Flooded Lawn Mower Engine

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
I flooded my lawn mower engine a few weeks back. I have tried a number of techniques to cure the problem. I poured out the gas and it ran for about 5 minutes. I've dried the brand new plug off a number of times with no luck. I can get it to run for a few minutes at a time, but had to cut the grass with the weed eater last week. My back would really appreciate any advice on how to get the mower running again.
Thanks,
Milan

I'm no mechanic, but it sounds as if it's not getting gas. Could be a plug or crimp in the gas line or possibly a piece of somthing in the tank that settles in the intake.

I don't post here much, but I had this same problem. Check your fuel filter. Its probably clogged. I replaced mine and that took care of the problem.

clogged air filter?
stuck float in the carb?
piece of dirt in the needle valve?

Thanks for all the pointers. I got it running today! I poured all the gas out, took off the spark plug, and let it sit for a couple days. The tank dried completely out with no signs of any moisture. I then put the plug back in, replaced the filter, and filled it up with gas. A few pulls later it started and ran like a gem.
Thanks Again,
Milan

Milan":saur5rnw said:
Thanks for all the pointers. I got it running today! I poured all the gas out, took off the spark plug, and let it sit for a couple days. The tank dried completely out with no signs of any moisture. I then put the plug back in, replaced the filter, and filled it up with gas. A few pulls later it started and ran like a gem.
Thanks Again,
Milan
Had it been sitting in high humidity for awhile you might have had water in the gas. Up here I always put gasoline stabilizer in our lawnmowers, RVs etc. for over winter storage.

I generally make it a rule to run the tank dry at the end of the cutting season. If I have gas in a can that is to be stored, I add stabilizer. I also make it a point to purchase any gasoline for storage in the winter as "winter" gas has a longer shelf life.

I bet you both are right. I didn't use a stabilizer and it was the first time I had try to run it. I'll make sure to run it dry next fall and add some stabilizer to the left over fuel in the garage for over winter. I never even thought about it.
Thanks,
Milan

Last summer I used the wrong hose at the gas station and filled the can with diesel gas.
In case this has never happened to you, your lawnmower doesn't work and you feel really stupid after you complain to the gas station.