For those interested in "Imperial" tobaccos, ie Capstan, etc

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szyzk

Reaction score
I've been emailing back and forth with Hans Greibe Hansen at Scandinavian Tobacco Group regarding their ownership and distribution rights to the traditionally UK-only brands (St Bruno is not included in this as British American Tobacco owns the rights to sell this outside of Duty Free shops).

As a Junior Brand Manager he's been monitoring the popularity of some of their holdings and he's noticed that certain tobaccos - Capstan, Mick McQuaid, etc - are becoming more popular in European countries that have traditionally not accepted them. Their concerns are that in the past those brands become stagnant and have slow turnover on the shelf, which is understandable, but I mentioned that there are some brands (namely Esoterica and Sam Gawith) that are only fully in-stock a few times a year and that it hasn't hurt sales. Of course, he's now interested in how American consumers would take to these tobaccos.

If you want to throw your two cents in, email him at [email protected]! If this news would go over well at your pipe club or local tobacconist, spread the word! The more people who contact Hans, the better chance we may get at buying some of these tobaccos (even if only periodically)!

Pointing out as a cautionary, when you do, that American pipe smokers of the contemporary stripe are out to smoke one tin of everything ever made. Which will make initial sales volumes deceptive over the long run.

:face:

Yak":7kpbd4h5 said:
American pipe smokers of the contemporary stripe are out to smoke one tin of everything ever made.
Yeah, there does seem to be a somewhat manic need to try 'em all...

OK - I had to laugh at the responses to this thead. Too true.

It's like a guy with a remote sitting in front of the TV. He doesn't use it to find out what's ON. He uses it to find out what ELSE is on! Perhaps a fine distinction.

Yak":uvd2cl42 said:
Pointing out as a cautionary, when you do, that American pipe smokers of the contemporary stripe are out to smoke one tin of everything ever made. Which will make initial sales volumes deceptive over the long run.

+1 right on the money Yak

Yak":mek7na7v said:

Absolutely, I see this all the time at the tobacconist where I'm employed.

That said, we're also creatures of habit. Those of us that are ordering these from overseas already will continue to support the brands, albeit "locally", and they may pick up some new devotees to boot.

I would be thrilled if these were available. By now I've tried all of them and would happily work them into my rotation - they all fit the profiles that I'm looking for. I know there are others who would do the same - even on a limited basis.

Worst case scenario? Nothing changes. Middle ground? We have access to these blends every few months. Best case? They're regularly in-stock. It doesn't hurt to have more options!

Yak":avzyvm2o said:

Certainly a lot of truth there, but I wonder if many of us, as we try to sample at least every category a couple of times if not a tin of everything, don't also keep rebuying a few favorites as well?

Or perhaps they can make it an annual sale/fad, like Beaujolais Nouveau every November. :tongue:

DrT999":4vmt9bsd said:
Certainly a lot of truth there, but I wonder if many of us, as we try to sample at least every category a couple of times if not a tin of everything, don't also keep rebuying a few favorites as well?

Or perhaps they can make it an annual sale/fad, like Beaujolais Nouveau every November. :tongue:
This is exactly what I do. Every time I order some tobacco I get stuff I haven't tried before and restock on stuff I like.

Ask him to send out samples to us elite and distinguished bros. We'll post our reviews for the pipe smoking world to see.

jlong":mbasv3f5 said:
Ask him to send out samples to us elite and distinguished bros. We'll post our reviews for the pipe smoking world to see.
I'm sure most of us would be happy to volunteer our time!

Mick McQuaid aged 20 years is heavenly! So is St. Bruno, I have sent an e-mail begging for this to happen.

vaperfavour":4gucxa2m said:
Mick McQuaid aged 20 years is heavenly! So is St. Bruno, I have sent an e-mail begging for this to happen.

Mick McQuaid Ready Rubbed would find space in my cellar. I would buy a bunch. :D

This is a fascinating thread. And I think there probably is a market in the US for more traditional flakes and plugs esp the Irish plugs. Having another market (esp one as large as the US) for them is very likely to keep the products manufactured too. Traditionally the marketplace for hard tobaccos was the UK and Orlik/STG has continued that. Unfortunately the UK too is following a tobacco control regimen that is recognizably that defined by the WHO FCTC so various attributes incl packaging, labeling etc are subject to change over time. This is investment from the pov of the manufacturer and each time it occurs they weigh the investment against sales volume. So more and larger markets than just the UK are desirable to keep these old treats on the manufactured list.

There's another side to this that is interesting and that's the TM side. STG doesn't own many Imperial TM's. That they got Capstan is fascinating. STG has been licensed by Imperial to make and market some Imperial brands in specific Euro countries. But I suspect that licensing does not include entering the US market, for the other Imperial TMs that they don't own. STG says they own all the TM's listed on the following page:
http://www.st-group.com/index.php/pipe-tobacco/complete-brand-list

They can probably bring in any of those. The only reason I say probably is there may be some old split TM ownership issues to be cleaned up. They have the rights to those TM's likely world wide. But for example St. Bruno is another Imperial TM that is not theirs and there is a live registered TM (not STG or subsidiary) in the US PTO. Only the TM owner can contract to provide distribution rights for those brands. It looks like Capstan is really the only Imperial TM that they acquired. We can also see that Imperial cancelled their Capstan TM in the US back in Oct 2008 so it really is available to import to the US under that brand name.

But we also see STG bringing in under the Villiger brand as Cocktail Hour something that is remarkably like Three Nuns (another Imperial TM). So although it's heavily camouflaged there are ways to bend the rules.

Historically most of the famous brands that originated in the UK were gobbled up as the companies acquired each other. There are/were three big 'nests' of famous brands corresponding to the three big tobacco makers Imperial Tobacco, BAT, and Gallaher/JTI. STG has been picking up TM's as those three have been willing to part with them. BAT sold them all but Dunhill and Cpt Black back in 2007 so that accounts for TM's that historically were associated with PJ Carroll, Carreras, Murray's, Sinclair, Rothman's etc.

The whole BAT-Imperial relationship is also a big part of history. Fun stuff.

puros_bran":gppq9omx said:
Quick. Someone import Gallaherd Irish Plug!!!
Good luck with that. Unlikely.

There is some history here. Back in the mid 90's Gallaher was a subsidiary of the very famous American Tob Company. Many of the manufactured Gallaher branded tobaccos were available on shelves eg Condor, Rich Dark Honeydew, Sobranie, Cotton's, Sullivan Powell, etc etc... Two things frustrated that. The first is that the ATC exited the tobacco biz and spun off Gallaher with all their treats. And second the US States vs. Big Tobacco settled and created the MSA paying tribute, that looks remarkably like extortion, to the States, basically forever. Gallaher decided they didn't want to play so they exited the US market. Bye Bye treats. They haven't really returned.

It might, small might, be possible to bring some things back to the market but it probably involves someone doing exactly what Arango did with Sobranie Smoking mixture. That's likely a brand licensing arrangement that means Gallaher is not manufacturing tobacco for the US and is not liable. Otherwise Gallaher is unlikely to manufacture tobacco to be distributed in the US. I'm not sure what happens if they turn around and say 'Ok we changed our mind' and want to enter the US market again. Or if their parent company (the monster Japan Tobacco Inc.) might make it easier ie if they're already here. I don't know that they are in the US market. But big tobacco is not very interested in pipe tobaccos with the sole exception of STG-SM.