For the Moron Within

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
puros_bran":qsq8ldzb said:
Stick I'd be with you...but  having driven with a very similar system all the lights n sirens n all that good stuff fades from view very quickly.  

I used to live by a railroad track (probably the wrong side) right by an intersection... Tooot toooooot and rumbling tracks all the time. People would crybaby about the train saying it drove them crazy... I barely noticed after the first few weeks.
A few years into living there I took to waking up every morning at the same time and could not figure out why. A few days into the waking up routine my ex wife's uncle who worked for the railroad came by.. He said something to the effect of 'bet you're sleeping better since the 4:30 train quit coming by'..  

The human mind can adapt to anything.  All the bells n whistles in the world aren't going to stop distracted driving.
Gotta agree with ya there. I use to pull a numatic with an on-board motor that powered it for C&H and always had a 12am delivery.
As you probably know, there loader then a howitzer with a constant roar, after a few weeks I'd catch myself falling asleep with it running. Almost a lullaby.  

MisterE":kniybigp said:
Hey Cart, I just noticed the new avatar! You look younger! :shock:
Told ya guys I was going to change my avatar after that Old Man comment.
Surprises how old a grey beard can make you look and feel. Now I feel a little younger,
wish the body would go along with it. ;)

puros_bran":0ccy8mme said:

The human mind can adapt to anything.  All the bells n whistles in the world aren't going to stop distracted driving.
I couldn't agree more PB Sir. And people, like myself, will continue to be distracted by something every time they get into a vehicle. Anyone with children will identify with this! And there are also those who will be concentrating and alert and yet still miss a critical occurrence. I've lost count of how many times I've chosen to look in my rear view mirrors at exactly the moment when something has happened in front, a split second occurrence that really needs my attention.

Fumus":vb5018a3 said:
He must be using oil of delay.  ;)
Your probably closer then you think to the answer then you know.
My family has always had very oily complexion and some have said that's why
most of us don't look as old as we really are.
That or the Cartaphilus thing is becoming true.:fpalm:

Cartaphilus":1v0q95c2 said:
MisterE":1v0q95c2 said:
Surprises how old a grey beard can make you look and feel. Now I feel a little younger,
wish the body would go along with it.  ;)
I say! You're looking a bit dapper there old chap. ;)

Stick":y7j3kk8n said:
Cartaphilus":y7j3kk8n said:
MisterE":y7j3kk8n said:
I say!  You're looking a bit dapper there old chap.  ;)
And I'm smiling in this one too.

Cartaphilus":m35sa7wj said:
Stick":m35sa7wj said:
Cartaphilus":m35sa7wj said:
MisterE":m35sa7wj said:
I say!  You're looking a bit dapper there old chap.  ;)
And I'm smiling in this one too.
Digging the new look brother.

I pulled and dispatched a small fleet of pneumatics for a few years. Loud work..

puros_bran":48zdv2t2 said:
I pulled and dispatched a small fleet of pneumatics for a few years.  Loud work..
Dispatcher! That explains a lot.

Lol. I was the lead truck and at various times had between 2-5 trucks beneath me. Management basically dumped the contract in my lap and said deal with it. So every Thursday I'd get all the loads for next week. I'd sit down work a plan where everyone got pretty close to the same money and then call the guys with what they were doing next week. It wasn't a bad gig.

puros_bran":3iojmel1 said:
Lol.   I was the lead truck and at various times had between 2-5 trucks beneath me.  Management basically dumped the contract in my lap and said deal with it.    So every Thursday I'd get all the loads for next week. I'd sit down work a plan where everyone got pretty close to the same money and then call the guys with what they were doing next week.  It wasn't a bad gig.
When I was still hav'en to finger print freight I gotta say that dry and liquid tanks where pretty dadburn easy street for me. I hauled syrup from LA to Tucson for Coca Cola and being food stuff they had no baffles like C&H's (there's didn'nt either for the same reason) but, once ya got use to it you could literately shove yourself up a hill by timing the surge.

The only baffled tank I ever pulled was dry bulk.  
The only food grade I ever pulled was kosher viniger from Texas to Indiana. Oh,  And whiskey containers from Jack Danials to the rail yard.    I mostly did hazmats, latex, or oil in the liquid side...

After I started pulling tanks I swore I'd never go back to dry box.
After I started pulling horses I swore I'd never go back to tanks.
Now I'd even pull flatbed if I could. Lol

puros_bran":10grd46y said:
The only baffled tank I ever pulled was dry bulk.  
The only food grade I ever pulled was kosher viniger from Texas to Indiana. Oh,  And whiskey containers from Jack Danials to the rail yard.    I mostly did hazmats, latex, or oil in the liquid side...

After I started pulling tanks I swore I'd never go back to dry box.
After I started pulling horses I swore I'd never go back to tanks.
Now I'd even pull flatbed if I could.  Lol
Yeah, said the same thing till I had to pull a couple of those Container/rail tanks of Naphtha from the harbor to Bakersfield. Talk about surge, I had to start slowing down 2 miles before I hit the scales and still got set back around. And the goose neck chassis would buck so bad, by the end of the trip ya had to go see a chiropractor. :fpalm:
I'm glad I'm not driving anymore, there's just too many idiots out there nowadays and there's a new breed of truck driver that haven't a clue about highway courtesy. God lord there's drivers cutting off drivers and half of them want to fight over the radio instead of help. No, no, sir it was a blessing when I could no longer pass a DOT physical. ;)

That's my problem, I can't ride in a car without Percocet...kinda hard to pass a physical stoned.  

I pulled quite a few containers. I was one of only two guys qualified to do so on our yard... They ain't to horrible going straight but turning that spread axle high center of gravity stuff is for braver or stupider folk that me... Got one in a bind on a damn drain gate.  Looks simple enough til ya try it.   Lol.  

You've been out of the game a day or two Cart, I'd say less than 1 in 100 trucks even run a cb now a days.  To busy watching Netflix on the iPad for that.

puros_bran":x4qc5dj0 said:
That's my problem, I can't  ride in a car without Percocet...kinda hard to pass a physical stoned.  

I pulled quite a few containers. I was one of only two guys qualified to do so on our yard... They ain't to horrible going straight but turning that spread axle high center of gravity stuff is for braver or stupider folk that me... Got one in a bind on a damn drain gate.  Looks simple enough til ya try it.   Lol.  

You've been out of the game a day or two Cart, I'd say less than 1 in 100 trucks even run a cb now a days.  To busy watching Netflix on the iPad for that.
Some how that figures. :fpalm: