Forgive my Ignorance Cowboy Coffee

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I see where a lot of you say you have Cowboy Coffee in the morning. Is this a certain way you brew coffee, a brand of coffee or a tobacco blend? I love a good cup of coffee in the morning when smoking my morning bowl. I admit at times I am slow and don't catch on.

Both: it's a good tobacco blend by Country Squire, and it's also a method of making your coffee - basically boiling the grinds directly in the pot. I enjoy Cowboy Coffee (the drink) every now and then but to me once the acidity is completely boiled away the result is a little flat. Smooth yes, but not as nuanced as my French Press method. But you should definitely check out one of Cowboy Kent Rollins videos on YouTube about making Cowboy Coffee (and he's got lots of other great recipes too).

Mike, when I camped a lot I had a version of cowboy coffee that I shared earlier. Similar to what Paul of Burley suggested but to me easier to do. Used to take a 3 lb. coffee can ( hard to find these days) or you can use a heavy cast iron coffee pot. Fill 3/4 with water, toss in grounds to suit your taste, an eggshell if you have one, put on the fire or stove, bring to a boil, remove from fire/heat, let settle, repeat 2 more times, sit aside and let grounds settle. Keep on low heat to stay hot. Pour and enjoy.

I omit the eggshell, but everything else I would do in camp. Once the boil is off, the grounds tend to descend, and if you’re careful, no problemo. At worst, it’s a little extra oomph in your morning.

I also very much enjoy the Country Squire blend.

I make a variation of pour through. I put four coffee scoops of coarse ground coffee in a metal 20 oz. cup. I add 14 oz. of boiling water and stir for one minute. Then I pour everything through a Bodum pour through filter into the Bodum carafe. I let it settle for about a minute and pour it into my travel cup.