Forget Penzance, Taco Flavored Doritos are back!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whiskeywillow":o6t9jq4d said:
I am of the opinion that some things disappear because they're meant to. This blender has since released a much more palatable flavor that can be enjoyed by novice and expert chip-eaters alike:

tumblr_l0xjvsJKrj1qb7ef0.png
Indeed, but I am a FL TFD (Family Era) loyalist.... while the new is a solid representation, it´s an entirely different blend. Kinda like comparing apples and oranges...

I have to learn from the masters. You never stop learning in this site. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

You fuckers are cracking me up. If this keeps up, everyone will start hoarding, I mean cellering these, so let's tell the outsiders that its the other taco blend that's great so we can keep these for ourselves. I bought 5 backs, one to enjoy now, then a year, five, ten and then twenty. Any ideas on the optimum conditions to store them in? The main thing that I'm worried about is one of the bags letting out the moisture and flavor. I think I'm going to store them in mason jars in my closet so the light doesn't get to it.

CPl_A":23p38ya1 said:
You fuckers are cracking me up. If this keeps up, everyone will start hoarding, I mean cellering these, so let's tell the outsiders that its the other taco blend that's great so we can keep these for ourselves. I bought 5 backs, one to enjoy now, then a year, five, ten and then twenty. Any ideas on the optimum conditions to store them in? The main thing that I'm worried about is one of the bags letting out the moisture and flavor. I think I'm going to store them in mason jars in my closet so the light doesn't get to it.
You're 100% right about the light, if it gets to it it'll wreak havoc on those precious babies within. I personally prefer to keep them in the original bags, they block out light well and are hold their air rather well. Once a month though I give all my cellared bags a firm groping to see if there are any air leaks, if there are i know I'll have one happy weekend coming up, if not it's business as usual (waiting, waiting and more waiting) in hopes for the perfect crunch, flavor, and aroma that's brewing in that baggie.

Even better idea. Find big mason jars and put the whole bag in there then seal so I have a double seal and won't disrupt the aging processes

Brothers, you bring a wealth of knowledge about this hobby. I never knew there were so many different variables that can go into the preperation and eating of chips. I've occasionally experimented with small bags of different blends, and enjoyed the experience. I have found Sun Chips to be an excellent blender, and Garden Salsa to be my go-to chip. I'm looking forward to becoming a more-serious chip eater, and learning new ways to maximize my enjoyment of the hobby! :lol:

Sun ships are a good blender, but I see there blends as more of a summer blend. FL TFD are a more hardery blend good for the winter.

Personally I am into the more "homegrown" chips

http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?manuf_code=298

http://www.martinschips.biz/

While growing up in Va in a small town not far from the kitc'n cook'd chip company I had many found memories of grandma going there to buy them. At the time they sold them in 5 gallon plastic buckets with resealable lids for parties as well a individual bags. Coinceidently they also carry the martins brand of chips. As far as the chips go taste wise they are simular to lays only have more of a potato aroma and a bit less salty (from what I remember). now the martins "waffle" (rippled) BBQ chips are one in a kind, no one that I know of makes BBQ chips in ripple form,once opening the bulk back the aroma of "smoked bbq" hits my olfactory nerve and immeditaly causes me to salivate in anticipation of feeling the tounge bite. It however is not a typical bite as it is warm and quite pleasing. It is the only chip that I have ever had that I fought over(my son loves them as well)

My parents,sister,brother in law and nephews came up to see me in august bringing 4 cases of them(4 bags per case) as well as large tea bags (can't find anything but instant tea in nj) and some mennonite homemade bread,rolls and applebutter. Immediatly my sons eyes lit up and he squeeled "make sweet tea please daddy, imma gonna open the chips" mom looks at me and says" if you deny that he is yours I will slap you" Needless to say the chips and tea bags are all gone.

https://thecheeseshopva.com/shop.aspx

You can get many of the things mentioned from here, another place in another town near where I lived

http://millersbakeshoppe.com/home.html

this is where the baked goods came from,I really miss home baked goods!

Obelus":eo91bvg7 said:
Granted they do not cellar as well, but the room note is so much better (sorry Chris, but my wife can't stand how I smell after a bowl of TFD), and to all you elitist types I do not have an immature palate...

monste10.jpg
Now you're talkin'!

My dad used to work for Frito Lay so he always brought home chips in giant bags. One of the dangers of this activity is that we sometimes were exposed to chip experiments which left me horrible scarred. In particular, I remember them doing some sort of, dorito, burrito, something batch. It was frikking horrid. My dad, of course just had a good laugh. God do I miss those 20 gallon trash bags of chips. Let's not even talk about the cookies he brough home!

Obelus":ttyv9alc said:
Granted they do not cellar as well, but the room note is so much better (sorry Chris, but my wife can't stand how I smell after a bowl of TFD), and to all you elitist types I do not have an immature palate...

monste10.jpg

WHOO HOOOO! personally though I preffer fruity pebbles,coco pebbles,and cap'n crunch. each have a wonderful room note! when my taste buds want a more "mature" flavor the corn flakes ,cheerios,and mini wheats come in.

Now the part that alot of you may look at me like I am crazy for

I love grits, yep you read that right I love them. But like any other self respecting southerner I don't do the instant. You can do so much more with them than you can with oatmeal. I have added fruits,berries, bacon,sausage gravy and many other things to grits (not at the same time mind you)