Flash Review: Symphony

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishfuzz

Reaction score
Did I mention Ocelot sent me a cubic ton of samples to try? Mac Barren Symphony is yet another. In the tin, this is a broken flake tobacco with Burley, Cavemdish, and Virginia. The tin scent isnt terribly remarkable, with hints if hay and a slight sweetness. The tobacco crumbles easily, and I gravity fed and packed it into my Nirding for this evening.

First light revealed this is a slow sipper. Big plumes of smoke will net you a hot pipe and subsequently burned mouth. By slowing down the pulls, the flavors start to shine through with hints of chocolate and hay, with a hint of sweetness and spice. The smoke, when puffed slowly, is cool and creamy.

Room note is sweet and tinted ever so slightly with chocolate and rum.

On relight, it was extremely easy to get the heat rolling too fast again. But by backing off the draw produces a wonderful flavor and balance. This is not a blend to rush, but a rather a blend to slow you down, take it in slowly, and relax. A new smoker of Symphony, one not forewarned about the tendencies of this tobacco, might find it completely hateful. I rather enjoy it.

Thanks Ocelot!

I'm glad you enjoy that one, Fish, because you've got a full 100g of it. I really enjoyed the flavour of Symphony, but couldn't get over the bite no matter how slowly I smoked it. I'm glad its treating you a little nicer.

I don't think I am saying anything new when I say that some of MacBaren's tobaccos are flamethrowers. Their Navy Flake was tolerable but bit pretty good when pushed. I literally could not smoke Virginia No. 1. which for me was a total barn burner that zinged my tongue on charring light.

I have good luck with MacBaren tobacco. Good notes, FF. I'm glad someone else is logging their experiences here...especially in short format (as opposed to my method... :lol: )

8)

Symphony has been one of my personal favorites since I was in college in the late 60's. Meant to be sipped & savored to reveal its delicious nature!
Glen

My experience with McB blends has been a mixed bag. Some bit no matter what I did and some did not.

Good review FF.

Nice commentary. I think Symphony is one of the best MacBaren do (though I don't like many of them).