Flavoring Pipe with Bourbon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anasazi6

Reaction score
Whenever I clean any of my pipes I always dip the pipe clearer in bourbon. The alcohol helps to remove the tar and other crud and also gives it a pleasant flavor. I don't use high quality/high priced bourbon just any run of the mill brand will do. Does anyone else use something similar to this?

DC in Texas

Ditto Anasazi! Right now, I am using Old Crow bourbon to clean my briars, and PGA to clean my meerschaums.

I have never liked the consistency of PGA, especially with briar. With meers, it's not so bad, as it seems to get the job done quick enough, before it begins to evaporate. Bourbon give me the time I need to work with it, before it evaporates, as well as, it won't strip wax off the bowl as easily, if I get a bit careless.

When it comes to bourbon, I take time to read the labels. Some of the cheapest bourbons are half pure grain alcohol, which defeats my purpose.

I love the way bourbon makes my pipes smell during the cleaning process, as well as after they have a few days to rest. I previously used Jim Beam, but I decided to give the Old Crow a try, as it was pure bourbon and 1/3rd cheaper than the Beam. I am pleased with it so far, and will probably just stick with it from now on.

The only thing about the Beam that I like better, is that it is a decent enough bourbon to drink if I am all out of single barrel varieties.

The Captain who got me started with pipes back in 'Nam used to use Bourbon to clean his and I've done as he taught me back then since. Since when I drink Bourbon, I drink Jack Daniels green label, that's what i have on hand and that's what I use ! Works for me :p

I've always used rum. The higher proof and the blacker the better! It's all a matter of personal taste though. My advice is don't use something you wouldn't drink. It doesn't make sense to clean with rum if you don't like it!

Jim

huffelpuff":14744rwh said:
I've always used rum. The higher proof and the blacker the better! It's all a matter of personal taste though. My advice is don't use something you wouldn't drink. It doesn't make sense to clean with rum if you don't like it!

Jim
If it is good enough to drink, why waste it cleaning tar our of a pipe?

Everclear works, and thus, the pipe and tobacco lend the flavors I need.

No harm in getting a little flavor kick if you like it, though.

8)

Bacardi 151. It adds a pleasant sweetness that dissipates really quick.

I have read that Everclear is highly recommended for breaking down the tar build up, but the version sold here in CA is the same proof as Bacardi 151.

All Everclear is 151 proof these days, I believe. S'cool with me, gets the job done.

I have always used rubbing alcohol...but I do love me some bourbon, so maybe I should give it a try. Do you guys run it through the whole pipe just through the stummel with the stem removed?

Everclear 190 proof is banned in at least 10 states, two of which are Nevada and California. But the 190 does still exist. I saw it for sale when I was in Delaware a few years ago.

Dave, I dip a pipe cleaner into 151, squeeze off any excess rum by pinching the wet cleaner and running my fingers down the length of it prior to inserting it into the mouthpiece. Obviously, working with a damp pipe cleaner rather than a sopping wet one is important. I run it through the stem and stummel all the way to the bowl. Once in a while I'll also gently swipe the inside bowl during the process being careful not to get it on the rim.

I do, sometimes, use Bourbon and other liquor to flavor tobacco, but not pipes.

What I've done all these years is when I do my monthly "reem-n-clean" to the previous month's rotation Itake care of the cake, then take a cleaner dipped in Jack, run it around the bowl interior, thru the stem/stummel then put the pipe away till it comes up in rotation a month or more later. Surprisingly, you don't get much flavor from the Bourbon when you re-light it to smoke after it has all evaporated out. Just a nice fresh pipe ready to go :p

Ever clear. Don't drink much and have that around for cleaning. Boy is it caustic.

Personally, I have always used a good dark rum. I found that Appelton Estate Jamaican rum is wonderful for the purpose, smells good and is great in a pina colada. I usually fill the straw with Appelton before handing it to a friend..sort of a shooter to start with. But it is really good to clean and refresh your pipe. I do it after every pipeload..then we be jammin.