For the heathen

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've shaved with a straight razor more than once just to say I did it. Now I'll just stick with my Norelco lawn mower!

I have longed to shave with the proverbial straight razor and badger brush, in order to fulfill my desire to appear more curmudgeonly.

However, I get razor bumps fairly easily, and apparently the heathenly jagged edge that the electric shaver leaves, seems to prevent this. :scratch:

Actually bro a good wet shave with de razor or straight is less irritating when used properly.
Add in the protection and moisturizing properties of modern shave soap and quality aftershave products and the face ends up better off. I could show before and after pics that would make you swear it's not the same guy...

But I'm not really trying to sell anyone. Just sharing a link and ribbing back after getting ribbed.

A real man dry shaves!
Need to increase my meds it seems..

It's that slippery slope...first it's wet shaving, then sugar in your tea and water in your whiskey (G)..
I'm a red-head so my whiskers aren't too coarse. Coming up on 40 years of wedded bliss so I don't feel the need for a 'baby butt' smooth face (G)..

warning: Amazon link heavy

I just switched over to a DE (Merkur Model 180 Long Handled http://goo.gl/dQtX1 ) and some Thayer Witch Hazel ( http://goo.gl/p4knO ) to go with my existing badger brush and Maca Root shave cream ( http://goo.gl/4d0ES ) - and after the initial fear of carving my skull into tiny bits, I've really started to enjoy the process. A solid (and likely expensive) badger brush makes a huge difference in lather creation. That first shave though, *shiver*, I was worried.

I'm currently using Derby Blades ( http://goo.gl/lDYzQ ) - at 100 for <$8 - this is a HUGE cost savings compared to my Mach 5 usage. Finishing up with a little Gold Bond Lotion has also helped my normally dry skin.

I still use the Mach 5 for trimming around the nose and ears as my skill hasn't perfected shaving those efficiently while in the shower.

beetlejazz: you might look into this yourself as well - apparently this is fantastic for the ladies

I have a Gillette Tech, a Gillette Super Speed , and a Muhle R89 in DE..
an Eversharp Schick G1 injector in SE,
and a couple straights including my crown jewel Dubl Duck Satin Edge...

The hilarity of that is the pipe board equivalent to what that means on the shave board is "i have two cobs, a Pete, and a couple basket pipes"

Funny. I just tried using a DE safety razor over Thanksgiving on a whim. I found my great-grandpa's WWI (you read that right) army issue Gillette that my grandpa also used with some old blades. Used my Art of Shaving cream and badger that I normally use with a Mach 3. I did not prior reading on how to properly use a safety razor. It was pretty fun, although I did tear my face up a bit. I think I'll pick up one for myself and give her a go.

Maybe then I can convince my mom to let me have that little manly family heirloom. If it was good enough for great-grandpa in the WWI trenches, it should be good enough for me.

Hmmm, I never actually shave, every once in a while I clip back the manly growth with me clippers to re-start my beard, I'm on a mission to grow a truly monstrous beard now mind, so it'll be a long long time before I shave again. :p

Eventually I want to get a vintage safety razor setup, just to mitigate cost from some of these "cartridge" deals that seem ungodly expensive. I just use the cartridges until really dull.

The whole straight-razor thing is romantic and awesome, but I just don't want to spend that much time prepping, primping and sharpening.

8)

i WAY prefer a nice wet shave over the electric, but damn i just don't have that kind of time available to "do it right".

last time i had a blade shave was when i had the barber do it - a few months ago. before that it probably had been YEARS.

for the longest time i couldn't find electrics that i thought did ANYWHERE near as good a job as the blade. then a bunch of years back i found the Braun stuff and i've been a very happy electric camper ever since. WAY easier to travel with too...

i do miss the warm, wet shave though....

doody.

actually I have to wet shave I always use the puck soap, If i try to use they stuff from a can I break out horribly when I use the soap pucks I never get irritation, I never thought about using the old style replaceable razors tho, just the other day me and the wife were complaining how much those mach5 razors are, but with these 100 for 8 bucks? I just might have to give it a shot!

Tried a straight razor a couple of times but went back to my DE Gillette razor I've had since I was in 'Nam. Still use the red badger brush and shaving soap as well. Back when I was married to my first wife, pre aids, I used to go down to the Baker Hotel barbershop in downtown Dallas on Saturdays and get a hot shave from the barber there. It was the hieght of luxury to get those steaming hot towels wrapped around your face, then the barber would lather up and use his straight razor for the smoothest shave I've ever had!! I don't know of any shops here in Dallas/Ft.Worth that still offer that. I miss it and if you get a chance to find a BARBER who still does 'em, get in the chair and enjoy :p :p

Shaving?,,hell I just drag my Gillette fat boy over my mug dry every couple days,,,if I had a baby smooth shave on my handsome face I couldn't get any work done for fighting the women off.