Forced myself to like Latakias

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah Brothers of Briar...there's a little educational value in each and every thread.

Storm_Crow":cu1p4j50 said:
This discussion got me wondering how they acheive that smoked flavor in an ale
Aside from what was mentioned already, I've also heard of a few brewers letting the beer age in charred oak barrels.

Kyle Weiss":omnonnlk said:
I think it's a similar process to how they smoke the malted barley by burning dried peat used in Islay single malts... except in the case of Rauchbier (German, "smoke beer" - you had it right ;) ) they smoke the hops and/or grain as well. This is just a guess, I haven't researched it.
Kyle is correct. Some of the malted barley used in the production of the smoky Islay Whiskys is "finished" in a kiln in which the malt is turned out onto a perforated floor, under which local peat is smouldering. That produces much peat smoke, which in turn rises and permeates the malt.

A portion of this is used with the non-peated malt, depending on the use rate and analysis which helps the distillery achieve consistency. Peating is rated by ppm (parts per million) and is achieved in the lab. So therfore, the distillery knows how much peated malt to use.

I've visited Islay and in fact attended "Whiskyfest 2001" where I toured all 7 of the small islands distilleries (now there are eight), as well as toured the malt plant in Port Ellen where they produce the peated malt.

Being a brewer and a Scottish Whisky aficionado as well, this totally out of control insane week was one for the record books! While I knew a bit about the production of Scottish Malt Whisky before this, Whiskyfest really opened my eyes and gave things a whole different dimension!

The tours were very comprehensive, and exceeded the boundaries of the limited tours that exist during the rest of the year. And that's an understatement!

I'll stop here in an effort not to threadjack further. But if there's interest I can post my journal about the experience. Not here of course. Perhaps in a more appropriate forum.

:geek:

Cheers,

RR

MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian has been my almost exclusively smoked tobacco for the past year.[/quote]

Hey zero,

I really like HH vintage syian too. But It seems to bite. Do you share this problem?

Bill

Happy to take this back to Latakia. Where there's a threadjack, I'm usually involved. Mea culpa. :lol:

That Balkan Sobranie coming my way next week is sure to raise a few eyebrows. Mainly, mine. 8)

Kyle Weiss":7vo1546m said:
Storm_Crow":7vo1546m said:
Kyle Weiss":7vo1546m said:
Come on, say it with me:

LAPHROIAG! 8)

Okay, I like smokey stuff. :lol: Point taken. :p 8)
Err..can I get a phonetic breakdown? :suspect:
lah-FROY-g -- or so I'm told.

I always pronounced it lah-FRAYG....maybe I'm retarded. No one ever told me I was wrong...maybe they just laughed behind my back

Funny how we smokers react so different to the same stimuli. For me latakia was love at first smoke.I quit aromatics inmediatly after trying this.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lmao,, too funny..

That was a pretty good conversation there !
But smoky beer ?

lb":otayzjs5 said:
Funny how we smokers react so different to the same stimuli. For me latakia was love at first smoke.I quit aromatics inmediatly after trying this.
So did you not enjoy aromatics in the first place, and if not, how did you stay with the pipe long enough to smoke latakia?

I guess what confuses me about the pipe community is the "this or that" mentality rather than a proper tobacco-slut perspective!

Actually maybe it shouldn't confuse me. Playing barbershop psychologist for a moment, experience has taught me that folks tend to feel most comfortable...stable...with one thing being what's right (for them). This religion or that, right wing or left wing, tastes great or less filling...

All these white and black hats. Can I get a shout out for the gray!

Storm,
I think I agree with you. as far as "the Grey".

I dont think I could be a fan of just one or two types of baccy.
I absolutely love Virginia's, but if I smoked them 4 times a day, Id get bored of them.
I do like to go to my tobacco cabinet, and "question" my mood.
Kind of like opening the freezer, and contemplating,,,, "hmm? steak again? (Va)... or how about a juicy hamburger, or maybe a chili dog smothered in onions, or a slow cooked roast ?

Thats what I like so much about my transformation ever since I hooked up with you BoB's.

Since Ive started, I have had 37 blends/types/ samples of tobacco's in my cabinet.
Currently I have 26 blends/ types /samples in there, of which, about 12 I havent even tried yet.

When I leave for the day, I usually am packing a Va, a Va-per, an Aro, and now, a Latakia. with a pipe for each. :shock:
I may be nuts :D but I like it this way :D

I would think that , that would be considered ,,, Grey LOL

Storm_Crow said:
lb":fn06laty said:
So did you not enjoy aromatics in the first place, and if not, how did you stay with the pipe long enough to smoke latakia?

I guess what confuses me about the pipe community is the "this or that" mentality rather than a proper tobacco-slut perspective!
Yes,i did liked aromatics before that(schippers and troost from Van Rossem).But after trying latakia(sobranie 759 in 1973) i knew inmediatly that i preferred this over that.Since then i have been smoking several latakia mixtues.As you can see,i have been smoking long enough as to know what i like. In your opinion...what constitute a proper tobacco-slut perspective?

It's funny, but I have two completely conflicting lines of thought that I'm yet to reconcile:

1)
have you ever spoken to someone on the Atkins diet? They get to eat copious amounts of meat..all you can eat baby! On the other hand, they may not partake of fruit, most veggies, sweets of any kind, nor pasta or bread. Take someone who really enjoys a good steak or hamburger. They start out and this diet seems like nirvana. Fast forward a few months however, and they just never want to see another piece of meat for the rest of their lives.

This seems to hold true for most things in our lives that are related to pleasure. You always have the need to switch it up, to enjoy variety. Other parables include buying "stuff" you like. It brings you pleasure to own it at first and then it becomes ho hum. How many times have you bought this awesome brand new car and...2 years later, it's just a car. The same holds true for most people when it comes to sex. As much as they may still love their partner, they become sexually restless. It's not that their partner specifically is not enough, it's that their partner is only one person and variety is needed, so an outlet is sought.

2)
Here's where my thinking runs off the rails...

When it comes to drinking and smoking...these activities do seem to have a way about them in which folks can start on a particular thing, and just keep on with it for decades. The frat partier in college who starts off on Pabst Blue Ribbon (apologies to anyone who actually enjoys this vomitous swill :p), the cigarette smoker who's been 2 packs/ day on Marlboros for 20 years, etc.

The most obvious (though not necessarily correct) way to differentiate this second class of pleasure activities from the first is that in the first group, pleasure was obtained through natural chemicals in the brain, whereas in the second, it was obtained from brain chemicals being adjusted by the intake of external chemicals...alcohol or nicotine.

CONCLUSION? Well I don't know that I have one...these were simply musings that I underwent yesterday evening as I'm wont to do, because as anyone who knows me will testify, I'm quite wierd. In the event I ever gain wealth, my goal is to upgrade to eccentric.

What do you all think? Could some level of addiction from external chemicals somehow play a role in monogamy towards a particular brand or flavor? Is there a better explaination? Am I just completely batsh*t nuts?

You decide! :scratch:

Can't argue there, Storm.

The only thing is, I'm not always a regular smoker. I haven't had a pipe in three days, for example (probably going to break that this morning, my porch is lookin' cozy in the sun). 8)

With food, well, as they say, you gotta eat. More frequency of the "same ole" and yeah, it's gonna get old.

With smoke and adult beverages, unless it's a habit or addiction, you can really control what you like, and these "taste trends" may last for quite a while.

On that note, though, my attacking tobacco tasting like "Captain Random" has been one of the best things I could have done: I'm able to see how my tongue develops over time with many choices rather than just a few. Then again, I'm able to stick with one when I really have something going, and am able to enjoy it.

Follow your nose, your instincts and have a good time--whatever that may be. 8)

I will agree with the idea of being a smoke slut!!!

I smoke mostly Aromatics, but love a good bowl of Northwoods from time to time, Ive bought in total a few pounds of different tobaccos with the idea that in a few years Ill like them. Havnt even opened or tried some of them either.

Cigars are the same way, My tastes will range from a Padron 3000 to a an Acid KUBA KUBA and depending on what Im eatng or drinking Ive been known to smoke a Cheep Bastard (actual name).

Ill tack on to the barber shop psychiatry for a second;

Taste and smell are the 2 most powerful sense's we have, they both can trigger memories of past events, good and bad. The whole reason I started smoking cigars was due to the simple fact it reminded me of my grandfather. I use to sit around and watch him smoke cigars or his pipe after dinner. One day my grand kids will too.