FLAVOR TOWN

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefBull

Reaction score
Well, went to my shop today and my guy "Jack" introduced me to 'Red Cake' [McCullins? dist.] Red Virginia. I'm 70 years young but my oh my! very very pleasant. I have always favored Cube Cut Burley and an English [consequently I'm a bit narrowed] but this was my first bowl of a Virginia. Quirkless is the best way to describe it, a deep rusty red an string cut. Well I guess one is never to old to learn. Now, I've got to get a good humidor and lay in about 8ozs.
Think I'll look at Cube Cut an RedCake and see if I can get folks introduced in some ratio and have'em get familiar with each other. Oh yes! and also bought a Peterson Calabash; started break in with the Red Cake. Lovely and sweet, not cloying just a slight sweet honey finish. I can see why some guys don't smoke anything else. Anybody got any suggestions here.
As for what Santa smokes in his Pipe?
Well............. since he's probably of Nordic variation either old high German or Dutch originally I would think either a Troost or a good Cavendish.
But then.....Saint Nicholas was originally a Bishop in Palmyra Anatolia [modern day Turkey] so it may as well have been some Latakia form neighboring Syria, a little fire at those high altitudes in those cold northern climes.
But then Saint Nicholas is also "the Patron Saint of Sailors" so it could a easily have been some "Players Navy Cut" or Erinmore Flake.

"Peace???????"
"...that heavenly interval of silence when everybody is reloading...."
---Jefferson---

Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

Red Cake sounds like McCranies house blend which is blended and tinned by McClelland.

Might be one of those spellings, McClelland sounds close. I just now it was the first taste in a long time that I really liked. Do American Pipe smokers tend to 'cuts' rather than blends?
I'm curious

Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

When I think Red Cake I think of McClellands bulk 5100 which goes by that name. I like a bit of Latakia mixed in mine as well. One of my favorites.

Thanks ever so much.
Learning here, "Jack" [my guy] says it is a Virginia; basically other than his word I really don't know here. Jack is learning too and has always been straight with me.
I'm going to sample end enjoy for the nonce. I think it will be just great to break-in a good CornCob.
Please don't mean to be talking in Egyptian hieroglyphic circles here; I am describing its effect on me as I smoked it.
Started with my new ChristMass Pipe the Peterson calabash; Jack says "...hey take a pinch here an try it I think you'll like it..."
Sometimes of you're going to learn ya'haveta' listen to folks, so I did and the effect was immediate. The taste on the billow[my phrase for blowing out the smoke] was somewhat honey, very low level but distinctly pleasant. jack let me nioff the humidor and I did not immediately get that sensation except at the end.

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull