For Fountain Pen folks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
As well as fine pipes I know many of you use fountain pens and I thought it might be nice to know and see some of those "daily writers" those brothers use on a daily basis to write with!! I started using fountain pens back when I was in grade school, in the mid '50s, about the 3rd grade as I recall with a black lever filler Schaefer my grandfather bought me. Have been using, and collecting 'em since and now have more fountain pens than I do pipes! :twisted: But out of all the pens I have there are TWO that i use on a daily basis and I thought it might be interesting to see or hear about your "daily writers" as well as your fave ink. Here's my two:
First is a Parker 75 that my grandfather got back in 1965. here's a pic of one:
Open

Closed

Next is my Mont Blanc 256 which was my fathers which he bought back around 1953 or so. I remember him using it all through my chidhood. Here's a couple of pics of one:
Open:

Closed

You'll notice that BOTH of these pens have what were called "winged" style nibs with the MB being the softer of the two. :twisted: :twisted:

I will have to get pics. I havea Montblanc Jules Verne b nib, Mb 146 platinum medium nib, pelikan m805 italic broad nib, sailor 1911 large black rhodium with a music nib, pilot 912 fa nib, platinum president blue and rhodium with a broad nib and a taccia nightlife sage with 1.1 italic nib.

tarheel7734":qp5jh6ey said:
I will have to get pics. I havea Montblanc Jules Verne b nib, Mb 146 platinum medium nib, pelikan m805 italic broad nib, sailor 1911 large black rhodium with a music nib, pilot 912 fa nib, platinum president blue and rhodium with a broad nib and a taccia nightlife sage with 1.1 italic nib.
Those are some NICE pens!!! Do you use them ALL on a daily basis? Is your Meisterstuck (146) one of the newer (post 1960's) with the 18k two toned nibs? They are not made of solid Platinum, merely plated on solid 18k gold. Solid Platinum would make them cost twice as much as they do !! :twisted: I have an older,pre-1950, 146 and it has a solid 18k, not two-toned incredibly soft nib that lays down a BEAUTIFULLY varied thick/thin line similar to the old Watermans of the eye dropper era !! And they are BIG pens also !! :twisted: :twisted:

The platinum refers to the trim. It is black resin with platinum trim. It is a newer pen.

My daily writer. 1955 Pelikan 140. I had to have a new seal put in. One of the new silicon versions which you can see through the ink window as it's white. The old cork, like in this photo, are hard to see. Medium nib that has a nice flex when needed.

pelika10.jpg
[/url][/img]

Those older Pelikans are some FANTASTIC writers !! They did and still do, put some nibs meant to write with on those pens !! 'Course a fountain pen was a standard tool in most folks lives back then !! That's a DAMN FINE example of a FANTASTIC pen !! :twisted: :twisted: Tarheel. I've not kept up with many of the newer pens out there but yours look WONDERFULL ! I was not aware that MB had brought out a Meisterstuck with all Platinum trim !! Neat !!

Look familiar, Monbla? :mrgreen:

14982637284_7fcd25bc41_c.jpg

My 75 needs some work, it was a gift from a friend, needs the cap springs replaced, but it's in good shape otherwise. The 51 is my daily writer.

Yes, I still have the 45! I filled it with green ink for interesting note-taking.

8)

Kyle Weiss":m86eb6dk said:
Look familiar, Monbla?   :mrgreen:

14982637284_7fcd25bc41_c.jpg

My 75 needs some work, it was a gift from a friend, needs the cap springs replaced, but it's in good shape otherwise.  The 51 is my daily writer.  

Yes, I still have the 45!   I filled it with green ink for interesting note-taking.

8)
Two classic Parkers ! Ya can't go wrong with either one ! Glad the 45 is working for ya!! :cheers:

I used a fountain pen back in early grade school, say from when we were taught cursive writing in about the 2nd or 3rd grade. That was about a hundred years ago now!

Always remember that the pens seemed about 10X larger than my small hands. Had some from my grandparents that were difficult to work with due to the size. Yet they were things of beauty, and I sometimes sketched out crude drawings of them as missiles with fins!

My cursive writing was always for s**t. And the girls in my class always had perfect cursive writing, as did my Mom. They must have practised loops and such over and over until it was just right. Not for the likes of me!

To this day, whenever I have to write something out by hand I use block printing. And it's still crude!

Kudos to those of you who can use a fountain pen and manage the cursive style. It's an art to be sure.

And no, I no longer have any of those old pens!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":u7zj8iuy said:
I used a fountain pen back in early grade school, say from when we were taught cursive writing in about the 2nd or 3rd grade. That was about a hundred years ago now!

Always remember that the pens seemed about 10X larger than my small hands. Had some from my grandparents that were difficult to work with due to the size. Yet they were things of beauty, and I sometimes sketched out crude drawings of them as missiles with fins!

My cursive writing was always for s**t. And the girls in my class always had perfect cursive writing, as did my Mom. They must have practised loops and such over and over until it was just right. Not for the likes of me!

To this day, whenever I have to write something out by hand I use block printing. And it's still crude!

Kudos to those of you who can use a fountain pen and manage the cursive style. It's an art to be sure.

Cheers,

RR
I've seen your hand writing BD and you need to get a new crayon.

Cartaphilus":ok002b6a said:
Brewdude":ok002b6a said:

Cheers,

RR
I've seen your hand writing BD and you need to get a new crayon.
And you'd be 100% right Ron!

:lol:

Cheers,

RR

I started a small collection of fountain pens one time, but for reasons such as Brewdude has stated, I sold them all off. No matter how hard I tried my handwriting would not improve, finally I found I no longer cared and just went and bought some G-2s. :lol:

I still wish I could write better, and envy those of you who can. You all have my respect. :cheers:

I hope this doesn't hijack the thread, but I am wanting to find a good starter pen for myself and one for my wife. She has been wanting a good fountain pen for a while, and I would like one for myself.. So, I have been looking, but there are so many brands at such a wide variety of prices, that I figured I would turn to my brothers here for some advice. I can spend no more than $75 on a pen, and would rather stay under $50 if at all possible. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
JP

d4klutz":9n3vaka5 said:
I hope this doesn't hijack the thread, but I am wanting to find a good starter pen for myself and one for my wife.  She has been wanting a good fountain pen for a while, and I would like one for myself..  So, I have been looking, but there are so many brands at such a wide variety of prices, that I figured I would turn to my brothers here for some advice.  I can spend no more than $75 on a pen, and would rather stay under $50 if at all possible.  Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
JP
A sailor procolor would fit the bill nicely. http://www.engeika.com/product-list?keyword=procolor&Submit=Search

If you create an account they are under 50.00

Good thread. I used to love fountain pens, but damaged many and lost a few more, and eventually just stored them away to rot. Unfortunately, they did rot, especially the first one I ever got (it was a no name pen and it was mandatory for first grade at school). I still have some parts and may send it off to be restored, one day. Do you guys recommend a place that is reliable and does good work?

The last pen I bought was a Montblanc 146 (I know because I went to dig it up after reading this thread). It still is in good shape, even after being in storage for over twenty years. I need to dig the others up and take a picture. I don't know what I have, except that they are all Parker and Pelikan. Will take the pic later in the week, during vacation.

d4klutz":dbqr7pb1 said:
I hope this doesn't hijack the thread, but I am wanting to find a good starter pen for myself and one for my wife.  She has been wanting a good fountain pen for a while, and I would like one for myself..  So, I have been looking, but there are so many brands at such a wide variety of prices, that I figured I would turn to my brothers here for some advice.  I can spend no more than $75 on a pen, and would rather stay under $50 if at all possible.  Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
JP
Lamy Safari pens are cheap and decent. They tend to like thinner ink, by my reckon. I'm not an expert, but this was advice given to me, now passed on to you. I have one Safari that I enjoy.

8)

Kyle Weiss":slyk94mg said:
d4klutz":slyk94mg said:

Thanks in advance,
JP
Lamy Safari pens are cheap and decent.   They tend to like thinner ink, by my reckon.  I'm not an expert, but this was advice given to me, now passed on to you.   I have one Safari that I enjoy.

8)
I didnt care for the safari. The grip section just felt weird. I prefer a more traditinal feel.

Had a Parker Vacumatic for almost 30 years. I rarely used it though as I found it uncomfortable with the arthritis in my hands. I sent it on to someone here who shall remain nameless. He's enjoying the hell out of it. Now I'm going to show my age a bit. I still have and use a Cross fountain pen I bought 26 years ago because at the time where I was it was the thinnest fountain pen you could buy. Looks just like the standard pen and pencil sets they did. Paid more than I should have at the time, but it has served me well all these years. I believe it was about $65 with tax. Good solid pen with a gold nib. Extra fine as it was for official paperwork and note taking. There are other nicer brands out there in your price range. Hopefully you find something you really like.

tarheel7734":zn3nrhcg said:
I didnt care for the safari. The grip section just felt weird. I prefer a more traditinal feel.
Word.   I only keep the one Safari I do have because it has a calligraphy/chisel tip, and it is useful (including grip) for really steady and precise motions.   Otherwise the grips are kind of... I dunno if "gradeschool" is a feeling, but they're kind of clunky. Unless, like I said, you need the nib to be pointed in the right direction all the time.

Parker pens really rock my world.   You can pick up a 45 for pretty cheap, but if you ever try a 51, you're gonna get hooked.   You've been warned.   :)

8)