Flying, TSA, and all that

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeGeek

Reaction score
I'm sitting in the San Jose airport having just made it through security. While I wait to board my flight home, I thought I'd share a few things about flying as a pipe smoker.

In my job I typically fly a lot, which means countless trips through security. My goal is to spend as little time there as possible. MOST TSA agents are friendly enough and are just doing their job; I've only run across two agents who were real ***holes, and thankfully they were dealing with other travelers at the time. So my first bit of advice is this: Be as friendly as you can muster. They have to deal with a lot of people over long shifts, so being friendly well go a long way with them.

This trip, as you may know, I came back with a bit more tobacco than i went out with. So each time through security I had baggies of tobacco, pipes, pipe cleaners, a metal lighter and my pipe tool. On the way back I had 4 metal tins of tobacco and 4 "paper" tins of tobacco as well. I put everything but the tobacco in a gallon ziplock bag, and I pulled out that bag and put it in the bin with my shoes and liquids, etc. I put the tobacco in my suitcase and spread it out as best I could over the top of my clothes so they didn't stack on each other.

My concern going out was that they'd balk at the pipe tool, thinking it coud be used as a weapon or something. On the way back I figured they'd want to see what was in the tins.

Turns out, both times the only thing they wanted to see was the metal lighter, and then only to be sure it wasn't a torch lighter, which you can't take on the plane. No comment or mention of the pipe tool or tins.

So, all in all, not bad, and since the lighter was in the ziplock bag I had already taken out of my luggage, no need for TSA to go digging into my bags.

Nice to see someone with inteligence concerning flying these days!! Not the usual :it's my RIGHT to be a "dumass" I've seen when traveling recently. You are to be applauded :p

TSA has actually loosened the restrictions a lot since the original rules. For instance, scissors, even those with pointed blades, as long as the blades are shorter than 4", are OK to take on board. Same deal with things like screwdrivers, as long as the total length is less than 7". So I have assumed that a Czech tool or the similar which is about all I hazard to take when I travel, should be OK. Mine has been through security multiple times.

I have a copy of the most recent TSA regs saved to my Evernote app so it is easily accessible on my phone or iPad. Not that it might help a lot since the TSA can fall back on their "discretion" when in doubt.

PS I agree with your comments about the TSA agents, most of them dread the passengers who are going to make their life miserable. As long as you look like you know what you are doing and just want to get though the line as quickly as possible while following the rules, they will make the process as easy as possible.

HOWEVER: Be careful when traveling internationally. TSA rules are not the same as the rules in other countries. I "lost" a Zippo in the UK a few years ago going through Heathrow airport security, even though I had come from the U.S. and passed through U.S. security without any problem. I had a pipe tool confiscated in Singapore at airport security (they could not figure out what it was despite my explanation), so they just shrugged and took it! I would also be very CAUTIOUS about traveling with bags of loose tobacco in places like Turkey, Singapore, etc.; you DO NOT want the hassle of them thinking it is something other than plain tobacco. Whenever I have traveled to such places, I make sure I take tobacco in its original tins.

Excellent, practical advice above. I have found that the important thing, also, is to grovel a bit, whimper, and strike a submissive pose. Submit, obey, be humble, be meek, and try to convey the image that you think the agents are just about the most important people who ever lived, wise, and vested by de gubbermint with great discretionary power that they will exercise at their slightest whim. It doesn't hurt to drop your pants without even being asked.

Richard Burley":liow6uru said:
It doesn't hurt to drop your pants without even being asked.
This is true in most situations. Unless there are kids involved, then it seems to make things worse.

George Kaplan":8imt83dm said:
Richard Burley":8imt83dm said:
This is true in most situations. Unless there are kids involved, then it seems to make things worse.
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

I take all the advise on TSA and pipes/accessories I can get as I also travel a great deal and don't want to lose any of my stuff. What kind of tool do you travel with?

George Kaplan":tqvoook0 said:
Richard Burley":tqvoook0 said:
Check your state laws on this one.... I think they actually encourage that in some of the Blue States

I do a little hip dance in the nudie x-ray machines, but I have yet to get dollar bills when I exit. Apparently they don't like the way my spurs jingle-jingle jangle. Jingle jangle.

I've tried tellin' people those machines could revolutionize strip clubs--think of the safety of the dancers, both pro and amateur, and an obvious loophole that everyone is fully clothed, so it's technically not "nude."

Flying sucks.

kaiser83":7x554o73 said:
I take all the advise on TSA and pipes/accessories I can get as I also travel a great deal and don't want to lose any of my stuff. What kind of tool do you travel with?
Lots of good advice in this thread. If you really don't want to take chances, a wooden golf tee makes a good carry-on pipe tool. One other thing to mention: Some pipes like Dunhills and Longchamps have a stinger that looks like a giant hypodermic needle. It's easy to forget it's there until it shows up on an x-ray, then it looks an awful lot like a concealed weapon to a non-pipe smoker.

George Kaplan":2d9dgl7m said:
kaiser83":2d9dgl7m said:
Lots of good advice in this thread. If you really don't want to take chances, a wooden golf tee makes a good carry-on pipe tool. One other thing to mention: Some pipes like Dunhills and Longchamps have a stinger that looks like a giant hypodermic needle. It's easy to forget it's there until it shows up on an x-ray, then it looks an awful lot like a concealed weapon to a non-pipe smoker.
Darn good idea there I had not thought of. Will have to grab a couple out of my bag the next time I go home. Thank you.

Traveling often from Israel, I get hassled at our airport for security, which is strange, seeing that I am local, holding israeli passport and have no "suspicious features" (whatever that may mean....). Abroad, I usually get in trouble with immigration (if I do). Havent travelled to the US in years since I my visa was cancelled back in 2003, bad bad experience with the American authorities....

That point about stingers in some pipes is a good one to remember during air travel.

Shaharh, I remember a story from another Israeli who found, surprisingly, he had less trouble going through Israeli security when he grew a beard. Neither here nor there, your story just jarred that memory lose.

kieveryuu":3tvj2k85 said:
That point about stingers in some pipes is a good one to remember during air travel.
Yeah. Good luck explaining this to someone who's expecting to find weapons...

George Kaplan":x4bwomen said:
Holy crap, does that second as a bloodletting device? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I've never seen such a painful pipe extra.

George Kaplan":08b61gij said:
kieveryuu":08b61gij said:
Think about it, given the right circumstances, that IS a weapon ! Sad for sure, but it's all in your point of reference these days.

monbla256":y9ovlazm said:
Think about it, given the right circumstances, that IS a weapon ! Sad for sure, but it's all in your point of reference these days.
Putin' the "sting" in stinger! :p

PipeGeek":ed1r64gt said:
I thought I'd share a few things about flying as a pipe smoker.

This trip, as you may know, I came back with a bit more tobacco than i went out with. So each time through security I had baggies of tobacco, pipes, pipe cleaners, a metal lighter and my pipe tool.

Turns out, both times the only thing they wanted to see was the metal lighter, and then only to be sure it wasn't a torch lighter, which you can't take on the plane.
Great tips. Thanks for posting them. So in your experience a Vector Thunderbird pipe lighter(butane fuel in a Zippo body) is OK in a carry-on even without a DOT approved case?

Under scrutiny I'm not sure my pipe tool would pass since it resembles a pocket knife and in fact has a 4th implement, a small knife. I frequently use a reproduction cut nail for tamping and poking so at least for a short trip I can get along without the combo tool.

Lesepfeife":jb751lwa said:
Great tips. Thanks for posting them. So in your experience a Vector Thunderbird pipe lighter(butane fuel in a Zippo body) is OK in a carry-on even without a DOT approved case?

Under scrutiny I'm not sure my pipe tool would pass since it resembles a pocket knife and in fact has a 4th implement, a small knife. I frequently use a reproduction cut nail for tamping and poking so at least for a short trip I can get along without the combo tool.
Yes, as long as the lighter isn't a torch you are permitted to carry it on, but only one. If you have more then one you'll have to check it and then make sure it is empty and in an approved case. Though, before I knew this I flew from Philadelphia to Florida and back with a full zippo (not case) in my checked bag and did not get stopped.

I fly with a Czech tool and that is not a problem. I did get searched once and the dude looked at the tool and checked to make sure my Zippo was not a torch. He didn't give me any trouble though. He was done and put everything back by the time I had my shoes tied.

I would be concerned about bringing one of those pocket knife looking tools, though. If you can check it you'll be fine, but I wouldn't try to carry it on.