Forget Penzance, Taco Flavored Doritos are back!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlock999

Reaction score
Just nabbed me some first run bags of this old favorite which has recently been reintroduced!

Upon opening, the bag aroma was very promising: salty and kind of...musty, just like it should be. It comes dry and crunchy, and crumbles easily. My anticipation for the first bite was intense, however, care in mouthing was necessary because some of the larger chips were hard to stuff into my mouth. Quick munching was a little disappointing, with only small traces of the classic taste coming through, but slower, more measured chewing brought slightly better results.
DGT'd, the chips obviously lost some crunch, and the flavors were still much too subdued and not nearly as "brown" tasting as the original.

Overall, the reissue is much like certain recently re-released tobacco blends...similar to the original, enjoyable even, but not quite the real deal.
I'm still going to "cellar" a few dozen bags, just in case...maybe they'll age nicely.

P.S. Room note was undetectable.

I'm on my fourth bag and can't stop. I've been unable to hoard any 'cause I keep eating them!!!

They're flying out of the B&Ms around here almost as fast as the ever-elusive Jack Knife Plug did!

Tommy":r2f6ibxi said:
I'm on my fourth bag and can't stop. I've been unable to hoard any 'cause I keep eating them!!!

They're flying out of the B&Ms around here almost as fast as the ever-elusive Jack Knife Plug did!
Thank you! :cheers: :cheers: :lol!:

So far as OTC tortilla chips are concerned it´s one of Doritos finer offerings for sure. Most of us got our start with the "grocery store" stuff in small bags. Not a bad snack if it´s all you´ve been exposed to, but as our tastes and technique develop we discover other, more sophisticated flavors. I remember as a Dortios noob, I´d cut the roof of my mouth an the sharp edges, hahaha.

I´ve always felt the taco casing a little overbearing for my taste. (I´m more a traditional tortilla strip with light salt topping kind of guy. A slight hint of lime is nice on especially warm days) While enjoyable, the aftertaste can be overbearing, not to mention the heavy residue (or cake) on your fingers after finishing. Leaving the bag to air out a little after opening takes a little off the "crunch"-as a little humidity tends to soften them slightly. Not too much though- you still want a little "crackle" in there so it´s no mistake you´re eating a chip. That aside its a solid, no-nonsense taco chip... And a cool Corona on the side goes well with it.

For tortilla chips in general, I find that the deep frying process is probaly the biggest factor in producing a great chip. In the old days true manteca was used- and imparted a very rich flavor to this simplest of tortilla flakes. Just a simple corn tortilla deep fried in manteca. No flavorings, toppings or casings- just traight maiz masa. Even with Taco, Cool Ranch, Nacho Cheese, or whatever topping- the pure maiz and manteca base came through. Sealed bags of this are rare and very hard to find these days- and with the age on them I´d expect to pay a big premium on ebay. I saw a 250g General Foods (family era) bag sell at over $47.00 not too long ago!!

Today the reintroduction runs dont capture the simple home made flavor. Low grade vegetable oil is used (to lower cost) and the toppings are low grade chile powder loaded with preservatives to ensure long shelf life. Yes the packaging is virtually identical, but the old magic has been lost.

Also the low fat, non trans, health conscious antis out there are making it tougher for us. We´re virtually shunned for enjoying a classic American treat. "Baked, not fried" is the new PC thing. In fact, I´ve seen that actual legislation has been passed in some communities limiting the number of fast food establishments permitted in city limits!! Some schools have removed all vending machines that sell "junk food" to the student body. While Doritos and fast food seem like worlds apart, when one freedom becomes limited by government, we ALL pay the price. Hell, it´s MY body, I can eat what I wish- I am aware of the risks and CHOOSE to eat them anyway.

Anyhow, just for memory´s sake I will cellar a few bags. Perhaps to enjoy myself, or to trade in the future.

You are KILLING me MisterE!! (as usual) :cheers: :cheers: Great stuff! The OTC angle was excellent...kudos!

You're wasting your time, IMO, with TFD if you're handling it carelessly.

Get yourself a good, old wooden chip bowl. I find a well-seasoned Dansk second from 1955-65 with thick, wide sides does the magic trick.

Break the chips into equilateral triangles no bigger than a postage stamp and spinkle them into the bowl. Don't shake off any seasoning--the blenders at FL packaged them as it's meant to be enjoyed. Changing that is, IMO, heresy akin to using them to scoop up clam dip.

Slowly chew the chips. Don't worry if some fall out of your mouth. Put them back in the bowl and re-eat.

Set aside a good hour. Chew. Swallow. Repeat.

Perfection.

Doc Manhattan":funal5sc said:
You're wasting your time, IMO, with TFD if you're handling it carelessly.

Get yourself a good, old wooden chip bowl. I find a well-seasoned Dansk second from 1955-65 with thick, wide sides does the magic trick.

Break the chips into equilateral triangles no bigger than a postage stamp and spinkle them into the bowl. Don't shake off any seasoning--the blenders at FL packaged them as it's meant to be enjoyed. Changing that is, IMO, heresy akin to using them to scoop up clam dip.

Slowly chew the chips. Don't worry if some fall out of your mouth. Put them back in the bowl and re-eat.

Set aside a good hour. Chew. Swallow. Repeat.

Perfection.
:cheers: "the blenders at FL..." that's a good one!
Unfortunately, patience is not one of my virtues...
I've been known to deliberately crush bags of chips, then "drink" the pulverized chips from the bag, which is probably not too different from my pipe smoking "technique".

To you more experienced members,

A few noob questions:

Have you found that a wider bowl lends itself to the "triangling method"?? I´ve read on the boards that matching the bowl to the chip is essential. I´ve just eaten them from the bag- maybe this is the problem?

Also, is dedicating one bowl to Nacho Flavor and another strictly for Cool Ranch necessary?

Usually I just fold the bag shut after opening, but is a chip-clip the key to freshness? Or do you transfer the contents to a resealable container to preserve freshness?

I have the feeling I´ve been going about this all wrong....

Thanks in advance for your replies...

MisterE":grvrjcqe said:

A few noob questions:

Have you found that a wider bowl lends itself to the "triangling method"?? I´ve read on the boards that matching the bowl to the chip is essential. I´ve just eaten them from the bag- maybe this is the problem?

Also, is dedicating one bowl to Nacho Flavor and another strictly for Cool Ranch necessary?

Usually I just fold the bag shut after opening, but is a chip-clip the key to freshness? Or do you transfer the contents to a resealable container to preserve freshness?

Brilliance, sheer brilliance!
Doc may need to move this thread to the Snack Techniques category...

What would you recommend to drink with this blend?! I find if I eat them to fast my tongue burns?! Is that normal??

PS...I just sold 4 bags on ebay.

talrmn35":w3c9g6l2 said:
What would you recommend to drink with this blend?! I find if I eat them to fast my tongue burns?! Is that normal??

PS...I just sold 4 bags on ebay.
Only for the "collectible value" of the bags, and not for the unhealthy contents, I assume...

I haven't experienced any tongue bite as of yet,......I did get in a hurry about halfway through my first bowl and bit the hell out of my cheek though.

I forgot to mention the room note is not exactly aromatic,....according to a few colleagues who ventured into my office shortly after I had finished a bowl the other day remarked;

Dang,....it stinks in here, smells like someone's got Dorito Breath!" (not to be confused with Frito Breath, which is never cool!)

MisterE":3921f9xz said:

A few noob questions:

Experimentation is the key to finding the perfect bowl, try what you got, but remember aesthetics are key. If you don't enjoy your bowl you wont likely want to eat from it!

As for dedicating your bowls I find that "like" flavors tend to go well in the same bowl. Taco and ranch are a no go, but if you wanted to toss in some cheese into your taco bowl, go right ahead!

Generally a chip-clip will do the trick, so long as you finish those precious babies off in a timely manner! If cellaring keep 'em in the original bag, or if already opened, a separate air tight bag, try to keep em out of sunlight too.

talrmn35":3921f9xz said:
Oh, tough question. To me, at least, it depends on both my mood and setting. Inside a nice refreshing soda of your choice is always a good fall back, however a beer is also good. Water is to be avoided at all costs! This is akin to ordering the whole menu at McDonalds and finishing it off with a diet drink; you're already enjoying some doritos, treat yourself a little! Sometimes during spring and summer I like a little sweet tea with mine too, keep that on the table.
Ah yes, the infamous salt sore! That is a trouble for some beginners, the trick is to pace yourself and enjoy a drink (mentioned earlier). remind yourself, "This is not a race, self." and you'll be good to go.

I hope I helped some of you beginners out there, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have to throw out there, remember no question is stupid.

Tommy":zgjiq4vd said:
I haven't experienced any tongue bite as of yet,......I did get in a hurry about halfway through my first bowl and bit the hell out of my cheek though.
Yeah, I think Doc had mentioned eating SLOWLY was the key to full enjoyment....

I´ve got to be more aware of this too...

I don't know about you fellas, but I'm going to be buying these in bulk...there not exact but they are a "copy". I hope they are as good. But at least I'll be able to enjoy them long after Dorrito has disappeared.

Well, talrmn, you might not have to skimp on quality to stock up your cellar. The REAL thing in mega bulk delivered to your doorstep....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cw-G9ip_VlA" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MisterE":y2u1sv55 said:
I like this! Great idea on the Doritos Harlock!

Keep going everyone... :lol:
Thanks!

I have to confess that I was really excited when I saw the FL TFD at the 7-11 the other day. I was really into 'em way back when...I've even tried describing the taste to people who never experienced the original version. The best I could come up with was "Imagine sprinkling some Top Ramen flavoring powder on some corn chips".

I am of the opinion that some things disappear because they're meant to. This blender has since released a much more palatable flavor that can be enjoyed by novice and expert chip-eaters alike:

tumblr_l0xjvsJKrj1qb7ef0.png