Flavoring Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

It seems to me that both GLP Maltese Falcon and McClelland's Seattle Pipe Club, Seattle Evening possess the exact same topping. It is a top flavoring familiar to a number of other blends as well. I for one do not like it one bit. What is it, exactly? Any ideas?

I don't detect any top flavoring. Maybe its one of the Orientals you're tasting?

1968eric":ybhckato said:
I don't detect any top flavoring. Maybe its one of the Orientals you're tasting?
No, it is a top flavoring and has nothing to do with the Orientals. This addition is in fact mentioned quite explicitly on both tin label descriptions (GLP: "enhanced by a discreet and mysterious spice"; Seattle Evening: "...an exotic twist added by a McClelland Tobacco secret"). Now, what is it, exactly, is the question? Certainly, someone here would know ...

I don't interpret that line in the tin description literally as an actual spice but a range of flavor from the tobacco - probably the Oriental leaf. I could be wrong.

The TR site only has two reviews for Seattle Evening and both reviewers state that no flavoring is detected.

On Maltese Falcon some detect it, many like it, others say it is unimportant. Only a few believe there is nothing but tobacco.

You could always email GLP, C&D or McClelland telling them of your dislike and asking for the offending item to be identified. If they decide to tell, then you know. If they don't, then your quest continues.

Pleckzepiper":vg182m9g said:
The TR site only has two reviews for Seattle Evening and both reviewers state that no flavoring is detected.
Yes, indeed they do. I do not believe it for one second. Unless reasoned evidence is presented to the contrary, I will say that the added top flavoring is deer's tongue (and will leave it at that). I have a few tins of each in the 'trading post' section in case anyone is interested. Cheers!

Where is that post at..............................................The Spice!

The spice! It's in everything here. The air, the soil, the food... It's like the Truthsayer drug..... It's a poison!!!! You knew the spice would change me. But thanks to your teachings it's changed my consciousness. I can see it... I can see it.

Carlos":kmtvnbgz said:
The spice! It's in everything here. The air, the soil, the food... It's like the Truthsayer drug..... It's a poison!!!! You knew the spice would change me. But thanks to your teachings it's changed my consciousness. I can see it... I can see it.
"Bitter cinnamon... unmistakable." :lol!:

Carlos":78cm6by1 said:

Are your eyes turning blue? :lol!: :sunny: :cyclops:

regor":ym5s9zdd said:
Carlos":ym5s9zdd said:

Somewhere, and I cannot find it, is a post about the first tin of Maltese Falcon I opened. I ran off at the mouth about the spice. :D

Carlos":azidrhmd said:
regor":azidrhmd said:
Carlos":azidrhmd said:

Somewhere, and I cannot find it, is a post about the first tin of Maltese Falcon I opened. I ran off at the mouth about the spice. :D
:lol!: :lol!: :sunny: :face: :)

There were

Carlos":06jvyl2j said:
Not so strong as to turn away the guys that like a lighter blend. Yet enough body, flavor, and strength, to satisfy us 5XL fellows. I can see guys with 8oz and pound containers scooping and smoking all day.

Nice sweetness in the blend. A smoke you can feel with your tongue.

I am trying to tickle the nose with it as there is some very interesting scents. I almost think I know what it is and it's gone. Then back.

I went though that bowl a little quick. But the Ruthenberg just got warm. Never hot. Very nice. I didn't have to search for flavor. Don't feel like I just chewed a chunk of charcoal. Clean on the palate. Good reviewers are gonna have fun with this.
Oh My! :D The smell! Wow! I have spent the best part of 10 minutes just looking at it and sniffing it.

This blend has a really unique smell. Woodsy. Musty like an old book. Some mushrooms growing in there somewhere. A hot cup of Bigelow's Constant Comment tea. Slightly sweetened. This tea scent is fleeting. And of course, tobacco.
..... The spice is never overwhelming and I have trouble putting the pipe down. The blend never gets hot for me. No tongue bite. Nice and clean on the palate. I am ready to light another bowl up now. Not from lack of satisfaction, but from a desire to continue the experience.
But what was a fleeting spice I detected in the first tin is not present to my nose in this one. So I am reminded of the scent of Phurunargian. Earthy. A bit smokey from the fires deep beneath the great city. Musty as a tomb.

Haven't had the Seattle club, but I have finished a few tins of Maltese Falcon. It reminded me of Dunhill 965; assuming I'm recallling correctly, I didn't detect a topping but a sweetness.

Could it be sweetened cavendish?

Kapnismologist":nyf1vx2v said:
1968eric":nyf1vx2v said:
No, it is a top flavoring and has nothing to do with the Orientals. This addition is in fact mentioned quite explicitly on both tin label descriptions (GLP: "enhanced by a discreet and mysterious spice"; Seattle Evening: "...an exotic twist added by a McClelland Tobacco secret"). Now, what is it, exactly, is the question? Certainly, someone here would know ...
The burden of proof is on you.

1968eric":6sj5cy9j said:
The burden of proof is on you.
I am sure someone here will know what the topping is. I really do think it is deer's tongue, but do not know for sure. In the meanwhile, I'll keep on searching and see what I may be able to find out. Quite a mystery to be sure. Cheers!