Flavoring on Esoterica's Stonehaven

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkhanna74

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I called JF Germain and Sons two days ago, and asked a number of questions -- I have spoken to the folks there before and they have been very helpful and candid. (Principally, I was wondering when bulk Penzance would be available again -- they claim a shipment is close at hand). I asked what, if any, flavoring is on Stonehaven -- the answer is Treacle.

They confirmed that Penzance and Margate lack flavorings.

Just thought you'd like to know. By the way, a few months ago, I called Samuel Gawith and asked about the XX twist tobacco -- they told me it is soaked in cooking oil and heated, and this is why it is so dark.

Morning Fellows,
Hopefully I am still on the backorder list. I received an email that Penzance was back in stock and placed my order for two 8oz. bags immediately. I was notified two days later that my order was put in the till as they were already sold out. I have been smoking a bowl only on the weekends as my secret squirrel stash is getting mighty thin. Good news though and hopefully they come through.

Rich's Cigar Store in Portland Oregon, as of about 3 weeks ago, has 2oz tins of Penzance. I ordered three tins. Shipping was very fast. I received my order in the same week I ordered it, central California. The tin has a slightly different label than previously. As I am still working on an old tin, I have not tried it yet but some else who has says it has a slightly different taste. When I crack the tin I will let you all know.

Cheers
Joshua

http://www.richscigar.com/

Nice work! I like Stonehaven and have wondered about it's flavor for some time.

I have always wondered what flavorings are added to my favorites. I have found Gawith and JF Germain very forthcoming when I have called them to ask about what's "in" my favorite blends -- of course, the proportions are a secret.

JF Germain said that a certain cyprian oriental (but I don't believe he was referring to latakia) was in short supply and was the reason for the delays in shipping Penzance and Margate. That particular tobacco is apparently used in both Penzance and Margate (my two favorite blends, which stinks for me), but in different proportions. He also said that Smokers Haven's "Krumble Kake" (which JF Germain blends) is very similar to Penzance in its recipe, so I am guessing that this cyprian oriental leaf issue impacts the availability of Krumble Kake as well.

I plan to stock up on Penzance and Margate when they are available again -- there are few things as annoying as running out of my favorite tobaccos. With potential shortages, rising taxes, and fewer places to smoke these days, I am going to buy enough tobacco to last a lifetime!

I just sold off a sealed 8oz bag I had stashed away... I lost the love for Stonehaven.

I've never got to try the stuff yet. :( doesn't look like I'll ever get to either.

What's 'treacle'? Sounds like something from Davey Jones' Locker... Some kind of candy perhaps?

Treacle makes me think of fecal, makes me think MacBaren.

:lol:

Stonehaven is good stuff. Only had the pleasure of smoking it once. That was back when I was tearing through cans of Penzance like tissues with a sinus infection.

Had I known the well would run dry, I'd have slowed down and saved some for a rainy day. Now all I have are my memories and nothing compares to nostalgia.