.

Bill
Yes, note this. When you get your Silver Flake open the tin and immeadiately put the contents in a jar. For whatever reason Solani does not seal this baccy. It's literally sitting in a hinged tin wrapped in cellophane sans any kind of vacuum seal.

Nice review Fish..

Thanks for the great "flash" review!

Solani 660 silver flake is a wonderful VA/KY flake. Not too sweet and more than a little spicy.

billmess":h6nkhx1r said:

Bill
It actually DOES have a topping... Whiskey! It's not over-done but it's there. I opened a jar that was four or five years old and holy hell! That's one seriously sweet aroma!

Of course, just about every tobacco has some sort of casing

I have to agree on the packaging, it's kind of unusual to have a hinged lid tin for pipe tobacco but it's a fine flake for sure. Solani makes some exceptionally fine blends and flakes, great stuff.

As we indulgently enable one another... :lol:

...good notes, Fuzz. 8)